Liam Palmer

No longer a kid, and with quite a bit of game time under his belt.

Does he have a future with SWFC?

Persistently manager after manager at Wednesday have said he is technically good enough to play top flight, yet often he is considered a weak link?

Turned to full back, even after a successful full season in the heart of midfield out on loan (more first team starts for Tranmere than any other time in his career)

I ask because i've just been told, rather jokingly, that the pigs are in for him - but I personally think like a lot of players, he could fulfill his potential here with the correct mentoring - just like it seems Nuhiu has.

I know most comments will be "not good enough, get rid" but I do wonder why so many have suggested he is good enough to play higher level?

Part of the modern game of a full back is to bomb up and down the wing. He can bomb up the wing alright but it's his laboured manner in getting back that worries me. If he were getting into great positions and providing assist after assist or chipping in with the odd goal you could forgive this slightly but he isn't. 

I know that he's only reverted to a full back in recent years but he still doesn't totally understand the fundamentals of the role and therefore getting in a player who does know the role would be better and it also gives Liam a chance to freshen up his career as he will never be first choice in a club wanting to move forwards like ours.

Edited by Junk Smuggler

not good enough but always strikes me he will probably be happy to stay his entire career in and around squad

as op states no longer a kid and if he had more ability and self belief he ought to be pushing for more game time whether with us or elsewhere but just seems happy to plod along   

Should have been given a chance to really flourish in central midfield for us.

Saw him play a reserve game at Port Vale back in the days of Steve MacLean etc - he was so far ahead of the others in terms of vision and passing ability he looked like a genuine international class player.

25 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

not good enough but always strikes me he will probably be happy to stay his entire career in and around squad

as op states no longer a kid and if he had more ability and self belief he ought to be pushing for more game time whether with us or elsewhere but just seems happy to plod along   

See what he's like after :luhukay: has put him through the wringer pre season ....

Others in the squad included too ..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Should have been given a chance to really flourish in central midfield for us.

Saw him play a reserve game at Port Vale back in the days of Steve MacLean etc - he was so far ahead of the others in terms of vision and passing ability he looked like a genuine international class player.

Jesus Christ!! Have you seen him when he has to deliver a key ball or finds himself in a good position at an angle in front of goal. Corner flags start shaking - horrendous!!

• Like 1