#SWFC Manager Jos Luhukay Interview

Very encouraging. Am I right in reading that as everyone back training except Fletch, Lee and Hooper, Hooper expected to join in next week or two and Lee/Fletch probably at some point before season starts?

Also great to hear he’s got eight academy lads training with the first team camp too. Exciting times.

Some people will probably find Jos’s understated approach underwhelming, but I really like the way he doesn’t bang on about promotion and make daft random claims about targets and timeframes. His stated goal is to be better than last year - if you do that year-on-year, you eventually go up. Right attitude IMO.

• Like 1

IMO a good interview, very positive in his outlook.

Glad to hear eight young lads training with the first team.

I like Jos, his interviews seem honest no talking in riddles like Carlos use to.

But dear oh dear Hooper and Fletcher still injured, they have now been out

since boxing day 2017.

Has any one any any idear what is wrong with either of them ? perhaps the sands of time are running out on their careers,

Anyway good luck to Jos for the new season, I can not wait for Wigan away.

UTO

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Very encouraging. Am I right in reading that as everyone back training except Fletch, Lee and Hooper, Hooper expected to join in next week or two and Lee/Fletch probably at some point before season starts?

Also great to hear he’s got eight academy lads training with the first team camp too. Exciting times.

Some people will probably find Jos’s understated approach underwhelming, but I really like the way he doesn’t bang on about promotion and make daft random claims about targets and timeframes. His stated goal is to be better than last year - if you do that year-on-year, you eventually go up. Right attitude IMO.

lol:luhukay:

UTO

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

IMO a good interview, very positive in his outlook.

Glad to hear eight young lads training with the first team.

I like Jos, his interviews seem honest no talking in riddles like Carlos use to.

But dear oh dear Hooper and Fletcher still injured, they have now been out

since boxing day 2017.

Has any one any any idear what is wrong with either of them ? perhaps the sands of time are running out on their careers,

Anyway good luck to Jos for the new season, I can not wait for Wigan away.

UTO

would be surprised if any were fit enough when season starts, they haven't played this year!

It'll be Joao & Nuihu up front v wigan I'm sure.

7 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

would be surprised if any were fit enough when season starts, they haven't played this year!

It'll be Joao & Nuihu up front v wigan I'm sure.

What about the pre-season friendly matches and Jos will have them super fit compared to last seasons debacle under you know who.

Lee Bullen spoke to us at our table during the VIP brekkie, and he said some long-term injuries were back in training now, with the rest being drip fed back in. He said the players all reported back in good shape and they had tailored training regimes for the break to ensure they came back in good condition. He didn't name any names, but was positive on the whole, and things look encouraging in terms of fitness and injuries. It's "better than before", he said!

• Like 4

Sounds like they're fit but are just being eased back in due to how long they've been out.

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

Lee Bullen spoke to us at our table during the VIP brekkie, and he said some long-term injuries were back in training now, with the rest being drip fed back in. He said the players all reported back in good shape and they had tailored training regimes for the break to ensure they came back in good condition. He didn't name any names, but was positive on the whole, and things look encouraging in terms of fitness and injuries. It's "better than before", he said!

Bullen also said the rumours of a lack of fitness and  in the squad was crap if I remember correctly .

3 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Bullen also said the rumours of a lack of fitness and  in the squad was crap if I remember correctly .

Exactly. It was obvious our players weren't fit enough last season. Didn't Jos say so himself that there was a lack of fitness?

2 minutes ago, marshy said:

Exactly. It was obvious our players weren't fit enough last season. Didn't Jos say so himself that there was a lack of fitness?

That's right , just after he'd taken over from Bullen 

8 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Not seen any photos of training this time, has anybody else? Makes me suspicious. What about JVA,? As well, ? 

JVA is back training. Only Hooper/Fletcher and Lee that are being eased back. 

Got to say I'm slightly concerned, our strongest 11 is still very similar to the 11 who lost the playoff final, and what differences there are don't improve our strongest 11. I just hope the younger lads hit the ground running and make a difference because we certainly won't be signing anyone after listening to Joe's interview. 

21 hours ago, Maltby owl83 said:

Got to say I'm slightly concerned, our strongest 11 is still very similar to the 11 who lost the playoff final, and what differences there are don't improve our strongest 11. I just hope the younger lads hit the ground running and make a difference because we certainly won't be signing anyone after listening to Joe's interview. 

True enough, however, there's still 4 weeks before kickoff, and during the Jos Interim-Months of last season, he definitely changed the Starting 11, who would have bet, in August of last season, that Nuhiu would be the leading goal-scorer for SWFC during the 2017-18 season?  Or that Joao would come alive?  

Jos is looking through his new house, and see's no reason to look elsewhere, same as Owlstalk members saw the Squad, in 2017-18, even the "bookies" saw no reason to bet that SWFC would not at least make the playoff's, even less that SWFC would finish in the bottom half of the table.  It would not be a surprise, to see not just the composition of the First 11 change, for Match 1, 2018-19 season, but also to see changes in formation(s), tactics, fitness, and medical advice. 

Jos is not going to play like Carlos, he's shown that since Day 1.  Suddenly,  the Squad puts together some good form, and in the worst of conditions.  Injuries?  Out of shape?  Jos looks at the depth, works with it, and prevents the very real possibility of 3rd Division football.  On top of that, he's given some of us at least, hope for 2018-19.  Especially because he's giving a rather talented group of "youngsters", at least a look, and often as not a chance to play in a 2nd Division Match.

Under Jos, I'd expect changes from Squad Level, to 1st 11 Level, but not necessarily changes in the players available.  SWFC has depth, both Veteran and Academy.  I know, a natural LB, CB, a commanding CM....Jos just may find all of those, in house.  It may not be the players' talents, but rather the formation(s), tactics, fitness, and a competent medical staff.  Jos hit the deck running, and he probably hasn't stopped, the new season is upon us, and we'll just have to see what Jos does,

Do you not like what he's done so far?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

True enough, however, there's still 4 weeks before kickoff, and during the Jos Interim-Months of last season, he definitely changed the Starting 11, who would have bet, in August of last season, that Nuhiu would be the leading goal-scorer for SWFC during the 2017-18 season?  Or that Joao would come alive?  

Jos is looking through his new house, and see's no reason to look elsewhere, same as Owlstalk members saw the Squad, in 2017-18, even the "bookies" saw no reason to bet that SWFC would not at least make the playoff's, even less that SWFC would finish in the bottom half of the table.  It would not be a surprise, to see not just the composition of the First 11 change, for Match 1, 2018-19 season, but also to see changes in formation(s), tactics, fitness, and medical advice. 

Jos is not going to play like Carlos, he's shown that since Day 1.  Suddenly,  the Squad puts together some good form, and in the worst of conditions.  Injuries?  Out of shape?  Jos looks at the depth, works with it, and prevents the very real possibility of 3rd Division football.  On top of that, he's given some of us at least, hope for 2018-19.  Especially because he's giving a rather talented group of "youngsters", at least a look, and often as not a chance to play in a 2nd Division Match.

Under Jos, I'd expect changes from Squad Level, to 1st 11 Level, but not necessarily changes in the players available.  SWFC has depth, both Veteran and Academy.  I know, a natural LB, CB, a commanding CM....Jos just may find all of those, in house.  It may not be the players' talents, but rather the formation(s), tactics, fitness, and a competent medical staff.  Jos hit the deck running, and he probably hasn't stopped, the new season is upon us, and we'll just have to see what Jos does,

Do you not like what he's done so far?

Great assessment! I think Jos has done a Brilliant Job, no question, in difficult circumstances. I'm just concerned that things may go stale if we can't freshen up the playing staff. At the back we are desperate for a LB/LWB, at least 1 CB and a RB/RWB, Palmer is horrendous and Hunt needs competition. Midfield will pose a problem as we can't rely on Lee and Hutchinson or Abdi for that matter, Jones isn't good enough so that leaves Bannan and Pelupessy. We have got to replace Wallace too. For me that's the bare minimum, there are also certain ingredients missing from the mix such as pace and power, I just don't see us competing at the top, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.