Álex López has been released by Real Sporting

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Wow .... okay 

correct 30 is no age but after injuries he apparently suffered this season we could probably end up with another abdi or jones or fletcher who are draining resources without giving anything back . we have plenty in that age bracket and desperately need some younger more mobile players. Lopez was decent but again I don’t think we need to look at past players who have had injury problems. 

Are there any players who don’t get injured throughout a season? If you work on this theory, we wouldn’t make any signings!! 

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

Agree with this point .........................although I think you meant it in a different context.

I generally mean that signing a player who we had on loan 2 seasons ago isn’t a bad thing if he improves us.

Marshall for instance...I would take him in an heartbeat. His performances and stats for millwall last season were superb, he was arguably up there with the best midfielders in the league. If you listen to some folk on here it’s a bad idea to even contemplate signing him, despite the fact that in 16 games he contributed more than what most of our entire midfield did in a full season. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

100 times better then Pessy.

Disagree, Pelupessy started slowly but seems to be adapting well and got better with every game.  He's also at a much better age and his attitude is first class. 

Need to bring in more young, inexpensive players like him imo.  

17 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I generally mean that signing a player who we had on loan 2 seasons ago isn’t a bad thing if he improves us.

Marshall for instance...I would take him in an heartbeat. His performances and stats for millwall last season were superb, he was arguably up there with the best midfielders in the league. If you listen to some folk on here it’s a bad idea to even contemplate signing him, despite the fact that in 16 games he contributed more than what most of our entire midfield did in a full season. 

I thought that was what you meant.

My reply was a lighthearted dig at some people remembering past players with rose blue tinted glasses.

Not dissing Lopez at all by the way, just think we need to move forwards not keep in the past.

Guest Arcadianrocket
20 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Disagree, Pelupessy started slowly but seems to be adapting well and got better with every game.  He's also at a much better age and his attitude is first class. 

Need to bring in more young, inexpensive players like him imo.  

Can see like with Rhodes, he is no good enough either

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

The obsession with bashing fans who obviously appreciate talent is bizarre!! 30 is an age where he’s in his prime, he’s better than jones, abdi and Boyd. He would also cost a fraction of their wages...yeah very bizzare tho!! 

Does it it matter if he played for us before...no!! People who think this are complete fools.

thank you and good day 

Might just about at the back end of his prime years at 30, but would want at least a 2 year contract. He certainly won’t be by then and will have no onward value.

The club has to be far smarter in the transfer market with an eye to signing young players that add some value in years to come.

No more Fletcher/Jones/Abdi or Boyd’s looking for a last big wage for heaven’s sake. It’s the road to ruin. That policy just has to change.

2 hours ago, Hookowl said:

I thought that was what you meant.

My reply was a lighthearted dig at some people remembering past players with rose blue tinted glasses.

Not dissing Lopez at all by the way, just think we need to move forwards not keep in the past.

I got that mate...some are deluded tho. 

21 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

What is this obsession with age. Joey Barton at Burnley was early 30's and was instrumental in getting them up. If you are fit enough you are good enough regardless of age. 

So was Jones in the same midfield wasn't he?

Yet he's hardly looked like a centre midfielder than was a near mainstay in a promotion team. Their age doesn't matter, only that we get them before the age catches up with them and leaves them ineffective. That's the trick.

As for asking what the obsession with age is... if you haven't noticed we have a squad full of older players who are past their prime that's restricting our finances and ability to make transfers as freely as we'd like and contributed to our £20m losses last financial year. So that probably has something to do with it. 

26 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So was Jones in the same midfield wasn't he?

Yet he's hardly looked like a centre midfielder than was a near mainstay in a promotion team. Their age doesn't matter, only that we get them before the age catches up with them and leaves them ineffective. That's the trick.

As for asking what the obsession with age is... if you haven't noticed we have a squad full of older players who are past their prime that's restricting our finances and ability to make transfers as freely as we'd like and contributed to our £20m losses last financial year. So that probably has something to do with it. 

Cheers Sherlock. Bloody hope Ronaldo doesn't want to come here.... 

5 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

What is this obsession with age. Joey Barton at Burnley was early 30's and was instrumental in getting them up. If you are fit enough you are good enough regardless of age. 

It’s about the long term sustainability of the club.

Sign younger, hungrier players that can be sold on for a profit is basic common sense if we want a sustainable financial position.