BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

Throughout this whole saga both him and his dad have shown a complete lack of respect for the Club/Chairman/fans/team mates etc. and this puts the final nail in the coffin.

I'm glad he has now gone and we can focus on developing the youngsters who actually want to wear the shirt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

How much have we potentially lost in compensation? 

Probably in the figure of 500k plus for sure....but then again, if reports were true of us rejecting £1-2 million bids. Then that would have beeen used as evidence in a tribunal as to the valuation of the player. If it ever had got to a British / FL tribunal. 

Edited by CF83OWL

Just now, cowl said:

If it's a simple matter of calling such a practice 'not official', then why don't all owners do this in order to get around FFP?

It would be an extremely risky thing for an owner to do, and I can't see why George Hirst would be considered worth the risk if all he's trying to do is get out of paying compensation for him - compensation which would be 2 million absolute tops, and much more likely to be less than a million.

I'm gonna have to correct you on this again mate, I think you may have missed it initially:

The problem is you're making the assumption that the Belgian Second Division has any rules similar to FFP. Whether a league system does or not is dependent on that country's FA. If their country has decided not to enforce any FFP rules, then the only clubs that need to adhere to anything like that style of financial practice and sustainability are clubs interested in qualifying for UEFA tournaments- which are subject to UEFA FFP rules. If the chairman of OH Leuven wants to pay George Hirst's wages in Belgium, then neither our FA nor UEFA have any right to stop him. There's nothing in the Belgian Second Division rules to prevent that, and neither UEFA nor our FA hold any jurisdiction to prevent that. Equally, if in 12 months, Leicester City's chairman wants to pay the chairman of OH Leuven a fair market value for George Hirst (say £5m), then that is entirely permitted. A completely fair £5m bank transfer from one business (Leicester City) to another (OH Leuven). That they both happen to be owned by the same person and thus not count as a transfer of funds for the individual is immaterial... it would be a transfer of finances between two completely separate businesses. That seems to me all above board.

Yes, this situation is unprecedented... yes it seems morally dubious as hell and may well break some obscure rule and require investigation (I hope it is looked into), but one rule it definitely doesn't break in any way shape or form is FFP or anything like it 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm gonna have to correct you on this again mate, I think you may have missed it initially:

The problem is you're making the assumption that the Belgian Second Division has any rules similar to FFP. Whether a league system does or not is dependent on that country's FA. If their country has decided not to enforce any FFP rules, then the only clubs that need to adhere to anything like that style of financial practice and sustainability are clubs interested in qualifying for UEFA tournaments- which are subject to UEFA FFP rules. If the chairman of OH Leuven wants to pay George Hirst's wages in Belgium, then neither our FA nor UEFA have any right to stop him. There's nothing in the Belgian Second Division rules to prevent that, and neither UEFA nor our FA hold any jurisdiction to prevent that. Equally, if in 12 months, Leicester City's chairman wants to pay the chairman of OH Leuven a fair market value for George Hirst (say £5m), then that is entirely permitted. A completely fair £5m bank transfer from one business (Leicester City) to another (OH Leuven). That they both happen to be owned by the same person and thus not count as a transfer of funds for the individual is immaterial... it would be a transfer of finances between two completely separate businesses. That seems to me all above board.

Yes, this situation is unprecedented... yes it seems morally dubious as hell and may well break some obscure rule and require investigation (I hope it is looked into), but one rule it definitely doesn't break in any way shape or form is FFP or anything like it 

Stop bringing facts and reasoning to the thread, we prefer rumours and making stuff up.

4 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Probably in the figure of 500k plus for sure....but then again, if reports were true of us rejecting £1-2 million bids. Then that would have beeen used as evidence in a tribunal as to the valuation of the player. If it ever had got to a British / FL tribunal. 

3 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

As we turned down a £1m bid from Leicester for him, I’d say we’ve lost out on an amount that would’ve been enough to sign Venancio.

Cheers chaps

26 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Not sure why Pearson is getting grief for this.

As for the Hirsts though, it stinks.   To have nurtured his development for 10 years and offered him a more lucrative contract than we ever have to any other player of his age and experience, and then not get a penny in compensation is scandalous and Quite frankly I’d be delighted to see George’s career ended by some Belgian second division clogger before his inevitable move to Leicester materialises. 

And what’s just as sad is that his dad’s legend will now be tarnished forever. Can’t see him ever being welcome inside Hillsborough again which is a sorry state of affairs it really is. 

Yes, it's his father who's played a big part in this.

Hamshanker.

6 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

How much have we potentially lost in compensation? 

It's not the compensation that bothers me. That is relative peanuts and probably only within a million. The thing that irks is the loss of possible sell on money. If he does turn out to be the real deal and goes all the way, I dread to think what we might have lost in terms of sell on clauses.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

It's the decision to refuse him any football that I object to. And clearly they also objected to it. 

It is a decision based on bad faith and it has been reciprocated. 

Things could have turned out very differently if the club hadnt done that. 

Its not a way to treat people. 

mate, theyve screwed us over. Why look for excuses

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Who was it who stopped GH training with his peers?

My displeasure is not in young George leaving (though I wanted him to stay tbh), I understand a player wanting to get a better pay cheque for himself. I also think Mr C could’ve done more to keep him here, had he valued George high enough, and not had his back up with Hirst Senior

But, had it been done professionally, George would’ve moved on, and we’d have got compo. Seems former club legends plus an agent, plus a Belgian club, likely to be rewarded for their part to play, plus Leicester, all come out smiling after a deliberate attempt to screw Wednesday over and that my friend is at the root of my displeasure.

So, knickers to all of the above. I guess we wait for what goes around to come back around. As it always does if you’re patient enough.

Whatever happens now, none of the above come out of this in a good light. It is the nearest you get to a situation being utterly screwed up, with money at the root of all troubles.

Edited by theowlsman

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Personally I'm just looking forward with optimism to the new season. To me now he's merely an ex- academy player and son of an ex player; no more, no less. 

Fair to say though that Dad's standing in the eyes of many, many Wednesdayites will have nose dived massively; rightly or wrongly. 

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc