Terry Curran questions Jos pulling power

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Do you not think Leeds will attract a better standard of player with Bielsa than with Heckingbottom - I do

Better manager or more experienced managers normally have better links to players. Its like saying Big Ron would not attract better players than Danny Wilson - clearly he would.

Money attracts ALL players first , if a few clubs offer the same then other circumstances are considered 

I’m happy for the club to just sign obscure players under 24 this summer if they have potential to improve. 

Providing we also keep our best players to justify the high ticket prices. 

And if we are going to sell our best players make sure it’s for ridiculous fees which we can use for FFP and reinvesting into younger players 

So I think Jos will be alright this summer as he and Rene can use their contacts in Germany/Holland and youth football to sign players who want first team football 

10 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Money attracts ALL players first , if a few clubs offer the same then other circumstances are considered 

Players are money motivated but, the club and the manager have a big factor too.

17 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

But he didn't say good players, he said "big name transfer targets" which is something we more than likely won't be looking at.

You are twisting the words Curran is saying Jos has no pulling power for players - you assume better player costs more or come from more established leagues, so we will see if we are signing players from the Premier league and Championship or player from the Dutch 2 division.

The pull of a manager if two similar clubs go for him is a big factor - money plays a big part but if us and Boro go for the same player the pull of more likely promotion and playing for Pulis will win over us.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You are twisting the words Curran is saying Jos has no pulling power for players - you assume better player costs more or come from more established leagues, so we will see if we are signing players from the Premier league and Championship or player from the Dutch 2 division.

The pull of a manager if two similar clubs go for him is a big factor - money plays a big part but if us and Boro go for the same player the pull of more likely promotion and playing for Pulis will win over us.

How the hell do you know that the pulling power of the manager is a big factor?  Where is the data to back this up?  You just make stuff up as you go along.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I wasn't twisting words at all, I was quoting what was printed.

With regard to signing players from the premiership or big names from the championship money plays the biggest part in this. Something we do not have much available whoever the manager.

So I can't see how Curran can be proved right or wrong.

57 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Sheffield Wednesday could miss out on big-name transfer targets because rival clubs have managers with more pulling power, fears old boy Terry Curran.

Jos Luhukay stabilised the Owls in the Championship after replacing Carlos Carvalhal in January, but the Dutchman, who arrived in England as a virtual unknown, has a much lower profile than many other bosses in the second tier.

That could see Wednesday paying the price when it comes to recruitment, claims Curran, a winger at Hillsborough between 1979 and 1982.

“Look at someone like Steven Gerrard going to Rangers,” Curran said. “Him alone will get players in there because he’s a big name.

“Going back a few years, there was Kenny Dalglish going to Blackburn Rovers. He was a big name. Alan Shearer wouldn’t have gone there without Dalglish, who was a big pull.”

Wednesday were sliding towards relegation trouble last term before a late-season surge as key players returned from injury saw them finish in 15th spot.

The only player signed during the January window by Luhukay, who had a history of promotions in German football before being appointed by Wednesday, was £500,000 defensive midfielder Joey Pelupessy from Dutch club Heracles Almelo.

“It needs somebody who is going to fetch in top, top players,” Curran added. “I look at it and I’m thinking: ‘They should be buying slightly better players.’

“In terms of Jos, I’ve not heard much of him. I’d sooner have a bigger name who will attract slightly better quality names to the club.”

Good, we don’t want any big time Charlies cosying up to famous ex players who are untried as managers.

Think we’re better off using Jos’s knowledge of the German and Dutch leagues.

Worked for Huddersfield with David Wagner.

46 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If it’s not negativity from sterland they want to publish it’s now Curran.

We are in a position where we cannot buy big name players and need someone who can put a side together that is greater than the sum of its parts. Jos has a history of this in Germany but whether he can do it here remains to be seen.

Agree pal 

Although to be fair Sterland and Curran are usually spot on with views on the modern game - just like the Star 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Does anybody really expect us to sign any big name players I certainly don't 

Lets say we dont sign any big name players it will be down to finances rather than Jos's ability to attract them.