Have you ever caught or headed the ball at a match?

I was at the Ricoh when a 7 year old got whacked in the head by a wayward Tudgay practice effort. 

Needless to say, the 7 year old wasn't particularly happy. 

Tbf Tudgay was over straight away to apologise. I think JJ use to do something similar but then gave up when he had to make 5 apologies every match. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Haha 1

Against Coventry at home... I think it was the Dublin hat-trick game. I used to sit behind gangway E in the North, row 16 on the aisle. I caught the ball and then went to kick it back, but mis-timed it... it hit my toe and because of that, it didn't have the trajectory to get over the gangway, and so it hit it and bounced back at me. I caught it again and made bloody sure that my second attempt went further! Not my finest moment!!

When we played villa opening match other season, after FF scored Bannan hit a shot over the bar, ball rolled down the steps and I was on the end seat, held on to it until our players got back into position then just chucked it more centrally to waste a bit more time, villa fans did it earlier in the game.

Preston away start of 2017/18 season. I was sat in the home end on the front row. Ball came out for a Wednesday throw in. Instinctively I stepped forwards and palmed it back to Wallace. In the process I accidently decked a young PNE fan into the advertising board prompting a huge cheer from the Owls masses and a swift exit for me.

Yes quite a few years ago (70 's) WAS nthe north stand after being in travellers wadsley bridge for a few hours before.ball was cleared into stand in my direction as with quite a few games then we weren't at our best anyway as it came in my direction was up and powered a header straight to Mick Pickering.... I don't know who was more surprised me or him

Edited by Bigaltheowl

On 03/11/2016 at 22:19, spike1867 said:

My mate Dean wearing a Mitre Delta after trying his best centre half impression. We were about 12-13 and he collected a clearance right in the sun dial. About 10 rows back just to the side of the tunnel. Dean stands up, calls DEANO'S! and as he drew his head back it got big on him and smacked him straight in the grid. Over the back of the seat he went.

Old men, children, mums, dad's and all his mates laughing there swallocks off......my mental snapshot is Dean's face, squashed nose and MITRE in big letters.

I posted this a while back.  I think it was a clearance from Lawrie Madden if memory serves. It wasn't me but it still is the funniest thing I ever remember at Hillsborough.  He had a tendency for the stupid too.  A couple of years later we were playing for the school side and he comes thundering in back post from an inswinging free kick.  Rocket header into the far side of the goal back across the keeper, as he landed he turned to wheel away and ran straight into the far post.  Fair play though, he played the rest of the game with a cricket ball size lump on his forehead.  Every time he got up for a header (centre half) he winced.  He reckoned he couldn't remember anything of the next few hours.  After the game we "signed" the lump with black marker for his MoM performance. 

Back to the OP...no after Dean's poor showing and the grief he got afterwards I decided discretion was the better part of valour and attempting headers in the crowd was not for me.  Since then, like the lottery, never got close.

• Like 1

Never headed a ball but chap sat behind me headed me when a cross was sent into box onto Lee Chapmans head. I a sure wehave all dumied an header in but this guy gave me a bump on back of my head. He was apologetic and rubbed back of my head and there was fits of laughter all round. Only time involved in any sort of violence at a game.

No idea who chap was except looked like a young version of actor Tommy Craig.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f675defbb12fa095Sheffield Wednesday vs Bury 672.JPG

Have you ever caught or headed the ball at a match? 

Have you ever jumped for a header to head it back and missed?

Got hit by the ball right in the face?

This is your opportunity to share your joy/anguish

I have on a wet winter night ball came to me I grabbed it tried throwing it back it went straight up in air landed 2 rows further down haha bleeding wet ball and gloves I felt a tw@t lol 

Villa Park in mid 90s, stood near front and ball came sailing over from a cross on opposite side of goal and about half a dozen of us lent forward trying to catch it, we all ended up in a pile on floor on row of empty seats in front. :duntmatter:  lol