WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

Reminded me of so many games at Hillsborough.  First half - one team parks the bus, and allows the other to rely on break-aways or set-pieces. This takes a lot of the steam out. Second half, they attack, and we are found lacking.

Look at the stats, and throughout the tournament, the number of shots on goal, apart from set pieces, was the lowest of the tournament

We have improved, BUT, and isn't there always a but, we lack a true acreative  attacking forward.

maybe a role for Macguire, if a replacement centre back can be found.

25 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Reminded me of so many games at Hillsborough.  First half - one team parks the bus, and allows the other to rely on break-aways or set-pieces. This takes a lot of the steam out. Second half, they attack, and we are found lacking.

Look at the stats, and throughout the tournament, the number of shots on goal, apart from set pieces, was the lowest of the tournament

We have improved, BUT, and isn't there always a but, we lack a true acreative  attacking forward.

maybe a role for Macguire, if a replacement centre back can be found.

England play exactly like Wednesday did under CC - reluctant to get forward and virtually every attack down the wings. Stirling is exactly the same as JJ fast and runs with the ball ultimately there’s no end product 

6 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

England play exactly like Wednesday did under CC - reluctant to get forward and virtually every attack down the wings. Stirling is exactly the same as JJ fast and runs with the ball ultimately there’s no end product 

Its Sterling!!!

2 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Why does that make it wrong?  Is there a rule saying you can't use it? Wasn't so long ago that you only saw the union flag at matches very rarely did you see the St Georges Cross.

Is it upside if you're looking at it upside down?  And does it really matter if it is upside down?  

Edited by Watson

6 hours ago, Watson said:

Why does that make it wrong?  Is there a rule saying you can't use it? Wasn't so long ago that you only saw the union flag at matches very rarely did you see the St Georges Cross.

Why does that make it right?

Is it upside if you're looking at it upside down?  

We're not. It's upside down.

And does it really matter if it is upside down?  

Yes.

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2018 at 22:40, roaminowl said:

Yes, it does...

...but it's the wrong flag and it's foookin upside down. What an embarrassment.

maybe as more and more english and british find themselves lower down the education ladder, we should consider writing TOP and BOTTOM on the flag, always assuming that they can read top and bottom.

16 hours ago, Watson said:

Is it upside if you're looking at it upside down?  And does it really matter if it is upside down?  

it's classed as an insult.

15 minutes ago, Watson said:

So sensitive lol 

would the usa, french, german, australian, turkish have a flag upside down?

NO!

in some countries it may even cost you your life for doing so, if not you could disappear into the prison system never to see light again.

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

would the usa, french, german, australian, turkish have a flag upside down?

NO!

in some countries it may even cost you your life for doing so, if not you could disappear into the prison system never to see light again.

Seems silly to get so upset over a flag lots more things to get upset over

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Seems silly to get so upset over a flag lots more things to get upset over

yes of course there is, but sadly in some countries not so.

as for us doing it, for me it's likey our failing to know because they weren't educated better, or should i say took full advantage of their education.

you drive through turkey or the states and there are national flags everywhere, with people having pride in THEIR flag (unless you see a confederate battle flag in a southern state or two).

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

yes of course there is, but sadly in some countries not so.

as for us doing it, for me it's likey our failing to know because they weren't educated better, or should i say took full advantage of their education.

you drive through turkey or the states and there are national flags everywhere, with people having pride in THEIR flag (unless you see a confederate battle flag in a southern state or two).

You should find better things to have pride in than a flag.  

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Thankfully we are more enlightened today and don't get upset over such matter.  I respect what a flag can represent but sometimes the flag seems more important

we may not always be 'more enlightened' it's clearly possible for a people/nation to regress. 

i do wonder what flag will fly over these lands in 100 years time? and will it be there because being an understanding more enlightened people now, will lead us to that point in time? 

2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

we may not always be 'more enlightened' it's clearly possible for a people/nation to regress. 

i do wonder what flag will fly over these lands in 100 years time? and will it be there because being an understanding more enlightened people now, will lead us to that point in time? 

Good question, we might find a better way of understanding or revert back to hating cause we fear them.  Which is more likely the past 150 years could well be the pinnacle of human endeavour. 

Anyroad up

Belgium v England - the sequel ... kick off in less than an hour

Start of last week, I wanted this to be the final

That both managers would pick their strongest sides this time around, and we'd get the kind of game we'd normally associate with the finest traditions

of English football (given the amount of Belgian players who earn their crust in the PL)

Unfortunately, it's being played for the bronze medal and in England's case we seem likely to field a side weakened by injury (?)

Still - hoping for the best, there's nothing like going out on a high  :biggrin:

... then I can sit and watch tomorrow's final with a right face on  :mad: