It's all very quiet at Hillsborough

I’m sure the ground staff know what they’re doing. I didn’t think it played badly at any point last season. The goal posts and markings are in place as there have been various games going on over the last week or so. My grass is growing like mad and I’ve not put any loam down yet!

Edited by Jos’s Tache

42 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

I do know about looking after and maintaining quite large areas of grass, including at home. The routine at Hillsborough in the close season has been going on for decades and was only changed for the World Cup in 66 and Euro 96. It is a very limited window of time to get it done properly.

But heh ho,  this year everyone is on holiday instead so no worries. 

Sorry if you took offence by my jovial quote Andrew ?

It's wasn't meant as a slur on your professional knowledge ..

What's the best way to deal with Welsh chafer grub 

found one eating my cornflower roots the other day ..

my grass is ok though ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A very rare OP that falls in to a lot of different categories

come across as knowing more than the professionals category  i.e groundstaff 

totally ignore facts Category  i.e there has been charity games played in the past week

Have a dig at the owner category i.e the money has been pulled because we havent pulled the goalposts out

And my personal favourite category on owlstalk, the have a complete meltdown without having a clue whats happening but im going to post about it because ive got nothing else going off in my life Category 

56 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

I do know about looking after and maintaining quite large areas of grass, including at home. The routine at Hillsborough in the close season has been going on for decades and was only changed for the World Cup in 66 and Euro 96. It is a very limited window of time to get it done properly.

But heh ho,  this year everyone is on holiday instead so no worries. 

So because you mow your lawn you are now an expert on football pitch maintenance. 

Furthermore, you choose to completely ignore the fact that the club has been hiring the pitch out to fans. They're not going to start relaying the pitch until that's all completed. 

What a plonker. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

A very rare OP that falls in to a lot of different categories

come across as knowing more than the professionals category  i.e groundstaff 

totally ignore facts Category  i.e there has been charity games played in the past week

Have a dig at the owner category i.e the money has been pulled because we havent pulled the goalposts out

And my personal favourite category on owlstalk, the have a complete meltdown without having a clue whats happening but im going to post about it because ive got nothing else going off in my life Category 

Op not ITK at all obviously,doesn't even take into account the world loam shortage currently troubling leading politicians across the world.

24 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Sorry if you took offence by my jovial quote Andrew ?

It's wasn't meant as a slur on your professional knowledge ..

What's the best way to deal with Welsh chafer grub 

found one eating my cornflower roots the other day ..

my grass is ok though ....

Concrete garymegson

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Quite worrying lack of activity at Hillsborough. Never mind the sign falling down, this is usually the busiest time of the year for the ground staff, preparing the pitch for the new season. Our Desso pitch was easily in its worst state since it was laid at the end of the season (I posted photos a couple of months ago). So the expectation is that there would be some quite frantic work carrying out repairs and over seeding with a loam mix. The Desso site quite clearly lists the work which should be done in the close season.

And yet, nothing is happening. For the first time I can remember in the summer, no loam has been delivered, no repairs have been made, the pitch doesn't look as though anything is being done. The goalposts are still up, the nets are still on, the remains of markings are still there. Looks as though the plug has been pulled on expenditure.

At this rate, we will start the season with the worst pitch in the Championship. Is anyone worried?

Here’s what they say needs to happen in the close season...

Where’s the loaming?

https://www.grassmastersolutions.com/en/expertise

End of season renovation 

End of season renovations are important to maintain platform performance for the coming season and to ensure the longevity of your GrassMaster Solutions hybrid grass pitches.

Renovation steps include:

• removing all vegetation, including organic build-up and any thatch layer present
  • removing any undesirable plants
  • creating a clean and healthy growing environment for the grass
  • aerating the soil profile
  • ensuring good drainage, surface levels, and pitch playability
  • teasing fibres up above the sand to ensure surface stability and optimum performance
  • establishing a healthy new grass sward

1 hour ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Quite worrying lack of activity at Hillsborough. Never mind the sign falling down, this is usually the busiest time of the year for the ground staff, preparing the pitch for the new season. Our Desso pitch was easily in its worst state since it was laid at the end of the season (I posted photos a couple of months ago). So the expectation is that there would be some quite frantic work carrying out repairs and over seeding with a loam mix. The Desso site quite clearly lists the work which should be done in the close season.

And yet, nothing is happening. For the first time I can remember in the summer, no loam has been delivered, no repairs have been made, the pitch doesn't look as though anything is being done. The goalposts are still up, the nets are still on, the remains of markings are still there. Looks as though the plug has been pulled on expenditure.

At this rate, we will start the season with the worst pitch in the Championship. Is anyone worried?

Don't know about you mate but my grass lawn is doing great with the warm humid weather is is growing and thickening up. I would not be worrying about the pitch, Hillsborough has always had a few drainage issue being so closed to the river but the pitch will be the last thing to worry about at the moment, they may even be letting it grow a bit and thicken up to places.