England squad - What might have been.

Just thinking what might have been if we had been a club in a better position 10 to 15 years ago with a better scouting network and a better position to attract youngsters looking at the current World Cup squad.

Danny Rose, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Gary Cahill, Kyle Walker, Jamie Vardy.

All fairly local lads to hillsborough. Ok I know we had the last one and that didn't quite work out, Maguire we know is an owl and played for the blunts so if any of them are they might have signed on.

Food for thought!

2 hours ago, j17tjp said:

Do you think if we’d have won at Wembley & made it into the sacred Prem, our players like Reach, Lee, Lees would be getting England call ups? 

Dare to dream :goalie:

Lees is better than the Munster 

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

We couldn’t even get Chris Waddle selected in the season that he won the Sports Writers award. I have often wondered how many England caps David Hirst would have won, had he had gone directly from Barnsley to Man Utd.

Hirst's lack of England caps was purely down to injuries....nothing to do with who he played for

53 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hirst's lack of England caps was purely down to injuries....nothing to do with who he played for

Sorry Ian, but I don’t agree, he would have had far better medical care at Man Utd, plus the England manager usually looks at eligible players from the top clubs, Vardy and the keepers being a refreshing exception.

Edited by optimisticowl

Think it shows there is a lot of talent to exploit locally and a good academy could really repay dividends. In last few years we have been trying but unfortunately had wrong manager to get the best out of what was being produced. Jos has shown he can be the man to link academy with first team.

Interesting a young team of lads from a Sheffield school has reached EFL final at Wembley can not remeber this happening before so it seems good players are still being produced locally.

19 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Sorry Ian, but I don’t agree, he would have had far better medical care at Man Utd, plus the England manager usually looks at eligible players from the top clubs, Vardy and the keepers being a refreshing exception.

Id have to agree with this.... 

i dont rate Phil Jones as one of the best in England. even watching him in FA cup last week was bad, but to be supporting him during the World Cup goes against everything I stand for 

lol

unless it’s a very clever ploy by Southgate... he knows Jones isn’t good enough so Southgate might bring his boots & sub himself on for one last tourny 

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Hirst injuries was plain and simple down to us, he was always rushed back too early when not match fit because we the fans loved him.

I am sure at the time I read, that we had lined up a Southampton Striker to replace Hirst if he decided to leave for £3.5m - some bloke called Alan Shearer. If Hirst had gone to Man Utd he would have had the careers Shearer had and Shearer would have been Hirst always injured - as you forget he got a lot of injuries in his career at Blackburn and Newcastle but he got proper treatment and not rush back.