Just a thought with FFP...

With FFP in mind and it being our 4th full season with DC, where FFP concerns are probably at their highest than ever before...

If you consider ditching the stripes divided many fans and the huge delay in the kit launch last season. Not to forget the issues with shirt sizes. I expect this would have caused the sales of the shirts to be less than they were expecting. This particularly hit us IMO as they would have been hoping for a bigger profit margin on the kit by using a smaller manufacturer. Not good for FFP of course. 

However, it obviously wasnt a marketing ploy....but if the new kit is stripes and it is a hit with the fans, then I expect it to be our biggest selling kit of all time.  This would in turn boost our finances for FFP. Our fans do miss the stripes and if you starve someone from something they enjoy for so long.....then offer it to them.  They come running! 

Also, I fully expect us to try and get a cup run going this season to bring extra finances in. So you may find our squad being very large this season with a few of the youth players being given a chance as we saw in last seasons injury crises. 

Edited by CF83OWL

Shift another 20,000 kits at £25 profit each and the grim reality is that you only bank another £500k. Put that into real terms, Jordan Rhodes wage for 10 weeks. It’s a drop in the ocean to our problems I’m afraid. 

22 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

With FFP in mind and it being our 4th full season with DC, where FFP concerns are probably at their highest than ever before...

If you consider ditching the stripes divided many fans and the huge delay in the kit launch last season. Not to forget the issues with shirt sizes. I expect this would have caused the sales of the shirts to be less than they were expecting. This particularly hit us IMO as they would have been hoping for a bigger profit margin on the kit by using a smaller manufacturer. Not good for FFP of course. 

However, it obviously wasnt a marketing ploy....but if the new kit is stripes and it is a hit with the fans, then I expect it to be our biggest selling kit of all time.  This would in turn boost our finances for FFP. Our fans do miss the stripes and if you starve someone from something they enjoy for so long.....then offer it to them.  They come running! 

Also, I fully expect us to try and get a cup run going this season to bring extra finances in. So you may find our squad being very large this season with a few of the youth players being given a chance as we saw in last seasons injury crises. 

Have to agree, the shirt fiasco last season cannot have helped the club coffers. Not the be all and end all like, but bad business. Good cup run and moving a few on will help massively.

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

15000 shirts x £65 which maybe the cost of an adult top only brings in £1m in revenue. This won’t be profit but merely turnover. This doesn’t cover Abdi’s annual salary.

Yes, we need a return to stripes and it needs to be released at OITP. I would suggest this will ensure that we get the fans back on side and also get some positivity around the place. I think we ne need to try and offload some players on big money who are surplus to requirements. Rhodes, Abdi, Fletcher, Boyd, Jones etc. This will ensure we can comply with FFP. It won’t be easy but this will help more with FFP rather than shirt sales.

3 minutes ago, Bukta said:

Shift another 20,000 kits at £25 profit each and the grim reality is that you only bank another £500k. Put that into real terms, Jordan Rhodes wage for 10 weeks. It’s a drop in the ocean to our problems I’m afraid. 

Agreed it isnt a lot compared to wages, but I am sure DC said for every pound the fans put into the club he can put more in.  I dont know how it all works, but I am sure someone on here will be able too. 

Whilst all revenue is valuable to the club we’ve moved well beyond the point at which our current shirt sale income could make a meaningful difference to our overall financial position.

The only way to seriously grow our shirt sales is overseas, the best way to achieve that is succcess although I believe a return to more traditional home kit also helps.

I don’t believe our current finiancial is at a point where transfer descision are essentially forced upon us but that’s not to say we won’t see big name departures. 

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Whilst all revenue is valuable to the club we’ve moved well beyond the point at which our current shirt sale income could make a meaningful difference to our overall financial position.

The only way to seriously grow our shirt sales is overseas, the best way to achieve that is succcess although I believe a return to more traditional home kit also helps.

I don’t believe our current finiancial is at a point where transfer descision are essentially forced upon us but that’s not to say we won’t see big name departures. 

Agree right now it's a drop in the ocean, but. To be a big club tho, this is a fundemantal you have to get right. The shirt sales are massive for the big clubs, fair enough not for us now. But if we hit the prem and the fan base grows this cannot happen. Fine margins and its cost us money. 

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

IF the situation is that bad then Chansiri may as well spend as much as he wants this season and hope we go up the it becomes irrelevant doesn't it? Personally I don't think it is as bad as many are making out, I don't know why but I just don't. We don't need to spend big to compete top 8 next season but if we want top 2 then either he's going to have to make some canny loan signings if finance is that bad, or just spunk a shitload of money at it. Bad management by all at the club has got us into this situation now it needs some clever management to get us out of it.

10 hours ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Agree right now it's a drop in the ocean, but. To be a big club tho, this is a fundemantal you have to get right. The shirt sales are massive for the big clubs, fair enough not for us now. But if we hit the prem and the fan base grows this cannot happen. Fine margins and its cost us money. 

But even then, if we became a reasonably secure mid table premier league club, overseas shirt sales won't be significant. Overseas support bases are absolutely dominated by the big clubs. The Southamptons etc cut into the media rights and sure, can create some touring income. But they don't get the sustained revenue building support of the super clubs.

13 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

However, it obviously wasnt a marketing ploy....but if the new kit is stripes and it is a hit with the fans, then I expect it to be our biggest selling kit of all time.  

You've not seen the design yet 

Could be a right mess

Could be brilliant

I'm hoping for the best design of all time personally, but will reserve judgement till we've seen it in the flesh

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

peoples obsession with stripes is unhealthy.shirt sales wouldn't cover abdi,Jones and boyd for a week.

more to life than a group of colours

What's up with Sheffield Wednesday fans in modern times?

Quite happy to just get told what colour shirt we play in?

I'm genuinely shocked there are fans out there happy to be dictated by the latest chairman whether we play in stripes or not, will play at Hillsborough anymore, or are called Sheffield Wednesday

It was only the other year some fans were calling for Neil Warnock to manage Wednesday 

Wednesday fans have changed

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

But even then, if we became a reasonably secure mid table premier league club, overseas shirt sales won't be significant. Overseas support bases are absolutely dominated by the big clubs. The Southamptons etc cut into the media rights and sure, can create some touring income. But they don't get the sustained revenue building support of the super clubs.

That's true, I'm looking way too far ahead, hopefully lol. Still nice to get the basics right, and would expect a good premiership Wednesday to at least double our current shirt sales just in Yorkshire.

TV money is a game changer tho, Amazon getting rights for me means that the large money won't last forever. They are giving the games as the current prime offering, they can offer something that the competition cannot. In terms of their ability to stream games, and have said they won't be raising prices for football. BT struggled to make money because they paid so much, Amazon, etc won't be doing that they are money machines. Think the prem bosses have been a bit too greedy, and will become reliant on the tech companies who will push the price down.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

You've not seen the design yet 

Could be a right mess

Could be brilliant

I'm hoping for the best design of all time personally, but will reserve judgement till we've seen it in the flesh

However, it obviously wasnt a marketing ploy....but if the new kit is stripes and it is a hit with the fans, then I expect it to be our biggest selling kit of all time.