Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Not wanting to turn this into another anti-Carlos thread as that’s been done to death. But the manager we had during those 2.5 years of recruitment was equally to blame in my opinion, and that’s been unfortunate.

 

Decent enough players were signed but never given a fair chance or managed very well, Lachman, McGugan, Mcmanaman, Buckley, Abdi, Venancio etc. Abdi being the main example, where a premier league player who had stared in this league in the season before was not incorporated into the team. According to Don howson there were several times in that second season where Abdi wasn’t in the squad for tactical reasons. The tactical reason being Carlos stubborn refusal to change his 442 formation 

 

If you imagine a manager like Jokanovic taking over in that second summer, no doubt we would have played a 433 system which incorporated Abdi in midfield and Forestieri on the left of a front 3.  (Awaiting someone to come along and say that Forestieri wasn’t played much under Jokanovic at Watford, but that’s not really the point is it). 

 

Jos showed in his first game in charge that he was willing to use a different formation to get the most out of the players he had been given, something I didn’t see the previous manager do that often. 

 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Not wanting to turn this into another anti-Carlos thread as that’s been done to death. But the manager we had during those 2.5 years of recruitment was equally to blame in my opinion, and that’s been unfortunate.

 

Decent enough players were signed but never given a fair chance or managed very well, Lachman, McGugan, Mcmanaman, Buckley, Abdi, Venancio etc. Abdi being the main example, where a premier league player who had stared in this league in the season before was not incorporated into the team. According to Don howson there were several times in that second season where Abdi wasn’t in the squad for tactical reasons. The tactical reason being Carlos stubborn refusal to change his 442 formation 

 

If you imagine a manager like Jokanovic taking over in that second summer, no doubt we would have played a 433 system which incorporated Abdi in midfield and Forestieri on the left of a front 3.  (Awaiting someone to come along and say that Forestieri wasn’t played much under Jokanovic at Watford, but that’s not really the point is it). 

 

Jos showed in his first game in charge that he was willing to use a different formation to get the most out of the players he had been given, something I didn’t see the previous manager do that often. 

 

 

So true, with proper player management and fitness training the team could have been as below, which would have challenged Brighton for second place imo. We’ve wasted so much money when it should have been about quality and fitness. Not quantity and holidays  

 

                 Westwood 

Hunt     Lees        Lachman   Pudil 

                 Hutchinson 

            Abdi           Bannan 

     Hooper                  Forestieri 

                      Joao 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre last two posts. 

 

Abdi has been dreadful for every single minute he has played for us bar about 20 mins v forest. That’s not about position, it’s about application and ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Bizarre last two posts. 

 

Abdi has been dreadful for every single minute he has played for us bar about 20 mins v forest. That’s not about position, it’s about application and ability.

 

Talking about bizarre posts, Abdi’s ability was fine before he signed for us. Must be something in the sheffield water that turned him into a bad player overnight. We’ll just agree to disagree on that one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

 

Talking about bizarre posts, Abdi’s ability was fine before he signed for us. Must be something in the sheffield water that turned him into a bad player overnight. We’ll just agree to disagree on that one 

Also the fact is he has been injury prone since he signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abdi retired when he moved to sheffield, so have a few others, was a bit of misunderstanding is all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2018 at 15:49, mcmigo said:

Bizarre last two posts. 

 

Abdi has been dreadful for every single minute he has played for us bar about 20 mins v forest. That’s not about position, it’s about application and ability.

You can say a lot of things about Abdi but you can't question his ability, the season before joining us he was one of the best players for a premiership team that more than held its own, there wasn't a fan alive that didn't rave about about his signing, sadly Carlos and injuries have taken there toll and I don't think we will ever see the real Abdi.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:01, MAL said:

 

Sorry to pick on you post DM, but i keep seeing this time and time again.

 

Can someone please explain to me, like i am a fick thuck (yeah alright)...

 

How can we tie them down to a longer contract, or any contract, if they "do not want to sign".

 

 

 

 

you cant if they don't want to sign but you can offer them a better deal than they can get elsewhere if you really want them to stay . …….i'm a believer in you pay players what you think they are worth to you rather than what they demand but if you stick to that principle there's a good chance they'll walk away . ..it's a very difficult situation for the club with players like joao,bannan,lees, westwood hooper etc etc  in the last year of there contracts .some problems on the horizon for the hierarchy  to sort out I think . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×