BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

You're seriously satisfied then that merely because you're irresponsible enough to do things 'just because', that the owner of our club is fine to do the same?

I'll remember his frivolous attitude to generating income the next time he appeals to us to dig deeper into our pockets in our support of the team.

You do things 'just because' when you have standards, morals and a sense of what is right and wrong. Maybe instead of saying 'just because', I should say 'because that's how I felt about the situation'.

In a much broader statement, as you have obviously deigned the right to call my own sense of right and wrong irresponsible, perhaps you could tell me what gives you any God given right to criticise the owner? It his company and he can and will do whatever the f**k he wants with it without checking with you first. If you don't want to pay higher prices, don't.

Obviously I am playing Devil's Advocate here as this is not actually how I feel but in all honesty, is that not the reality of modern football?

The fact of the matter is GH wanted 20k which i heard from a very close source! Hence why SWFC refused to deal.

Now can we close this thread as its embarrassing and nearly 100 pages long for a player who has made about 1st team appearance! 

1 minute ago, James1986 said:

The fact of the matter is GH wanted 20k which i heard from a very close source! Hence why SWFC refused to deal.

Now can we close this thread as its embarrassing and nearly 100 pages long for a player who has made about 1st team appearance! 

Yeah right, I suppose the Belgian second division club have matched his demands.

lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

The freezing out was pathetic, embarrassing and plain silly. As are the excuses made for it.

It is a disgusting blight on our reputation. For years we've had a reputation of having a poor academy, and right as it's showing evidence of turning the corner, we did that to what arguably should be our most prized asset in years (sentimental as well as potential). 

Ridiculous

1 minute ago, James1986 said:

You neither had to read it nor contribute. If you are not interested and know the facts anyway, why bother subjecting yourself to other people's opinions?

If you are interested, I'm sure you would find that very little of this thread is about George Hirst, if you have no recognition of a bigger picture here, Love Island might be more up your street.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

As far as I am aware -

- George is a Wednesday fan, has come through the ranks at SWFC and wanted to follow his dad by playing for the club

- He was offered a contract in around May 2017 - he (on the advice of others) rejected it, and put forward a counter-proposal

- His counter-proposal was rejected, and he was told that until he signed a contract he would be pulled from training with the first team and pulled from playing with any team

- This understandably made the situation very tense and both sides dug in their heels

The catalyst for the souring of relations was the freezing out - if that hadn't happened George may well have been an established first team player by now. Instead, Hirst was advised not to stay at a club that would treat him that way. The same thing happened with Sean Clare, but with more bizarre circumstances (he made his debut a day after being frozen out when Ross Wallace picked up an injury and Clare was needed).

I'm certain BOTH sides have made poor decisions over the last year, but only one side has aired its side of the story.

What has baffled me is that Wednesday fans have taken the club's explanation as gospel and rounded on the Hirst's, without waiting for their explanation.

How long do we have to wait?

It's been 6 months now.

21 minutes ago, cowl said:

Obviously. The question is why didn't he want to sell him if he was otherwise quite prepared to prevent him from playing or going out on loan.

Could be a compensation thing. Playing him would’ve generated more compensation but perhaps there was some advice that £x would be recieved as a fall back. Who knows. It was also suggested they turned it down before they knew he was leaving wasn’t it?

Beyond that it all seems a bit irrational by both parties at times and driven by something else.

Just now, StudentOwl said:

It is a disgusting blight on our reputation. For years we've had a reputation of having a poor academy, and right as it's showing evidence of turning the corner, we did that to what arguably should be our most prized asset in years (sentimental as well as potential). 

Ridiculous

Lesson learned hopefully although trying it with Clare was also a bit silly.

1 minute ago, londonowl said:

You do things 'just because' when you have standards, morals and a sense of what is right and wrong. Maybe instead of saying 'just because', I should say 'because that's how I felt about the situation'.

In a much broader statement, as you have obviously deigned the right to call my own sense of right and wrong irresponsible, perhaps you could tell me what gives you any God given right to criticise the owner? It his company and he can and will do whatever the f**k he wants with it without checking with you first. If you don't want to pay higher prices, don't.

Obviously I am playing Devil's Advocate here as this is not actually how I feel but in all honesty, is that not the reality of modern football?

Why would I need God's permission before criticizing someone? And if you're ridiculous 'Devil's Advocate' position is merely to point out that he can do what he wants because he's the owner, then no-one would dispute that he can do what he wants, but like anyone who does what they want there really ought to be consequences.

11 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Apologies, I keep forgetting we have fluffys and melts who are very easily upset.

Lol

If only Geoff Sheard had got his hands on the club, it could have all been so different.

• Haha 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole
9 minutes ago, James1986 said:

Bloody hell, this throws a whole new light on things.

CLOSE THE THREAD

24 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

As far as I am aware -

- George is a Wednesday fan, has come through the ranks at SWFC and wanted to follow his dad by playing for the club

You're a proper Wednesday fan Kivo, if you were Hirst would you have just signed for some tinpot outfit in Belguim so you could screw Wednesday?

I know I wouldn't.

• Like 1

Just now, FreshOwl said:

You would think if the Hirsts really gave a throw that they would put out a statement refuting the claims if necessary 

To us fans, the silence paints a picture 

That may happen when the transfer officially goes through & George's contract ends.End of June/ beginning July.