Johnny Quinn's 80th Birthday Party

The mighty Quinn was 80 on Wednesday and Keith Farnsworth, the Wednesday historian has given permission for this great photo of John Quinn's birthday get together to be put on here - I'm sure you can all spot the Wednesday Legends on the group photo.

The second is John (on left) and Keith.

34142084_2116834775219096_2508809784799526912_n.jpg.7e049c6ec35dcd8bdfbf67da3078091e.jpg

33987327_2116834978552409_3443319390517329920_n.jpg.0b27437e41c38a4b4ded0cd2f6a0bd30.jpg

Here's wishing a very happy 80th Birthday to the remarkable Johnny Quinn ! 25 goals in 196 goals for #SWFC 1959-67 and #Mighty record of raising thousands of £££s for charity. #AllStar #Sheffield

John in his playing days!

Quinn.jpg.987a9df24f16db22e750fdc6e3e8527c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

The mighty Quinn was 80 on Wednesday and Keith Farnsworth, the Wednesday historian has given permission for this great photo of John Quinn's birthday get together to be put on here - I'm sure you can all spot the Wednesday Legends on the group photo.

The second is John (on left) and Keith.

34142084_2116834775219096_2508809784799526912_n.jpg.7e049c6ec35dcd8bdfbf67da3078091e.jpg

33987327_2116834978552409_3443319390517329920_n.jpg.0b27437e41c38a4b4ded0cd2f6a0bd30.jpg

Here's wishing a very happy 80th Birthday to the remarkable Johnny Quinn ! 25 goals in 196 goals for #SWFC 1959-67 and #Mighty record of raising thousands of £££s for charity. #AllStar #Sheffield

John in his playing days!

Quinn.jpg.987a9df24f16db22e750fdc6e3e8527c.jpg

Happy Birthday

He Did loads for local charities and I was always in and out of his sports shop that he had at the bottom of our road along with Gerry youngs trophies

Sorry for the two-footed tackle from behind Johnny, when we played Mel Sterland's All Stars a few years ago. Rush of blood to the head on my part. Fair play for jumping right up and calling me a cheeky monkey!

Purely by chance I was in The Travellers where his birthday reception was held. Just popped in for a quick pint before heading for the airport.

To be honest until the speeches started I had no idea and then dumbstruck. 

• Like 2

Great, great memories from the last knockings of an age when players like Johnny still cared more about their club and fans than money and tattoos. 

Happy birthday Mighty One and best wishes to all your fellow legends.

1 hour ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

I only recognise John, Gerry, Pete Eustace and Graham Birks. Pity the photo can't be enlarged.

Is that Don Megson to the right of JQ?

Happy Birthday, mighty one!

Here's Keith's note of some of the attendees  : Here’s the names of some of those present that should help you do a bit of player spotting...Barry Murphy, Colin Dobson, John Dungworth, Gerry Young, David Gibson, Trevor Swift, Graham Birks, Duggie McMillan, Don Megson, Peter Eustace, Brian Joicey, David Ford, Sam Ellis, John Breckin, Quinny, Gordon Simmonite, Ronnie Glavin.

2 hours ago, S A Andy said:

Brian Joicey : tall guy to the right of Peter Eustace.   David Ford to the right of BJ in the light blue shirt & demins? Colin Dobson crouched down next to Don Megson?

I think Dobson is between young & Farnworth …….

19 minutes ago, longreach said:

All my childhood heros. Wish it was possible to blow this photo up.

I can manage to zoom in on my phone, although not sure if that actually helps.

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Here's Keith's note of some of the attendees  : Here’s the names of some of those present that should help you do a bit of player spotting...Barry Murphy, Colin Dobson, John Dungworth, Gerry Young, David Gibson, Trevor Swift, Graham Birks, Duggie McMillan, Don Megson, Peter Eustace, Brian Joicey, David Ford, Sam Ellis, John Breckin, Quinny, Gordon Simmonite, Ronnie Glavin.

It's great to see after all these years they still keep in touch.

Great to see all my old favorites together,Ive met almost all of them,been close friends with a couple over the years and still in contact them.

Best wishes to John & the boys

Hope they raised a glass to our absent friends,Im certain they will have.

What a great bunch of lads that team were. Always had time for us young lads and teens. We had the patience to hang around Ju-Onnes Hairdressers opposite the Barracks; A joint business that JQ and his wife had, an oft used meeting place for Vic Mobley and Peter Eustace. Or Buttler Road at Stannington where Don Megoson and Peter Swann and families would play host to Myers Groves hoardes of Wednesdays young fans. On the other side of town I remember the Star featuring David Ford (Long Henry Row) entertaining hoardes of Park Hill Wednesday Kids. Strange that Park Hill was viewed as being quite posh then !

Great team, Great fans. Another could Have, Should Have period in our History !  Happy belated Birthday wishes Johnny and thanks for easing my arthritic pains lol