#SWFC to lose a top coach

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Under-18s boss Ben Wilkinson is leaving the Owls after landing a top youth role at Premier League champions Manchester City.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-academy-coach-poised-to-join-premier-league-giants-1-9217254

Another reason to dump the academy and heavily invest in scouting, just like Brentford/Huddersfield.

Not only are PL clubs plundering all the playing talent from other academies they’re now pinching the best coaches too.

The academy system is deeply flawed and outdated and only benefits the top 10 richest clubs.

More and more clubs will opt out until the Football League change the rules on what is rapidly becoming a monopoly!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Another reason to dump the academy and heavily invest in scouting, just like Brentford/Huddersfield.

Not only are PL clubs plundering all the playing talent from other academies they’re now pinching the best coaches too.

The academy system is deeply flawed and outdated and only benefits the top 10 richest clubs.

More and more clubs will opt out until the Football League change the rules on what is rapidly becoming a monopoly!

Bang on the money mate. 

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Whilst I agree with you I don’t think dumping it is the right decision. Yes it’s frustrating and biased towards the top clubs but we’re starting to see some fruits of it and although we’re taking some losses too coaches and players I still think it can be beneficial to us. We seem to be tying the players down now and giving them chances and hopefully they succeed 

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Didn't they take another of our youth coaches a year or two ago?

Annoying to say the least. Any sniff of talent and they get poached by the PL fat cats.

This is becoming a trend with us.

However, If everyone outside of the top 10 in the Prem started to get rid of their academies there would be no talent to scout.

49 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Whilst I agree with you I don’t think dumping it is the right decision. Yes it’s frustrating and biased towards the top clubs but we’re starting to see some fruits of it and although we’re taking some losses too coaches and players I still think it can be beneficial to us. We seem to be tying the players down now and giving them chances and hopefully they succeed 

I can agree with the sentiment pal but I think the writing may be on the wall when a premiership club (Huddersfield) with all their associated riches have taken a business decision that they can’t compete in the academy stakes and they would get a much better bang for their buck by investing their cash in taking their scouting networks both in this country and especially abroad to another level !

8 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

This is becoming a trend with us.

However, If everyone outside of the top 10 in the Prem started to get rid of their academies there would be no talent to scout.

Its nothing new england poached our best physio in Alan  Smith and wasn't Dave Barber our groundsman in the 90,s taken by Arsenal after he was getting awards for Hillsborough being one of the best pitched in the premiership at the time .It seems the old WAWAW doesn't,t apply to everybody

Yes we've lost a big cog in the works.    

What I really like is that the whole setup do work as a team now, where as before you got the impression certain people were the driving force.

I'm confident someone will come in and fill the void, and not just to make up the numbers.

Why?   Well, because things seem to be being run more professionally, full stop.

2 hours ago, HubristicClapper said:

What I really like is that the whole setup do work as a team now, where as before you got the impression certain people were the driving force.

Except for the fact people are leaving because there’s no ambition. That’s from the people who have worked there. The academy is just s token gesture with no real conviction. It’s always been the Wednesday way - copy things without effort

Edited by pgmetcalf

On 22/06/2018 at 07:56, casbahowl said:

Sadly this makes sense.  Poor state of affairs.