It's all very quiet at Hillsborough

Quite worrying lack of activity at Hillsborough. Never mind the sign falling down, this is usually the busiest time of the year for the ground staff, preparing the pitch for the new season. Our Desso pitch was easily in its worst state since it was laid at the end of the season (I posted photos a couple of months ago). So the expectation is that there would be some quite frantic work carrying out repairs and over seeding with a loam mix. The Desso site quite clearly lists the work which should be done in the close season.

And yet, nothing is happening. For the first time I can remember in the summer, no loam has been delivered, no repairs have been made, the pitch doesn't look as though anything is being done. The goalposts are still up, the nets are still on, the remains of markings are still there. Looks as though the plug has been pulled on expenditure.

At this rate, we will start the season with the worst pitch in the Championship. Is anyone worried?

• Haha 5

No. Not doing it. Not having another close season of bed wetting on here about every little thing.

We've got a manager who seems to have a plan and a squad that should be fit for next season.

Focus on the world cup or your gardening or something and stop worrying

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

No. Not doing it. Not having another close season of bed wetting on here about every little thing.

We've got a manager who seems to have a plan and a squad that should be fit for next season.

Focus on the world cup or your gardening or something and stop worrying

Don't think the pitch is just a "little thing". It is a critical part of the game. There is more work being done at Ecclesfield Red Rose!

11 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Quite worrying lack of activity at Hillsborough. Never mind the sign falling down, this is usually the busiest time of the year for the ground staff, preparing the pitch for the new season. Our Desso pitch was easily in its worst state since it was laid at the end of the season (I posted photos a couple of months ago). So the expectation is that there would be some quite frantic work carrying out repairs and over seeding with a loam mix. The Desso site quite clearly lists the work which should be done in the close season.

And yet, nothing is happening. For the first time I can remember in the summer, no loam has been delivered, no repairs have been made, the pitch doesn't look as though anything is being done. The goalposts are still up, the nets are still on, the remains of markings are still there. Looks as though the plug has been pulled on expenditure.

At this rate, we will start the season with the worst pitch in the Championship. Is anyone worried?

Get a grip mate, everyone is on holiday.

Last pre-season we didn't announce our first friendly until the end of June, now we have 2, calm down & let the players/manager have a break so they're re-charged for next season.

Edited by gypsyowl

9 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

You seem to know your onions AR ?

Bet your front gardens Block paviour and the rears decking and golden gravel ....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

You seem to know your onions AR ?

Bet your front gardens Block paviour and the rears decking and golden gravel ....lol

I do know about looking after and maintaining quite large areas of grass, including at home. The routine at Hillsborough in the close season has been going on for decades and was only changed for the World Cup in 66 and Euro 96. It is a very limited window of time to get it done properly.

But heh ho,  this year everyone is on holiday instead so no worries. 

• Thanks 1