Jordan Rhodes to move from #SWFC to Norwich City?

6 minutes ago, j17tjp said:

i think it’s generally known as “the pub league” on here 

I did wonder about all the "Pub League" comments seen frequently on Owlstalk.   Wow, that was close, SWFC in the Pub League?  Holy Crap, all of my "formative"  years regarding SWFC were in the late 1960's and all throughout the 1970's....In any case, Rhodes is now Pub League, and if Norwich wants to pay anything, take it, still going to lose millions, but you win some, and lose some.

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think this loan deal will go through. Can’t see a full transfer as it will represent too much of a risk to Norwich. £2m loan fee to cover our ongoing commitments to Boro plus Norwich will cover full salary.

Thing is, ain't nobody else looking at Rhodes, Norwich is in the drivers seat.  Their offer, is likely to be the only offer.  If their offer isn't what SWFC wants, ;SWFC can afford to eat the loss, and let him sit out his contract, which will result in Rhodes getting no offers in the future, at least no offers in if he even wants to play football anymore.

29 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

£3m just to loan a player ? Is this normal , goodness me !! , if he was on form well maybe but how can we justify such a fee . Rather think we should be bending over backwards to offload players we can’t afford or don’t want .

When you say "we can't afford."

I suggest that is your opinion.

When you say "dont want."

I suggest that is your opinion..

You don't speak for everyone. 

You certainly don't speak for me.

I DO NOT WANT JORDAN RHODES TO LEAVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.

In my opinion it would be a bad move for the club.

Clubs seeking promotion do not get rid of their best players.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Neon Nick said:

Thing is, ain't nobody else looking at Rhodes, Norwich is in the drivers seat.  Their offer, is likely to be the only offer.  If their offer isn't what SWFC wants, ;SWFC can afford to eat the loss, and let him sit out his contract, which will result in Rhodes getting no offers in the future, at least no offers in if he even wants to play football anymore.

I imagine more will look at him as the window comes to a close. He's 28 and a manager will believe they can restore his goal scoring exploits. Goalscorers are hard to come by and if they can restore it they'll have a quality signing for minimal long-term outlay. If not then it's just an expensive loan. I imagine they'll be plenty of interest come transfer deadline/ loan window closing.

12 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

Wednesday want a £3 million loan fee for Rhodes and then theres the issue of his 50 grand a week wages. 

Norwich must be absolutely insane if they pay that kind of money for Rhodes. 

He's worthless now. 

Thanks to our bonkers owner, Rhodes has three years left at Wednesday. He's guaranteed at least £8 million and there's nothing we can do about it if he decides to sit out his contract.

No other club will even pay him ten grand a week anymore. He's past it. It's clear from his performances that he's no interest in the game. He Intentionally gets into positionz where he won't get the ball. The few occasions he gets it he deliberately gives it away. 

Last season he had at least 15 one on one's and didn't score any of them. 

What does that tell you? 

Any team that takes Rhodes will probably play in straitjackets. 

The big question is why did our owner enter into such an appalling contract who failed so badly. We actually rewarded a failure with an improved deal and paid more for him than boro did. 

In the real world his price should have gone down. 

Our owner paid more. 

What a club. 

It want a gamble at the time as his past record was the best in the league, but it hasn’t worked out, these things happen. The owner isn’t bonkers because of that. In today’s market, the top championship goal scorer on around 40k? Sounds about right to me 

3 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

I imagine more will look at him as the window comes to a close. He's 28 and a manager will believe they can restore his goal scoring exploits. Goalscorers are hard to come by and if they can restore it they'll have a quality signing for minimal long-term outlay. If not then it's just an expensive loan. I imagine they'll be plenty of interest come transfer deadline/ loan window closing.

I hope so, for his sake and ours, but I don't see it happening.  When a quality striker becomes available, early offers, indeed standing offers, are prolific.  Norwich is flush with 1st Division money, for now, and they may gamble some millions, because they got relegated, but have money....It will be interesting to see what transpires before the first window closes, but I'd still bet that that Norwich will be the only interested Club.  

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It want a gamble at the time as his past record was the best in the league, but it hasn’t worked out, these things happen. The owner isn’t bonkers because of that. In today’s market, the top championship goal scorer on around 40k? Sounds about right to me 

I would still be ready to see what Jos can do with him now that they both have had the time to prepare for a new season. Last season was such turmoil that I for one cannot make any clear judgments regarding things.

59 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think this loan deal will go through. Can’t see a full transfer as it will represent too much of a risk to Norwich. £2m loan fee to cover our ongoing commitments to Boro plus Norwich will cover full salary.

...which means, (if he's on 35-40k p.w.) we have the best part of 4m to play with to help find a CB, LB and winger.  Add to that, wages saved by our leavers (Wallace, Loovens & Kean).  Should do the job.  

46 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

When you say "we can't afford."

I suggest that is your opinion.

When you say "dont want."

I suggest that is your opinion..

You don't speak for everyone. 

You certainly don't speak for me.

I DO NOT WANT JORDAN RHODES TO LEAVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.

In my opinion it would be a bad move for the club.

Clubs seeking promotion do not get rid of their best players.

Best players , your opinion that , How do you come to the conclusion Jordan Rhodes is one of our best players ? . 

It seems fairly clear that we are close to breaking FFP do you not agree ?

16 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

...which means, (if he's on 35-40k p.w.) we have the best part of 4m to play with to help find a CB, LB and winger.  Add to that, wages saved by our leavers (Wallace, Loovens & Kean).  Should do the job.  

Hopefully, yes! I think the £3m loan fee quoted is a way to start the game of agreeing a loan fee. Meet in the middle. 

I dont see us been able to agree a full transfer given his form over the last 2/3 seasons. However, Norwich may be prepared to pay £2m plus wages for a striker who could give them the goals that they require.

Hopefully, this deal will allow us to bring in a couple to address some of our shortcomings. We are adequately covered in the central striking department and if he stays he won’t get a look in next season. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What if we loan him to Norwich and he scores the goals over the season that keeps us from reaching the top 6 on goal difference?

Well you'll have a lovely super thread on here for one thing. Every cloud..........

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
36 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Hopefully, yes! I think the £3m loan fee quoted is a way to start the game of agreeing a loan fee. Meet in the middle. 

I dont see us been able to agree a full transfer given his form over the last 2/3 seasons. However, Norwich may be prepared to pay £2m plus wages for a striker who could give them the goals that they require.

Hopefully, this deal will allow us to bring in a couple to address some of our shortcomings. We are adequately covered in the central striking department and if he stays he won’t get a look in next season. 

If we got £3m including wages we'll have done well IMO.

We need to offload at least one striker.

Not only for financial reasons, assuming that is the case, but also for performance reasons.

You need competition for places, cover for injury etc but players in the squad need to feel they have a realistic chance of playing or it affects the whole feel good factor within the squad.

We have too many strikers, even though anybody can probably make a case for keeping each one individually, but we need to stop faffing about and get a realistic deal done.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

What if we loan him to Norwich and he scores the goals over the season that keeps us from reaching the top 6 on goal difference?

Then we should have scored more/conceded less. I don’t think we could blame an entire seasons failings on one player from another team.