Westwood Vows To Bounce Back

He's like one or two of our 'older' end  have good contracts at Hillsborough  Unless they went on a free we have them for some time like it or not. He is 33 so no one is going to offer him big money. That may well work in out favour unlike a couple of others who on our books who we need to shift but probably can't.

I hope he stays at Wednesday 

to try and use an Only Fools & Horses quote: 

I’d rather he was inside the tent spitting out, than outside the tent spitting in” 

hes is still a great keeper and I don’t think (at 33 with injuries) we’d get any big money for him. Best to keep him here to play a part & help the young blood coming through. 

He’s the best we’ve got. Let’s get him fit and play him in the last year of his contract and let’s push on. Dawson and Wildsmith are not at his level. They are promising and one day one of them could be. 

Westwood will still be a top keeper at this level for a couple of years yet providing he’s fit. Can’t really understand people wanting him to leave. He’s a class act. 

5 hours ago, CLswfc said:

He's like one or two of our 'older' end  have good contracts at Hillsborough  Unless they went on a free we have them for some time like it or not. He is 33 so no one is going to offer him big money. That may well work in out favour unlike a couple of others who on our books who we need to shift but probably can't.

He’s not a winger??? 

How old was van der sar when man it’s paid ten million for him a decade or so ago? Early 30’s is prime for a keeper. 

I don't believe Westwood will leave.

I think should we get a request for him to leave on a free, Wednesday should take it to free up wages and allow the progression of one of Wildsmith or Dawson.

Transfer fee is not the issue, it's purely wages for me.    

If he stays, one of the kids needs a really good loan out though, and I'm thinking good is top end L1 or a Championship whipping boy team.     Both scenarios give really good experience.   

Westwood also needs to be not guaranteed No1 too.   I think it's a no holds barred 3 way fight for the shirt.

I think he’s the best keeper we’ve had in the last 20 years. In my opinion, he wasn’t at his best last season because he’s been playing with a niggling injury for about 18 month - not bad enough to risk surgery but bad enough to prevent him from being at his best. 

I like Wildsmith and Dawson but neither are yet as good as a fully fit Westwood - maybe in a year or two but not yet. 

Both of our young keepers are on long contracts.  Maybe we should consider sending one out on loan for the first half of the season and the other out on loan for the second half if we have a fit Westwood. 

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

I think he’s the best keeper we’ve had in the last 20 years. In my opinion, he wasn’t at his best last season because he’s been playing with a niggling injury for about 18 month - not bad enough to risk surgery but bad enough to prevent him from being at his best. 

I like Wildsmith and Dawson but neither are yet as good as a fully fit Westwood - maybe in a year or two but not yet. 

Both of our young keepers are on long contracts.  Maybe we should consider sending one out on loan for the first half of the season and the other out on loan for the second half if we have a fit Westwood. 

Westwood is never fit , he’s had injury problems for years. Even when he plays he’s carrying knocks , hence his kicking is so atrocious. He’s was excellent for 2/3 years and the best we have had for donkeys  . Having said that , the club finally seems to be looking forward instead of backwards , maybe it’s about time the fans did too. He’s well past his best and would be a big wage off the books.