Frank Lampard - Bannan, Lee and formations

Hate to say it, but I think the only one we can build a future side around is Bannan. 

Hopefully, Lee comes back...but I fear the worst. 

Hutchinson is far too injury prone to build a team around. 

12 hours ago, Owl At Risk said:

@cookeh you ask just one direct question in your rambling OP.

@CLswfc gives you a direct answer.

You castigate them for giving you a succinct answer, labeling your own question as a "largely irrelevant detail".

"Classic Owlstalk"!

Castigate... a very underrated word and infrequently used on owlstalk. I commend you good sir.

On 15/06/2018 at 11:49, cookeh said:

Just watched this:

Interesting interview, but from 9:50ish onwards he's talking about the Lampard/Gerrard partnership and why it didn't work particularly well. Particularly focussing on the fact that while they were both forward minded players, playing in a 2 they had no freedom to break forwards, because they were constantly worrying about where the other one was.

Got me thinking that the same was true when we were playing Bannan and Lee in a 2 together. They both want to be forward, supporting the attack, Bannan just behind the forwards, switching play and Lee running beyond them. Lampard solution was to play a midfield 3, so in our case, putting Pessy or Hutch behind Bannan and Lee, letting them go forwards freely. All seems very sensible.

The problem then becomes.. how that affects the formation.

If we're playing 3 in the middle of the park, we can't really play 3 forwards. There just aren't enough players to do it.

352 is a possibility.. Something like:

Rhodes - Nuhiu
Reach - Bannan - Pessy - Lee - Hunt

Pudil - Lees - Venancio

Westwood

But how to do you get Nando into that side? Nando - Nuhiu up top? Could be interesting.

Or do we end up having to go 433?

Nando - Nuhiu - Joao

Bannan - Pessy - Lee

[someone] - Pudil - Lees - Hunt

Westwood

Obvious problems.. no true left back..
Joao's not great at defending against an attacking left back/wing back..
No place for Reach..
Only 1 real striking spot.

To me it's a really interesting puzzle of how can we play an effective system, one that leverages the players we have in the best way, avoiding falling into the trap that Capello seems to have done with Lampard and Gerrard.

Obviously this is hoping that Lee returns to fitness and form, but we have a handful of players you could put in there in his place..

Reach, Clare, Abdi, Boyd, even Matias (played 1 game there iirc and look alright centrally)

What are you folks' thoughts?

To me this also kind of highlights the need to ship out an awful lot of players, as there's a lot of names i've not mentioned at all.

I hate it when people quote the original post in their replies 

On 15/06/2018 at 13:48, vulture_squadron said:

I like the look of the 352 lineup. Definitely worth considering how to get the best out of Rhodes if he doesn't move on for whatever reason. I've always thought Nuhiu would be his best partner.

If we can't shift Rhodes then we may have to lose Hooper or Forestieri to keep afloat. Then 3 in midfield and 2 up top would probably have to be the way forward.

I’ve said the same Nuhiu and Rhodes with FF behind. 

If FF goes then Reach fills that spot.

think we have to sell someone and I think if it’s Bannan, maybe Adbi can Actually be the player we thought and full that roll?

Hooper is another option for the link role if he can get fit.

id like 3 at the back and Reach and Lee as wing backs in a perfect world.