Liam Palmer

I’m sorry, but I will slate a player when I don’t think they are good English.

I remember first season under Carlos I tore into him a bit. People’s reactions were he’s part of our best ever clean sheet record. My response was he was constantly getting bailed out by Westwood and Lees.

To me, if you’ve played in defence or in goal at an ok level you can see all his flaws.

He allows too much space inside him and outside.

He has zero awareness and no sense of urgency when defending.

Doesn’t tend to go to the ball to tackle or drop off, kind of stands in the middle group. This is awful.

Stands off players and lets them cross, honestly look back at games and you’ll see he’s always several yards away. Almost like he’s inviting a player to go round him, play a one two or just put it any area they desire.

When he does attempt to tackle its average at best.

He’s lazy getting back into position.

His crossing in general is poor.

Doesn’t contribute goals or assists.

He doesn’t carry the ball. Might walk two yards and he actually stops the ball dead, it’s bizarre. head up and looks for a pass, which is usually sideways or a poor chip down the line. 

The amount of times I think make a challenge just inside your own half, even if it’s a foul and he just drops off, drops off and their player is in the area and now he can’t make a challenge infuriates me.

I may sound harsh, but I honestly can’t see what he offers at this level? Would love someone to tell me. Just offers nothing offensively and personally I see numerous defensive mistakes that aren’t glaringly obvious every time he plays. 

I admit I've always criticised him more than most, but I always think praise where it’s due and be honest when someone isn’t good enough.

If he wasn’t an academy player and we signed him even on a free, would anyone be remotely pleased with him?

I like Palmer, I think he's one of a number of players over the last three years that needs to play 10 games in a row. Dropping in and out doesn't do him much good. He's nowhere near as bad as some make out. Some of the abuse he gets is beyond belief and I think it effects him more than anyone else because he's been here the longest and actually understands the fan base. I've always said about him and Hunt that if someone was available for a good price that was clearly better then get them but I'm not sure that player is available.

5 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I’m sorry, but I will slate a player when I don’t think they are good English.

I remember first season under Carlos I tore into him a bit. People’s reactions were he’s part of our best ever clean sheet record. My response was he was constantly getting bailed out by Westwood and Lees.

To me, if you’ve played in defence or in goal at an ok level you can see all his flaws.

Doesn’t tend to go to the ball to tackle or drop off, kind of stands in the middle group. This is awful.

Stands off players and lets them cross, honestly look back at games and you’ll see he’s always several yards away. Almost like he’s inviting a player to go round him, play a one two or just put it any area they desire.

He doesn’t carry the ball. Might walk two yards and he actually stops the ball dead, it’s bizarre. head up and looks for a pass, which is usually sideways or a poor chip down the line. 

The amount of times I think make a challenge just inside your own half, even if it’s a foul and he just drops off, drops off and their player is in the area and now he can’t make a challenge infuriates me.

I may sound harsh, but I honestly can’t see what he offers at this level? Would love someone to tell me. Just offers nothing offensively and personally I see numerous defensive mistakes that aren’t glaringly obvious every time he plays. 

I admit I've always criticised him more than most, but I always think praise where it’s due and be honest when someone isn’t good enough.

If he wasn’t an academy player and we signed him even on a free, would anyone be remotely pleased with him?

Tek it your not a fan of Liam then bud :tango:

Must say Ive always seen him as a RM player not a defender,theres deffo a decent player in him,not sure its at this level,Hunt is a massive upgrade when hes fit gives us way more options,just see Hunt as more switched on upstairs football wise,alas Hunt has a glass knee and it seems to be getting worse

11 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

The miss away at Newcastle sums him up. 

Would have been a glory goal but instead he lost all composure and it landed in the Tyne. 

As a team we lack goals from other positions,its a major fault,Lee weighs in,but in general its poor,the CBs and MF contribute too little

22 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Tek it your not a fan of Liam then bud :tango:

Must say Ive always seen him as a RM player not a defender,theres deffo a decent player in him,not sure its at this level,Hunt is a massive upgrade when hes fit gives us way more options,just see Hunt as more switched on upstairs football wise,alas Hunt has a glass knee and it seems to be getting worse

Haha I knew the first response would be not a fan of him lol

can you disagree with the points I’ve made though? He will continue to make a decent living out of football for 5 years or so yet. But I would wager he will drop down the leagues pretty soon.

I Haven’t seen him play there but what do you think he would offer playing on the right in midfield?

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

This is spot on.

He has a tendency to get into "good positions" when attacking but I can't remember him taking advantage or creating anything of note. The way he plays; it seems everythings going at 300mph. It could be a confidence thing or he's playing above his level.

It's a shame the only positives about Liam Palmer are he's physically able and his age.

Edited by bigash_swfc

Looks like a player in need of a fresh start somewhere.

Has become too comfotable in his role as reserve full back at Hillsborough, a position he was pressed into originally when Lweis Buxton became injury prone.

Looked a promising young midfielder when he first broke into the team and had a successful loan at Tranmere playing centre midfield as a youngster.

Don't think he has the energy and tactical awareness to be a wing back in Jos's set up.

Looked terribly unfit and almost pot bellied early part of last season though which could be part of the problem.

Ash Baker looks ready to step into the second choice right wing back position ahead of  Palmer to me.

Without any inside knowledge of his salary I’d guess that we pay him a great deal less than many other players that in my opinion need to depart before him.

I’m assuming as a home grown player that knows he’s a back up he’s probably as good as you’re going to get for the outlay. Back up players and squad members that drop in when called upon without moaning are vastly underrated. 

19 hours ago, Sonny said:

Clearly wasn’t fit enough last season. Can he get back faster when fit? Maybe but how the hell should I know.

On that basis he hasn't been fit since he broke into the first team squad. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

This. I think he’s good enough anc can be better; he just needs a consistent run of games. 

Would that be the similar assessment folk use for Rhodes. He as been at the club for many years, he as had more than sufficient opportunities to stake his place. He hasn't produced so he as becomes a squad player, and not very good one at that.

He's an adequate back up for the odd game.

Offers nothing going forward, ok defending.  His problem is that he isn't a wing back or centre back so not sure where he fits in under Jos and probably why he dropped off the radar towards the end of the season.

At his age a move would suit all parties, he should be playing more games and can't see him getting a game ahead of Hunt and Baker.

Nothing against him he gives his all but if we are to progress we need better. These are areas we have been wrong in since DC took over.

I like Hunt but he is not good enough for the next level and Palmer is not good enough to replace Hunt... so look to ofload Palmer and get Hunt someone to xhanllange him.  

This should have happened 2 years ago