Andy Rhodes moves from #SWFC to Oldham Athletic

Andy Rhodes.jpeg

Sheffield Wednesday’s goalkeeper coach Andy Rhodes has departed Hillsborough to take up the assistant manager role at League Two side Oldham Athletic.

Rhodes will be number two to the newly-appointed Frankie Bunn – the duo played together in the Latics’ halcyon days of the early 1990s.

Rhodes joined the Owls as goalkeeper coach in January 2010 and went on to develop a raft of custodians through the years, including the impressive current crop of Keiren Westwood, Joe Wildsmith and Cameron Dawson.

The Doncaster product now returns to Boundary Park, where he represented Oldham for two years between the sticks, with the pinnacle a League Cup final Wembley appearance against Nottingham Forest in 1990.

He later returned to the Latics as goalkeeper coach before eventually switching to Hillsborough under the management of Alan Irvine.

Rhodes told swfc.co.uk: “I leave Hillsborough with a heavy heart but this is a great career move and a completely different challenge.

“I have enjoyed some memorable times with Wednesday and worked with some fantastic people, each of whom I would like to offer my sincere thanks, on and off the pitch.

“I wish Wednesday all the very best in the future and hope they achieve the promotion back to the Premier League that they deserve.”

Owlstalk Shop

This is great for Andy Rhodes (Good luck at Oldham in your new role Andy) but terrible news for SWFC

If you think about the personalities and motivators around the club that we have, Andy was definitely one of the biggest.

Not only did he do an incredible job bringing on our keepers as he did, but he's also one of the fellas always smiling, laughing, motivating.

The thought of replacing him makes me worried for our squad's motivations

Owlstalk Shop

He's clearly been an excellent goalkeeping coach over these past few years, so it's a blow to see him go, but it's easy enough to understand the attraction of being appointed as an assistant manager.

I really hope it works out well for him.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is great for Andy Rhodes (Good luck at Oldham in your new role Andy) but terrible news for SWFC

If you think about the personalities and motivators around the club that we have, Andy was definitely one of the biggest.

Not only did he do an incredible job bringing on our keepers as he did, but he's also one of the fellas always smiling, laughing, motivating.

The thought of replacing him makes me worried for our squad's motivations

Any chance we might still stay up though?

• Haha 1