WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

Blimey ...

Iran  1-1  Portugal ... First up, I switched channels at half time

Not because Iran were losing and I doubted they'd get back into it - not because there were goals in the other game either

It was the 'commentary team' that did it for me. Why does the BBC think our viewing pleasure would be enhanced by watching

the game in the company of a grumpy old sod with a chip on both shoulders?

muppetsstatlerwaldorf.jpg

Mark Lawrenson (left) provides more expert match analysis

Spain  2-2  Morocco ... So I caught up with this instead

A good, open game with plenty of action and minimal histrionics

Then Morocco went in front and although it wouldn't alter their chances of qualifying it was no less than they deserved

And then ... 91st minute ... Spain equalize ... flag up, offside. Looked offside too

Goes to VAR and if it was clearly onside they'd have cleared it up in seconds - except it took an age

The goal was given and the whole mood changes - Morocco felt robbed and rightly so IMO

Flick back to BBC1 where it's finished 1-1, thanks to a 93rd minute penalty - another VAR disaster by all accounts

Including what looks like a clear red card offence against Ronaldo, not supported by video evidence

The upshot being, VAR has had a direct bearing on the final group standings as well as fixtures for the next round

For the neutral it might provide high drama and incident, but if you ask me there's a real danger of this competition being ruined by it

• Like 1

Guest addedtime

The problem is the gamble you now take when there's two games to watch. I went for Iran Portugal last night. I think I need to drag the spare telly downstairs and go side by side.

Guest addedtime
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You chose wisely

lol

Today has to be the Nigeria/Argentina clash for me

That might be a delayed watch for me. It's my turn to take the daughter and her mates to and from Guides. Maybe press pause at 7.25 when I leave.....avoid social media and all will be fine.

5 hours ago, addedtime said:

The problem is the gamble you now take when there's two games to watch. I went for Iran Portugal last night. I think I need to drag the spare telly downstairs and go side by side.

I have one on the tv, and the other on the computer lol

Australia  0-2  Peru ... Decent game this, with a more competitive edge in the first half

Although the result wasn't really in doubt once the second goal went in

It was end to end at times but in truth, neither side showed much quality in the final third

France  0-0  Denmark ... First goalless draw of the tournament - 'nuff said

• Thanks 1

Nigeria  1-2  Argentina ... and another cracking game to add to the collection

Qualification depended on the result and the result was in the balance right until the end

It was also decided in the best possible way - a smart finish as opposed to some technical opinion

Bit tough on Nigeria, but they were rubbish against Croatia and probably didn't do enough tonight

I also think Argentina will be a tougher proposition for the French to try and bore to death

So not bad, all in all

Iceland  1-2  Croatia ... There was a moment during the second half when both games were level

I said: "I'll laugh if Argentina score, and then Iceland score and knock 'em out anyway."

My dog was the only one around to hear me, but she opened one eye - she heard me alright

• Like 2

Still in a quandary over which game to watch this afternoon

Germany are going to beat S Korea, aren't they?

Mexico will probably get the point they need to win the group (and avoid Brazil in the next round)

That's assuming Brazil fancy winning their group - only to end up playing the Germans next Monday

I suppose a couple of quick goals for Sweden might throw the cat amongst the pigeons

On 26/06/2018 at 08:27, addedtime said:

That might be a delayed watch for me. It's my turn to take the daughter and her mates to and from Guides. Maybe press pause at 7.25 when I leave.....avoid social media and all will be fine.

You know what happened in the likely lads.?or are you to young to know.

Guest addedtime
18 minutes ago, devonshire owl said:

You know what happened in the likely lads.?or are you to young to know.

I'm well aware. Although it worked a treat last night.