Matias wants to stay..

10 hours ago, twolaptops said:

Pay as you Play contract then............................SSP if injured

I don't think legally that would cut it these days.

We did that with Trevor Francis, maybe other since but I don't know who those might be.   Those days are long gone.

9 hours ago, ThisCityIsOurs88 said:

Has anybody actually seen anything from him to suggest he is ‘quality’ as some say? Aside from the Leeds goal he’s done fizz all of note. 

Got himself off against Fulham, often looks like a time bomb with the way he runs at the opposition when they have the ball. An easy target for a ref, so got a further red against Brum.

Said it all at Carlisle this season, at the final whistle the players came over to the fans, he took one look and went down the tunnel.

He's just a headache and wage bill we don't need.

His wonder goal came off his shin. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Got himself off against Fulham, often looks like a time bomb with the way he runs at the opposition when they have the ball. An easy target for a ref, so got a further red against Brum.

Said it all at Carlisle this season, at the final whistle the players came over to the fans, he took one look and went down the tunnel.

He's just a headache and wage bill we don't need.

His wonder goal came off his shin. 

Agreed he looks like He could get sent off at any minute when running at the opposition, but in his defense he didn’t do a single thing wrong against Birmingham, should have been the Brum player that got sent off, such a bad decision by the ref

Hes been a HUGE dissapointment.

Hes a massive talent,pacey,skillfull and quick feet,could be a proper handfull and a real asset at championship level,alas weve only seen it in fleeting glimpses,one of our sicknote brigade.Naturally i wanted it to work out for the boy here,alas it hasnt and if we can recoup his fee id let the kid move on and look for a younger fitter version.

Far too many players at the club cant manage a full season,its disruptive & costly considering the wages they pull,consistency in team selection is major recipe for sucessfull sides.

Edited by legendaryswan

I genuinely feel there is still a very good player in Marco Matias. I appreciate why there is a lot of scepticism around him and I often see a lot of people roll their eyes when his name is mentioned but in fairness to him we've never really played a system that has fitted him since Carlos dropped the out and out 4-3-3 and went with a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 making it tough for him when he got back from a nasty groin injury. He has shown the odd flash of quality and with a run of games I don't see why he can't at least contribute going forward. People have been crying out for pace (the idea of pace and how it should be used is another debate) and he has it.

It's time to be ruthless, I suspect we'll have little choice but to see out his contract but it should not be renewed. It's true we've seen flashes of how good he could be but the injury situation is not acceptable. That may not be his fault and as we know the management at the club during his time with us has most likely contributed to it but enough is enough. He's been injured way too much to remain at the club, end of.   

I'm going to have to resort to cliché here.

It's 40 or 50 games of hard slog in the championship...if you want success... you've got to have a core group that you can absolutely rely on.

It's time to stop making excuses for players like Matias.

I can understand why he has been mostly slated. However no player wants to be injured all the time. It’s bloody soul destroying. Yes he’s picking up a hefty wage and that will be of comfort. I guarantee that he’d rather be playing and picking up his wage.

Personally I can see the quality he has when he has played. Got to stay fit and be more consistent because he could be a real asset at this level.

Huge problem is that if he does perform he’s then available on a free. Then would no doubt jump ship for a better deal elsewhere. Kind of a shitty situation really.

3 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I can understand why he has been mostly slated. However no player wants to be injured all the time. It’s bloody soul destroying. Yes he’s picking up a hefty wage and that will be of comfort. I guarantee that he’d rather be playing and picking up his wage.

Personally I can see the quality he has when he has played. Got to stay fit and be more consistent because he could be a real asset at this level.

Huge problem is that if he does perform he’s then available on a free. Then would no doubt jump ship for a better deal elsewhere. Kind of a shitty situation really.

Name a club Jonesy that would want him with his track record?

Although.. I agree he looks the part at times.

It’s not a case of is he good enough, a decision has to be made around his injury record, even though it’s not his fault. 

We need players who are both physically robust and mentaly resilient as an absolute minimum.

36 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

If we get the benefit of him having performed next season, I think we have to consider that some kind of win even if he were then to leave for nothing.

And if we were to offer him a new contract and he signs it then I can only hope it's because the club feels confident that his injury issues are a thing of the past.

Lets see what he has to offer this year.................makes no sense to me to pay him for 3 years while he is injured only to let him leave when he is fit, lets at least see what kind of impact he has with a run in the side and make a decision in January.

• Like 56

24 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Lets see what he has to offer this year.................makes no sense to me to pay him for 3 years while he is injured only to let him leave when he is fit, lets at least see what kind of impact he has with a run in the side and make a decision in January.

Looks like Are Not What They Seem likes

Your post mate ?

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Name a club Jonesy that would want him with his track record?

Although.. I agree he looks the part at times.

If he comes close to repeating what he did the season before we signed him and he’s available on a free then I’d say most clubs in the division as well as some foreign ones. 

He was out out long term with hernia. I believe they don’t just come back very often. Then a groin injury and suffered set backs. Could be wrong and speculation on my part, but could he be another that suffered as Carlos rushed back to training, despite not picking him. God knows how many players received set backs. None more than Marco.

I’d just be intrigued to see how he does pre season. I just don’t think he’s as made of biscuits as Hutch for example, even though he record here is shocking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Barely played and wants to stay? What does that say? Even if he impresses in his last season we'd be mad to offer him an extension. 

Don't know,what does it say?

So if by chance he played most games and was on fire you'd let him walk away?