Rhodes to Norwich

20 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Pardon my ignorance but what use at all is a loan to us if we have no money available to spend already?

Surely we should be looking to sell?

My thoughts exactly.

Plus, if Rhodes really is 'done' then he'll be our problem again when his loan spell finishes. If he rediscovers his touch, then we lose a lethal goalscorer. A loan (aside from wages saved) is a lose lose for us IMO.

If we can get £6m and clear off what we owe Boro, then great!  Also release £35k in wages which will allow us to bring in a couple of premier loanees.

Good luck to Jordan Rhodes - throughly nice guy but he’s definitely not a fit for us.

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

My thoughts exactly.

Plus, if Rhodes really is 'done' then he'll be our problem again when his loan spell finishes. If he rediscovers his touch, then we lose a lethal goalscorer. A loan (aside from wages saved) is a lose lose for us IMO.

I could be wrong, but it may have something to do with selling a player. You have to pay up the full money owed that you bought him for.

So when we agreed to pay 8m over 3 seasons. Norwich would want to do the same / similar. If we sold him now it would leave us with a bigger bill to pay. 

Rhodes is in the 2nd season of the contact.

But i could be wrong. 

Edited by CF83OWL

Norwich are rolling in dosh after getting £25m for Maddison so I'm sure they can afford £5 which still leaves us £5.4m out of pocket. Bigger problem is how much signing in fee he's going to want and whether he still thinks he's worth £50k per month. Think it'll end up being a loan. If it's 60% of wages for a loan then we're still paying £20k per month. Bring back Eric Taylor, he definitely wouldn't f**k round like this.

8 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

I could be wrong, but it may have something to do with selling a player. You have to pay up the full money owed that you bought him for.

So when we agreed to pay 8m over 3 seasons. Norwich would want to do the same / similar. If we sold him now it would leave us with a bigger bill to pay. 

Rhodes is in the 2nd season of the contact.

But i could be wrong. 

Not sure to be honest mate, bit if you are, I'd rather, say £5m guaranteed from Norwich to pay to Boro than nothing at all - which could be the case if they decide not to buy at the end of a loan deal.

39 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Pardon my ignorance but what use at all is a loan to us if we have no money available to spend already?

Surely we should be looking to sell?

I think selling will be what the club want. But may have to settle for a loan with a loan fee. The reduction in wage bill be key in terms of managing our FFP situation.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Not sure to be honest mate, bit if you are, I'd rather, say £5m guaranteed from Norwich to pay to Boro than nothing at all - which could be the case if they decide not to buy at the end of a loan deal.

Yes, but Norwich have to follow FFP too. They cant afford to cough up 5m. 

We are taking a loss with Rhodes no matter what. Best to cut our losses asap before we spend anymore on him. 

15 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Whats with this "they pay a % of his wages " all about ?

exactly - the idea that we continue to pay say 40% of his wages for a whole season is bizarre, particularly to a rival.

What if they pipped us to sixth with 20 goals from JR and we'd funded that to the tune of £1m - ridiculous.