Álex López has been released by Real Sporting

56 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It’s about the long term sustainability of the club.

Sign younger, hungrier players that can be sold on for a profit is basic common sense if we want a sustainable financial position.

in past times then yes your right but for a club like ours and quite a few others  who have a owner hell bent on reaching the prem asap then building for the future isn't really an option …….a manager in the championship as a shelf life of about 12 -18 months and building summat that may bring success 3 years  down the line for his successor isn't probably high on his  list of priorities 

15 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

What is this obsession with age. Joey Barton at Burnley was early 30's and was instrumental in getting them up. If you are fit enough you are good enough regardless of age. 

Yes, Barton was 33 when he joined Burnley and won "Player of the Season".

9 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It’s about the long term sustainability of the club.

Sign younger, hungrier players that can be sold on for a profit is basic common sense if we want a sustainable financial position.

By absolutely no means am I saying our policy should be only signing players over 30.

Obviously the above is the common sense approach and if it was that easy every club in the land would be doing it.

I am simply saying if the right 30+ year old comes along, age alone should not be a barrier.

20 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

By absolutely no means am I saying our policy should be only signing players over 30.

Obviously the above is the common sense approach and if it was that easy every club in the land would be doing it.

I am simply saying if the right 30+ year old comes along, age alone should not be a barrier.

Of course it shouldn’t be but we are saddled with them , Boyd , abdi , Jones , fletcher , all 4 on big wages and contributing nothing. We have just offloaded two in loovens and Wallace, we certainly don’t need to be replacing them  with another one with sciatica ! 

Edited by james o connor

11 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

Our average age last season 

28.3 years 

Burnley season they had Barton 27 years they had 3 less in squad than us 

But our squad is very much all close to the 28 years except the 2 goalies n Joào

And we also have Jones n Boyd with us who were 30s in the Burnley squad !!

Our squad is close to top heavy on age and definitely wages ..

And "Passengers" too.... 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

in past times then yes your right but for a club like ours and quite a few others  who have a owner hell bent on reaching the prem asap then building for the future isn't really an option …….a manager in the championship as a shelf life of about 12 -18 months and building summat that may bring success 3 years  down the line for his successor isn't probably high on his  list of priorities 

Spurs seem to do a very good job of signing younger players and they have much loftier ambitions than us.

If Chansiri is smart he would run the club this way. 

He cant keep throwing money at the project with FFP in the picture.

His other problem is other ambitious clubs and parachute payments.

As fans we need a sound position that can sustain us and that should sometimes mean selling players on. 

12 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Spurs seem to do a very good job of signing younger players and they have much loftier ambitions than us.

If Chansiri is smart he would run the club this way. 

He cant keep throwing money at the project with FFP in the picture.

His other problem is other ambitious clubs and parachute payments.

As fans we need a sound position that can sustain us and that should sometimes mean selling players on. 

true but then spurs know they are going  to generate 200 million every year so can afford to play the market and be patient with the youngsters they sign ….clubs in the championship don't have that luxury .i'm not saying your wrong but if jos was to slowly build a team of young players and we sat around in mid table for 2 years while they all came together as a unit that can challenge for promotion then I doubt jos would be here to see it thru ……..chansiri and all the other foreign investers of other clubs want it now not in 3 years time which is probably the reason that managers keep getting sacked ….. 

I don’t buy this “in danger of breaching FFP regulations “ The club will know exactly where they’re at, at any one time 

Would MrC have made that statement regarding investment, if two months later we were at risk? 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

No. The last three months of the Wembley season he was very good no doubt but lets not forget the previous six months where he was average and whenever he played he didn't look as good a team as when he didn't. Also like people have said it's time to look forward not backward.

I would have him back in a heart beat when he was played in that holding midfield role his preferred position he was quality and his quality shined through. You don't play in la liga for all the games he did without being a quality player I don't think we will but would definately have him back 

I think he didn't sign last time because he wanted to return to Spain only played a handful of games last season for Sporting so either injured or face didn't fit and to release him a year early seems strange unless he has lined up a new club. 

I personally think unless we can offload a few in Central midfield first we should not be looking for more with 6 or 7 already on our books who can play their and the likes of Fessi and Reach also being tried in a central 3 we have enough cover. Lets use what cash we have to sort the issue with left back, right back and right wing.

No from me.

He was good in parts in the play off final season, and SHOULD have started the final. But 2 years on, aging legs and failed to make an impact in Spain.

We need to move on and find a player of similar ability but 5 years younger. Lets not get caught in the past. Lets move forward.