Terry Curran questions Jos pulling power

Sheffield Wednesday could miss out on big-name transfer targets because rival clubs have managers with more pulling power, fears old boy Terry Curran.

Jos Luhukay stabilised the Owls in the Championship after replacing Carlos Carvalhal in January, but the Dutchman, who arrived in England as a virtual unknown, has a much lower profile than many other bosses in the second tier.

That could see Wednesday paying the price when it comes to recruitment, claims Curran, a winger at Hillsborough between 1979 and 1982.

“Look at someone like Steven Gerrard going to Rangers,” Curran said. “Him alone will get players in there because he’s a big name.

“Going back a few years, there was Kenny Dalglish going to Blackburn Rovers. He was a big name. Alan Shearer wouldn’t have gone there without Dalglish, who was a big pull.”

Wednesday were sliding towards relegation trouble last term before a late-season surge as key players returned from injury saw them finish in 15th spot.

The only player signed during the January window by Luhukay, who had a history of promotions in German football before being appointed by Wednesday, was £500,000 defensive midfielder Joey Pelupessy from Dutch club Heracles Almelo.

“It needs somebody who is going to fetch in top, top players,” Curran added. “I look at it and I’m thinking: ‘They should be buying slightly better players.’

“In terms of Jos, I’ve not heard much of him. I’d sooner have a bigger name who will attract slightly better quality names to the club.”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

No body had heard of Carlos ,The owner attracted players with ,The wages he was prepared to pay .What attracted Curran to the Lane £100 extra.

I agree and I think it's slightly unfair of him to say that at this stage when we don't know who Jos may sign this summer or in future windows. 

It seems like not much is expected of Jos, so maybe that could work in our favour going slightly under the radar next season. 

8 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Sheffield Wednesday could miss out on big-name transfer targets because rival clubs have managers with more pulling power, fears old boy Terry Curran.

I don't think for a minute that we'll miss out on big name transfer targets.

With our current expenditure and all the alleged big names on massive wages we should be looking to offload some of them not look for more.

• Like 1

If it’s not negativity from sterland they want to publish it’s now Curran.

We are in a position where we cannot buy big name players and need someone who can put a side together that is greater than the sum of its parts. Jos has a history of this in Germany but whether he can do it here remains to be seen.

I doubt we'll be doing any major signings anyway. 

Our present squad is good enough to be a force in this league with everyone fit.

Maybe a player out and a player in to strengthen a different position, IE: a forward departs to bring in a midfielder or a defender.

11 minutes ago, striker said:

The only currency that talks in modern football is £££££

Managers, however good a player they have been can be sacked very quickly these days

Do you not think Leeds will attract a better standard of player with Bielsa than with Heckingbottom - I do

Better manager or more experienced managers normally have better links to players. Its like saying Big Ron would not attract better players than Danny Wilson - clearly he would.

5 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I doubt we'll be doing any major signings anyway. 

Our present squad is good enough to be a force in this league with everyone fit.

Maybe a player out and a player in to strengthen a different position, IE: a forward departs to bring in a midfielder or a defender.

I disagree we have weakness in the squad even with everyone fit we don't have a decent left back or right wing both need strengthening or these areas will continue to cost us points.

We do need to thin the squad and try and offload one way or another the resource drainer (those players on good contracts that never play any games)

25 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Jos Luhukay stabilised the Owls in the Championship after replacing Carlos Carvalhal in January, but the Dutchman, who arrived in England as a virtual unknown, has a much lower profile than many other bosses in the second tier.

That could see Wednesday paying the price when it comes to recruitment, claims Curran, a winger at Hillsborough between 1979 and 1982.

“Look at someone like Steven Gerrard going to Rangers,” Curran said. “Him alone will get players in there because he’s a big name.

“Going back a few years, there was Kenny Dalglish going to Blackburn Rovers. He was a big name. Alan Shearer wouldn’t have gone there without Dalglish, who was a big pull.”

Wednesday were sliding towards relegation trouble last term before a late-season surge as key players returned from injury saw them finish in 15th spot.

The only player signed during the January window by Luhukay, who had a history of promotions in German football before being appointed by Wednesday, was £500,000 defensive midfielder Joey Pelupessy from Dutch club Heracles Almelo.

“It needs somebody who is going to fetch in top, top players,” Curran added. “I look at it and I’m thinking: ‘They should be buying slightly better players.’

In terms of Jos, I’ve not heard much of him. I’d sooner have a bigger name who will attract slightly better quality names to the club.”

Bit of a contradiction there :ph34r:

Just now, room0035 said:

we will find out if we attract any good players or not?

But he didn't say good players, he said "big name transfer targets" which is something we more than likely won't be looking at.