BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

3 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

George very much wanted to stay here.

Just because he wanted a better deal than was initially offered doesn't mean the contrary.

Kivo - I know you have strong views on this, but the key is the respective valuations of GH's salary in August 2017.

Would be conceivable that GH did indeed want to leave, as he knew he a) would get a better deal in the PL, and b) was behind a plethora of established strikers @ SWFC for the foreseeable future meaning at least another year in the U23s and therefore, that's how SWFC where valuing his salary.

If so, then would it be possible that GH and his advisors requested a ridiculous salary demand because they wanted to leave anyhow and they though this would make DC's mind up to sell?

1 minute ago, londonowl said:

Sorry, my post was in response to someone who said 'going along with the deal' and then you said planning the deal and engineering a deal were the same thing and I got me a bit confused!

many thanks, you had me going back through my postings as i didn't recognise it, thought it was the alzheimer's kicking in again.

GH wanted to stay yet didn't bother to respond to communications from the club. You can say that George wanted to stay but his advisors wouldn't negotiate but that's on George. He's young but he's a full grown man old enough to go and die for his country.

Edited by londonowl

4 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Maybe he just didn't want to. 

Obviously. The question is why didn't he want to sell him if he was otherwise quite prepared to prevent him from playing or going out on loan.

Just now, cowl said:

Obviously. The question is why didn't he want to sell him if he was otherwise quite prepared to prevent him from playing or going out on loan.

Do you never do anything 'just because'? Most people can be guilty of cutting their noses off to spite their face just because somebody has pi**ed us off. I know I can, I run my own business and have been known to do things against my owns interests just to stop someone getting something from me that I have decided they don't 'deserve'..

3 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Can't see that happening, even Iniesta was only valued at 200,000 bottles of wine!

Doyen said that they had negotiated a stellar deal for George. David Hirst misunderstood and is waiting for the Stella to arrive from Belgium.

• Haha 2

Just now, cowl said:

DC's way of man management that backfired.

DC was apparently still hoping to sign up GH right up to Christmas time. Locking GH in the cupboard under the stairs was a novel way of doing negotiations. But at the same time if GH's advisors were telling him to say nowt, then the situation had descended into a farce.

Look the whole think has been a massive balls up from both sides, DC let emotion get involved in a business decision and young George has had his head turned by his agent and the hype around him without playing a first team game. 

The bit i don't understand is why we didn't send him out on loan in August last year, 6 month loan in league 1 or 2, if he did great then sell him in January or as happened with the injuries come back and play and earn himself a first team standard contract. Instead we know the rest

6 minutes ago, dfoster said:

If he'd really wanted to stay he could have. Even if he was made an offer below market value there's no law saying he MUST go and search the world for the largest amount of money possible ... Weds would no doubt have paid him at least 250k a year for 4 yrs and there was a solid career plan spelled out to him. If he'd really wanted to be part of it here he could have, without doubt.

As for his dad, I know two people to whom David made remarks v similar to Buxtongent reports. Quite why his dad seemed so determined to move the lad on perhaps we will never know.

If George has moved against his wishes but on the advice of those he relies upon then it really is a great shame. He had the chance to become a true hero here but he took another path.

As far as I am aware -

- George is a Wednesday fan, has come through the ranks at SWFC and wanted to follow his dad by playing for the club

- He was offered a contract in around May 2017 - he (on the advice of others) rejected it, and put forward a counter-proposal

- His counter-proposal was rejected, and he was told that until he signed a contract he would be pulled from training with the first team and pulled from playing with any team

- This understandably made the situation very tense and both sides dug in their heels

The catalyst for the souring of relations was the freezing out - if that hadn't happened George may well have been an established first team player by now. Instead, Hirst was advised not to stay at a club that would treat him that way. The same thing happened with Sean Clare, but with more bizarre circumstances (he made his debut a day after being frozen out when Ross Wallace picked up an injury and Clare was needed).

I'm certain BOTH sides have made poor decisions over the last year, but only one side has aired its side of the story.

What has baffled me is that Wednesday fans have taken the club's explanation as gospel and rounded on the Hirst's, without waiting for their explanation.

• Thanks 2

We’ve been shafted and it will happen again maybe even to us until the FA bother to look further than the end of their nose. 

Don’t expect that to happen anytime soon. Football is a dirty business these days, full of sharks from agents to owners. 

All anyone cares about is the PL and it’s riches and to hell with anyone who tries and gets in the way. GJ would have probably gone for a lesser sum than was once offered such is my faith in the system but hard up Leicester decided they could’t pay the lowly sum of 1-2 million and used their Belgian ***** to effectively launder a player. 

Modern football ladies and gents. 

1 minute ago, londonowl said:

Do you never do anything 'just because'? Most people can be guilty of cutting their noses off to spite their face just because somebody has pi**ed us off. I know I can, I run my own business and have been known to do things against my owns interests just to stop someone getting something from me that I have decided they don't 'deserve'..

You're seriously satisfied then that merely because you're irresponsible enough to do things 'just because', that the owner of our club is fine to do the same?

I'll remember his frivolous attitude to generating income the next time he appeals to us to dig deeper into our pockets in our support of the team.

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

DC's way of man management that backfired.

DC was apparently still hoping to sign up GH right up to Christmas time. Locking GH in the cupboard under the stairs was a novel way of doing negotiations. But at the same time if GH's advisors were telling him to say nowt, then the situation had descended into a farce.

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Agrees with Mr. Mole about nobody 'sticking the boot in'...while simultaneously sticking the boot in. You couldn't make it up. lol

Apologies, I keep forgetting we have fluffys and melts who are very easily upset.

Lol

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

You're seriously satisfied then that merely because you're irresponsible enough to do things 'just because', that the owner of our club is fine to do the same?

I'll remember his frivolous attitude to generating income the next time he appeals to us to dig deeper into our pockets in our support of the team.

And thats what it ultimately comes down to.

Nail on head.

9 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

As far as I am aware -

- George is a Wednesday fan, has come through the ranks at SWFC and wanted to follow his dad by playing for the club

- He was offered a contract in around May 2017 - he (on the advice of others) rejected it, and put forward a counter-proposal

- His counter-proposal was rejected, and he was told that until he signed a contract he would be pulled from training with the first team and pulled from playing with any team

- This understandably made the situation very tense and both sides dug in their heels

The catalyst for the souring of relations was the freezing out - if that hadn't happened George may well have been an established first team player by now. Instead, Hirst was advised not to stay at a club that would treat him that way. The same thing happened with Sean Clare, but with more bizarre circumstances (he made his debut a day after being frozen out when Ross Wallace picked up an injury and Clare was needed).

I'm certain BOTH sides have made poor decisions over the last year, but only one side has aired its side of the story.

What has baffled me is that Wednesday fans have taken the club's explanation as gospel and rounded on the Hirst's, without waiting for their explanation.

The freezing out was pathetic, embarrassing and plain silly. As are the excuses made for it.

• Thanks 1