Have you ever caught or headed the ball at a match?

In all my years of attending I never had until the Norwich game (last match of last season) the ball flew into the South Stand from a clearance straight to me, coupled with the scoreline - a happy day. :luhukay:

At Maine Rd once years ago a load of balls (ahem) were bouncing around in the crowd before the game, a mate of mine went to punch one and clocked me full on in the side of the face, incidentally the tannoy announcer had to ask for the balls back before the game kicked off. :duntmatter:

Derby away in the cup, night match mid 80,s..........the one when it was so cold Martin Hodge got concussion when his head hit the pitch.

There was some problem at the turnstiles so we had been led in around the perimeter of the pitch to join the away end , just as i was about level with the goals where Wednesday were warming up i heard a bloke behind me shout "Heads" , i glanced round and saw a stray ball flying towards me.

In a trice i showed Wednesday what they had missed by not signing me when i left school by backing off a couple of paces, caught the ball on my chest and volleyed straight back to Hodgies hands (which was pretty impressive as i was wearing about 4 layers of clothes AND a sheepskin, christ it was cold that night).

Two things happened...............i got a big Raaaay from the travelling owls and a grin and thumbs up from Mr Hodge himself.

As i took my place in the crowd some bloke asked for my autograph ha ha and said "i hope Chapman was watching that............if he was he`ll be thinking why didnt that idiot just head it !!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sheriwozgod said:

Derby away in the cup, night match mid 80,s..........the one when it was so cold Martin Hodge got concussion when his head hit the pitch.

There was some problem at the turnstiles so we had been led in around the perimeter of the pitch to join the away end , just as i was about level with the goals where Wednesday were warming up i heard a bloke behind me shout "Heads" , i glanced round and saw a stray ball flying towards me.

In a trice i showed Wednesday what they had missed by not signing me when i left school by backing off a couple of paces, caught the ball on my chest and volleyed straight back to Hodgies hands (which was pretty impressive as i was wearing about 4 layers of clothes AND a sheepskin, christ it was cold that night).

Two things happened...............i got a big Raaaay from the travelling owls and a grin and thumbs up from Mr Hodge himself.

As i took my place in the crowd some bloke asked for my autograph ha ha and said "i hope Chapman was watching that............if he was he`ll be thinking why didnt that idiot just head it !!"

ha ha ha awesome!

Owlstalk Shop

About 7/8 years ago when I lived down south I used to watch my local conference side all the time. Think they were in the conference north at the time, despite being well south of Watford Gap services (:biggrin:). A 50/50 challenge results in the ball crossing the touchline, I bend over the advertising hoardings to pick the ball up and discover that the ref has given the throw-in to the opposition. I didn't much agree with this decision and somewhat forcefully threw the ball back to the opposition player who had come over to take the throw while telling the ref some varient to "piddle off".

Anyway, this opposition player didn't appreciate having a ball pelted at his head by some greasy-haired acne-ridden scróte... His reaction towards me resulted in a yellow card and abuse from those around me for the rest of the game lol

The ball doesn't often reach row 40 of the North Stand...

But over the years I've managed to get a touch of the ball at Hillsborough (when we sat nearer the front), Anfield, Ninian Park and Elland Road. None of which were actual catches which resulted in me nonchalantly returning the ball to a player with everyone thinking how cool I am - at away games when we're nearer the front I always have a huge phobia that one day I'll catch the ball but in trying to throw it back I'll do a pathetic girly throw that doesn't even reach the pitch resulting in me becoming a laughing stock forever.

• Haha 2

Was stood behind a practice net when the players were shooting before a game at Tranmere. 

I assume it was JJ who skied one and I produced an absolute worldy of a save. Leapt in the air like a graceful salmon and caught it, proper palm stinger.  

Pretty sure it was the game we lost 3-0 and made Showunmi look like Drogba, so this was definitely the highlight. 

Stood behind the goal at Villa Park (December 1998 I think) and Carbone hit a shot during the warm up. Uncharacteristically of Carbone, it went flying over the bar, I turned round the see where the ball had gone, and hit rebounded off a seat and smashed me full in the face. Broke my glasses, so could see f*ck all all game as well! Lost 2-1, Carbone scored.

• Haha 9