WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

That said, I think Germany can be a bit too pedestrian at times, would rather pass around the edge of the box or the wings rather than bursting through. Get into the box and anything can happen, fouls, ricochets, owt, also less change of being offside  

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They sat back way too much though

And gave away a really terrible free kick at the end

It was absolutely bloody shockin. I expect his gaffer is going to give him a bit of a pasting int dressing room. 

Especially as he looked like he wanted somebody to chin after the game. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Belgium  5-2  Tunisia ... That result was fine by me, we don't need any upsets or draws to complicate things

We just need England to do the business tomorrow

S Korea  1-2  Mexico ... This one was fairly routine too

Special award has to go to Dowie though, he was just putting the Koreans in their place by telling us how a side can

only be as good as the quality of their players ... then was cut off mid-sentence as Son's strike hits the back of the net

Have to say it though, aside from the French, probably Uruguay and the odd (occasionally very odd) referee decision ... oh, and VAR ... I've really

been able to get into this tournament so far. Maybe the quality of the underdog hasn't been as bad as Dowie was trying to make out

Germany  2-1  Sweden ... arrgghh

What can you say? Did Sweden deserve to lose?  Not at all

Should they have had a penalty in the first half?  Definitely

Are the Germans lucky?  Well, maybe

They did have control of the game and I always had a sneaky feeling they'd win it somehow

But what a place to give away a stupid free kick with 40 seconds left to play  ... arrgghh

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Belgium  5-2  Tunisia ... That result was fine by me, we don't need any upsets or draws to complicate things

We just need England to do the business tomorrow

S Korea  1-2  Mexico ... This one was fairly routine too

Special award has to go to Dowie though, he was just putting the Koreans in their place by telling us how a side can

only be as good as the quality of their players ... then was cut off mid-sentence as Son's strike hits the back of the net

Have to say it though, aside from the French, probably Uruguay and the odd (occasionally very odd) referee decision ... oh, and VAR ... I've really

been able to get into this tournament so far. Maybe the quality of the underdog hasn't been as bad as Dowie was trying to make out

Germany  2-1  Sweden ... arrgghh

What can you say? Did Sweden deserve to lose?  Not at all

Should they have had a penalty in the first half?  Definitely

Are the Germans lucky?  Well, maybe

They did have control of the game and I always had a sneaky feeling they'd win it somehow

But what a place to give away a stupid free kick with 40 seconds left to play  ... arrgghh

Thanks Ethel ..

Great post ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I always find a little uncomfortable is that the German organization, discipline and teamwork we're familiar with - "ants in a colony" - is a legacy of the Nazi period.

Although The Nazis were defeated, that mentality lived on.

Paradoxically, as a nation we used to be much more like that in character, but then had the sixties revolution - "let it all hang out" - and we're where we are.

I'm no imperialist, and we were right to withdraw from empire, but clearly we couldn't now govern half the world's population.

We can scarcely govern ourselves these days.

• Thanks 1

I have no doubt teams reflect their national identity - they're there to represent their nation after all

In our case, that's what makes losing so hard to swallow (imo) - especially when defeat so often comes down to individual errors, curious referee

decisions, having our star players sent off or screwing up in a penalty shoot-out - we generally like to see things done fair and square

Never been to Germany (missus has) and apparently, they're big on efficiency and organization - their tournament record is quite amazing

But there's no denying they were under pressure to succeed last night and the cracks were starting to show

I don't think elimination would see them metaphorically shipped off to secret camps

... just as I wouldn't expect the Russian squad to wind up in a salt mine, the Egyptians to make a start on that new pyramid, or the Saudi to take up new

posts as eunuchs in a royal palace somewhere ...

But they would get hammered in the national press, just like us

The difference being - we're well used to it by now

Edited by Ethel The Tree
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They sat back way too much though

And gave away a really terrible free kick at the end

As soon as he gave that free kick away I was going ballistic. 

My wife said “they aren’t going to score from there are they! Calm down.”  

Nearly slapped her when Kroos scored 

3 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I have no doubt teams reflect their national identity - they're there to represent their nation after all

In our case, that's what makes losing so hard to swallow (imo) - especially when defeat so often comes down to individual errors, curious referee

decisions, having our star players sent off or screwing up in a penalty shoot-out - we generally like to see things done fair and square

Never been to Germany (missus has) and apparently, they're big on efficiency and organization - their tournament record is quite amazing

But there's no denying they were under pressure to succeed last night and the cracks were starting to show

I don't think elimination would see them metaphorically shipped off to secret camps

... just as I wouldn't expect the Russian squad to wind up in a salt mine, the Egyptians to make a start on that new pyramid, or the Saudi to take up new

posts as eunuchs in a royal palace somewhere ...

But they would get hammered in the national press, just like us

The difference being - we're well used to it by now

Everything bang on except that one Ethel?  WTF:

Makes the eyes water thinking about it mate ...

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 2