#SWFC FRIENDLY - Owls confirm VILLAREAL are coming to Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday will host La Liga side Villarreal CF in a pre-season friendly.

The Spanish outfit will visit Hillsborough on Saturday 28 July in a 3.00pm kick-off.

Villarreal, who play their home fixtures at the Estadio de la Ceramica, qualified for the group stages of the Europa League following their fifth-place finish in the Spanish top flight last season.

The El Submarino Amarillo won four of their final six games and came back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Real Madrid on the final day to ensure direct passage to the 2018/19 group stages.

A regular qualifier for European competition, Villarreal made it to the round of 32 in the Europa League last season after topping Group A, before losing out over two legs to Lyon in the knockout stage.

In terms of the Champions League, Villarreal’s most recent qualification came in the 2015/16 season when the club registered a fourth-place La Liga finish, but did not make it past the play-off round after defeat to Monaco.

The Villarreal clash is the Owls’ third confirmed pre-season friendly, with fixtures away at Lincoln (13 July) and Mansfield (24 July) previously announced as part of our 2018/19 summer preparations.

Wednesday’s clash with Villarreal will represent a solid challenge for Jos Luhukay’s side, who will begin their Championship campaign the following week.

Owlstalk Shop

I find it odd that we play these Spanish and Portuguese and other foreign teams in mid season friendlies. You would have thought teams nearer to home would benefit us more. Not as though we will be playing in Europe next season is it.

1 minute ago, CLswfc said:

I find it odd that we play these Spanish and Portuguese and other foreign teams in mid season friendlies. You would have thought teams nearer to home would benefit us more. Not as though we will be playing in Europe next season is it.

And this is why you can’t please all of the people no matter what you do. :carlosswfc:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

I swear that if in 20 years time we are the new "Real Madrid" there would be no shortage of Owls complaining about it! Suspect you might be one of them! lol 

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I swear that if in 20 years time we are the new "Real Madrid" there would be no shortage of Owls complaining about it! Suspect you might be one of them! lol 

Of course I would because we would playing the likes of Workington Town and Alfreton Town. Wouldn't you complain, I would. lol

6 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Will we have to give them the Cantilever?

Jesus just realised this is a training exercise for the new bar staff !!!

Armed with abacus calculator and Euro /Sterling Exchange book 

"San Miguel senior that will be errm mm 

50 Euros please"

(50 note handed over)

"thanks and there's your 70 pounds change"

WTF:

• Haha 3

Would be nice if we could get a couple of clubs around our size from around some of Europe’s nations for sort of like an Emirates Cup kind of competition once every couple of years. We could even rotate it for each clubs ground each time so one year it could be at our place, the next at another clubs home ground and so on.

4 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

What like as some form of payment ?

lol

Segregation young man.

They do like a flare, a big flag and a dangerously big hat, the Spanish...

35 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

lol

Segregation young man.

They do like a flare, a big flag and a dangerously big hat, the Spanish...

Sorry F/O 

I thought to "like take it away with them as a gift" ........

Bit over the top but I suppose them on Vere Road would be well chuffed ?

**Keep it up with the young man bit also .

I like that 

lol

• Haha 2