BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

13 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I've given you one. I only go on what I read and they are still producing young kids representing their countries at their age level.

Tonight's Star mentions 3 of their young 'uns. If you want anymore I suggest you try a blunts forum.

You conveniently forgetting the several academy products who Jos played since coming in?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

You are going on about how bad modern football is.

I can't remember many complaints about our foreign chairman splashing the cash or our Scooby Doobius sponsors,

Yep. Nothing to do with the topic in hand. 

6 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Bleeding hell the anguish caused by player who played, what twice was it or only once i forget, being a snidey get is astonishing 

Put the footy on the telly, chill, have a beer and look forward to supporting the players that want to be at Hillsborough next season

No different to you frothing at the mouth the moment somebody has the gall to criticise your precious football heaven and it’s presenters. Maybe chill and have a beer next time someone calls Jonathan Buchan a Leeds tw*t?

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Surely there's a major element of this being a disagreement between the Hirst's and Mr Chansiri and not between The Hirst's and SWFC

Nah mate, if he upsets Mr C he upsets all of us. We are the Wednesday family and we look after our own. Some obviously didn’t get the memo when they professed of their love for the Owls. 

He’ll get the reception he deserves should he ever set foot on our hallowed turf again in opposition colours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

You are going on about how bad modern football is.

I can't remember many complaints about our foreign chairman splashing the cash or our Scooby Doobius sponsors,

Nice tangent.

To play along for 30 seconds, I’d rather we didn’t. But if I moaned on here about every problem I had with modern Football I’d be typing til my dying day and it would probably be fairly tedious. Maybe I’m a hypocrite, but supporting a football team in 2018 is essentially an exercise in ignoring increasing amounts of infuriating crap, this being a prime example.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Agree that he’s been terribly advised. From touting himself round prem clubs last summer whilst under contract to ending up in the Belgian second division just to make a point. It’s not a good look for someone with zero experience and everything to prove.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out on loan to a League 1 club without ever kicking a ball for whatever his new club is called. 

I think its pretty obvious this move is simply a way of Leicester getting Hirst without having to pay us compo. 

We’ve got some proper talent coming through, lads that would run through brick walls to play at Hillsborough in front of you lot. Some people have sealed their own fate as villains of the club but very soon we are going to be overflowijg with new heroes to take their place. It might not seem like it right now but the future is looking good for our youth. This city is ours lads.

Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Baker, Clare, Frederiksen...

All players from our youth set up who have featured for us at some point in the last seven months. 

But yes United, to whom only Brooks was given any opportunity are still light years ahead, because Chrissy Wilder has called three up to go on a pre season break in Portugal. 

Pretty sure we've also been beating them on a fairly regular basis at youth team level too. 

Edited by SiJ

25 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Surely the goal of the owners it to get that club into the top Belgian division though. Pearson hasnt had a full season with them yet and they finished 6th. 

Then he’s an even bigger mug.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Baker, Clare, Frederiksen...

All players from our youth set up who have featured for us at some point in the last seven months. 

But yes United, to whom only Brooks was given any opportunity are still light years ahead, because Chrissy Wilder has called three up to go on a pre season break in Portugal. 

Pretty sure we've also been beating them on a fairly regular basis at youth team level too. 

I’ve lost sight of the amount of times I’ve gone on to the official website site to see our youth teams with the words ‘victory’ and ‘win’ in the headline of the article, by all accounts we’ve got some proper talent coming through.

17 minutes ago, erowl said:

I'd be interested to know the wage structure of a certain 2nd tier Belgian club.

If we did offer £4k per week to GH how are they able to offer more? Or are they being subsidised by someone...

You might as well ask how Pearson ended up there. He was a Premier League manager not too long ago and I am sure he's not short of a bob or two. He won't be working there for a KitKat and Bovril.

11 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I've given you one. I only go on what I read and they are still producing young kids representing their countries at their age level.

Tonight's Star mentions 3 of their young 'uns. If you want anymore I suggest you try a blunts forum.

Not for me ta. I can’t remember any others last season. It does seem to be drying up 

1 hour ago, DEH9 said:

One of the most protracted transfer sagas in recent Sheffield Wednesday history seemed to be over yesterday as George Hirst looks close to leaving the club.

But the team Hirst is close to signing for was a surprise to many. Instead of the likes of Everton and Manchester United who had been linked with him, it was Belgian second tier side OH Leuven. Many were perplexed until they did some digging. Their manager is former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson and they are actually the sister club of the Foxes. Leicester of course were also linked with Hirst during the season.

It doesn’t take long to come up with a conspiracy theory. If Leicester were to sign Hirst, they would have to pay a compensation fee would could end up being fairly hefty. However because OH Leuven are a foreign team, they only have to pay a tiny fee which is barely worth bothering with. And with the links the two clubs have, it would be no shock to see Hirst head to Leicester in a year or two.

This has caused plenty of anger because it does feel like Sheffield Wednesday have been scammed. But if this move happens as expected, it could lead to a frightening precedent which could be abused By big clubs for years to come.

Pretty much every big team in the country has some links with a foreign side, some even owning them. Chelsea are very friendly with Vitesse Arnhem and Manchester United are the same with Royal Antwerp. If they sense they can get away with this sort of move, they will start doing it as well. And that leaves small clubs in such a big problem. Even teams with small budgets invest in their academies because one starlet can end up funding the team for years to come. And compensation fees for those aged under 24 are a huge protection. This stops players having all the power and forcing moves for minimal fees to big clubs when they come calling.

But if there is a loophole like this, it will be abused. Expect Grimsby Town’s new star youngster not to head to the Manchester City academy but to Girona in Spain for a while. And then the move to the big side will happen later. It’s a rule already abused by these sides to bring in top youngsters from other countries but now that’s obvious they can use it to bring in English youngsters it’s going to be a field day for them.

Whether the FA step in for this transfer now remains to be seen as some firm action here could make other teams wary of trying the same move. If it doesn’t, the name George Hirst could become as ubiquitous as the name Jean-Marc Bosman in the world of transfers.

So basically he's signed for Leicester lite who play to a standard similar to youth team football. He has to make his mark and start scoring there in which case he'll be moved to Leicester as soon as or he doesn't and gets shipped around various clubs to give him a game or two. Big money maybe but also maybe a big career gamble time will tell.