WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

1 minute ago, pgmetcalf said:

Canada, US and Mexico 2016 WTF?

Another World Cup tradition down the pan..having one host country.

To be honest it will need reiventing after Qatar as that will be a complete disaster if it goes ahead.

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I did one of those spreadsheets where you have to predict the scores of all the games yesterday - and it creates the 2nd round, quarters and semis etc.  This is what it gave me back...

World Cup Predictor.png

I've backed Argentina to win... so hope your spreadsheet is right lol.

Brazil will win it. They have an attacking line up the envy of the world and a more solid european mentality at the back now with the new coach. England will get out of the group stages and reach the 1/4's and then they will meet one of the big boys and then we will see how our young team can do. Offensively we are looking well but defensively we can easily be got at with an inexperienced back line.

Dark horses for me are Uruguay. 

I really fancied Spain, up until today. 

They just have winners throughout the side, and the best midfield in the whole tournament. De Gea is the best goalkeeper in the World. Ramos and Pique are as good as they come at centre half, and both have come off hugely successful seasons. Slight concern in the striker department. Costa hasn't had a great season, and he's their only top class striker in the squad. 

But the issue with the coach must throw everything into disarray. I'd be equally unsurprised if the situation galvanised them and see them go on to win it, or for them to emulate 2014's farce of bombing in the group stage. 

Ridiculous situation, and I find it abhorrent behaviour from Real Madrid. Clearly putting their own ego over the national side and its FA. Could the negotiations not have waited until the World Cup had finished? If not, could the announcement not have waited until after the tournament? Utterly ridiculous. I can understand why the Spanish FA President is so angry at the whole situation. Total lack of class and humility shown from Madrid. But, that shouldn't surprise anyone. 

England will scrape through winning 1-0 and 2-1 against poorer sides and probably drawing or narrowly losing to Belgium. If we meet literally any of the top 20 footballing nations in the knockout rounds, we'll get immediately and comprehensively murdered.

Spoiler alert: I haven't gone out and bought myself a big new telly. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

something about this England team which I Believe in. If they can start well and build some momentum, i think a few teams wouldn't like to play us. Very energetic midfield/attack, the team look very fit and fast. It's coming home. Believe.

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Brazil or Germany to win. If they can meet in the final ,they will. 

England to go out in the first knockout round after playing Harry Kane for 3 90 minute goaless games, whilst Rashford looks on bemused as an unused sub.

If they meet in the final, one of them has to win, dont they?

Not followed the World Cup for a few years (4), so rules may have changed.

lol

Edited by daleblue

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

England will scrape through winning 1-0 and 2-1 against poorer sides and probably drawing or narrowly losing to Belgium. If we meet literally any of the top 20 footballing nations in the knockout rounds, we'll get immediately and comprehensively murdered.

Spoiler alert: I haven't gone out and bought myself a big new telly. lol

Get yourself out buy a big telly (always a good investment for watching Wednesday).:dry:

BELIEVE.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Brazil or Germany to win. If they can meet in the final ,they will. 

England to go out in the first knockout round after playing Harry Kane for 3 90 minute goaless games, whilst Rashford looks on bemused as an unused sub.

Was thinking Germany or Belgium. Thinking of having an outside punt on Croatia. Pulled Argies out of the office sweepstake. Can't see them winning  but like Gerry, they tend to scrape through qualification and turn it on in the tournament