Preslav Borukov

Borukov signs Owls contract

Just now

Large

Owls academy product Preslav Borukov has signed his first professional contract with Wednesday.

The bustling forward has proven a tremendous asset in the Owls’ attack at youth level since joining the club from PFC Levski Sofia in summer 2016.

The Bulgarian youth international enjoyed an eye-catching campaign last time out for both the Under-18s and Under-23s, earning widespread acclaim in the process.

Speaking exclusively to swfc.co.uk, the 18-year old said: “I’m really happy and I’ve worked really hard for the two years in my scholarship.

borukov_coventry_.jpg

“I’m happy to be a professional footballer at Sheffield Wednesday, my target now is to reach the first team.”

With goals on a regular basis for the 18s and 23s, the teenager went from strength to strength during the 2017/18 run-in, with one of the highlights an impressive hat-trick against Crewe at Middlewood Road.

The forward has also impressed on international duty, scoring against Macedonia and Georgia for Bulgaria’s Under-18s at the beginning of the June.

He added: “Last season was a great experience, I had the pleasure to play with good players in the Under-23s.

borukov_coventry.jpg

“I want to lead as an example of what it means to be a professional football player and now I need to follow the first team players and learn from them.

“I want to thank Sheffield Wednesday for giving me the opportunity to prove myself in England and giving me the chance to play.

“I also want to thank all the staff at the club for their support. And I want to thank my team mates because without them helping me I wouldn’t be here now signing my first professional contract.

“The staff have helped me a lot, when I was 16 I left my parents, my home and my friends in Bulgaria. So when I came here the people helped me a lot and they’ve made me a better player.”