Jordan Rhodes to move from #SWFC to Norwich City?

On 25/06/2018 at 07:55, Southie_Owl said:

I’m still deluded enough to think Rhodes isn’t finished yet so I think at a team that play to his strengths he’ll do alright. 

I just hope we put a clause that he can’t play against us, and he has to score hatricks against the pigs 

Fixed it for you 

:stuwinky: 

Jos said a while back he would like to get his business done early so any new players could be in during pre season, but its looking like we cant move until we get Rhodes out. I might be wrong, but i just have a feeling we have a deal agreed for Fred ,but cant do owt until we get one of the big earners out. 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

but i just have a feeling we have a deal agreed for Fred ,but cant do owt until we get one of the big earners out. 

Nah mate we don't, according to Venancio's club chairman, there has been no bids at all for him. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/claim-sheffield-wednesday-make-move-frederico-venancio-vitoria-president-says-no-offers/

On 24/06/2018 at 20:44, @owlstalk said:

Strong rumours that the Norwich City thing might actually be the real deal and that Jordan Rhodes might be off on a season long loan to Carrow Road

Be interesting (if true) how much of his wages they're able to cover

On 24/06/2018 at 20:44, @owlstalk said:

Rumours this end are that talks have broken down, the two clubs have agreed wages to be paid  but you want a £3m loan fee for the seasons loan which is excessive. Appreciate from reading you all think we're in the money having got £34m for Maddison/Murphy but we're not, we have a £25m parachute payment hole to fill this season plus still have 4 players on premier wages with a year left on their contracts. Plus of course the Maddison/Murphy money is as you all probably know not paid upfront . Think we would like to take Rhodes off your hands but not at a cost of over £4m for a season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carbone said:

£3m loan fee - hilarious 

Does anyone still wonder why nobody ever leaves us? Chansiri wanting stupid unrealistic money for our players 

That's not a bad message to get across in fairness.  Sets us up for any potential raids on our best players.

34 minutes ago, cowl said:

£3 million does seem excessive though if true.

Maybe we could make it such that maybe half of it comes only should Norwich go up.

Sounds sensible & think you would have a deal then

Edited by Canaryfan
mistake

7 minutes ago, Canaryfan said:

Sounds sensible & think you would have a deal then

I can't imagine any club going along with paying £3 million up front a year for him, so if we can't strike a deal with Norwich given that wages have been agreed, then I can't see us striking a deal with anyone else.

One thing I'm unsure of though is about the wages. Are Norwich going to pay him what we're currently paying him? If not and we'd essentially be subsidising his wages, I could see why we'd want to offset this with a big loan fee - but then since this is a season loan, I don't think there's any accounting advantages to be had either way.

This edges me towards thinking that Norwich have agreed to pay him what we're currently paying him, and I'd say that that's already a pretty good deal if so. Given that we allegedly paid about £8 million for him and he signed a 4 year contract then the amortization rate would be £2 million per year, and to get a £3 million loan fee for him would be to essentially make an accounting profit of £1 million on him for this year.

That would be fantastic business by Chansiri and Meire and kudos to them if they managed to get Norwich (or some other team) to pay that, but it really does seem unrealistic given the kind of form Rhodes has shown over the last couple of seasons. Still, maybe they're just trying to soften Norwich up with high demands, only to drop down to a less unreasonable figure over the coming weeks?

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

£3m loan fee - hilarious 

Does anyone still wonder why nobody ever leaves us? Chansiri wanting stupid unrealistic money for our players 

Makes a change from flogging players on the cheap - Antonio etc

Also it's a negotiation - we say we want £3m, they say £1m, we meet somewhere in the middle or we don't

• Like 1

3million seems about right. 

He is a goalscorer. Exactly what they need. 

They can take a chance elsewhere but they know what they are getting with Rhodes. 

If they want a top championship striker they shouldn't expect him on the cheap. I'm glad we aren't bending over and getting shafted again. 

If it doesn't happen, so be it. 

Edited by Beholder

9 minutes ago, addedtime said:

And then we are stuck.

We are stuck at present, paying his wages and not playing him.

Better to try and recoup some of what we have paid out in transfer fees and wages if he is not in Jos's plans.