Wee Barry Bannan

21 minutes ago, Lombado said:

good story snoots. how many other kids ended up on the scrapheap though. you often see these kids with great teckers but unable to play in 11v 11

oh, way to bring a feel good thread to its knees instantly :laugh:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lombado said:

good story snoots. how many other kids ended up on the scrapheap though. you often see these kids with great teckers but unable to play in 11v 11

14 minutes ago, jellybean said:

oh, way to bring a feel good thread to its knees instantly :laugh:

Tomorrow on owlstalk,  an in depth look at Scotlands drugs pandemic which had seen drug relayed deaths jump by 129% in 10 years. 

222ee54c8a6a283373047818453c3b07.jpg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Love Bannan, even when he was going through a rough patch playing deep he would never go hiding.

No surprise when he came back this season we looked a poo-ton better.

CC got Bannan back to his best in season 1 and then proceeded to destroy him from that point on by playing him in roles he was less effective and struggling to fulfill. My respect for Bannan actually increased during that period because he was taking one for the team on a regular basis. Like you say, even when struggling he wouldn’t hide.

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Tomorrow on owlstalk,  an in depth look at Scotlands drugs pandemic which had seen drug relayed deaths jump by 129% in 10 years.

To be fair, the drug relay is one of the more dangerous events at the Olympics.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

"Even then he was a kid with no fear. He had been brought up playing on the street and nothing fazed him. You could play him against Barcelona in the Nou Camp or against the Boys Brigade on an ash pitch and you'd get the same performance from him."

I like the romance of this.. and he didn't have the worst game against Germany a few years back (playing right mid as i remember), but he's also had some pretty stinking games for Scotland in among his 27 caps. There would probably be complaints from quite a few quarters if he were to be called up at this point, which is a shame, because he's very consistent and making a big difference at club level.

If he could just learn to pass it into the net instead of trying to hit it as hard as he can, i think that'd help him a lot! Goals endear people to you pretty fast and makes them forget previous transgressions.

22 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

JIMMY LINDSAY watched Scotland star Barry Bannan steal the show as a nine-year-old ball boy at Albion Rovers.

Lindsay believes Bannan to be the last native talent to come from the street.

He said: "He was a ball boy, and he always kept a ball up at the side of the dugout and the punters at Cliftonhill were more concerned with looking at him than what was happening on the pitch.

"At half-time in one game I went into the boardroom and our chairman Davie Shanks asked me, 'who's the player?' I thought he meant the trialist and told Davie it was just someone the manager had brought in.

"But he said, 'no, I was meaning the wee blond guy next to the dugout - he's the best player out there'.

"We were playing Montrose and the ball fell behind the dugout and Barry fetched it by flicking it and keeping it up as the big Montrose player ran towards him but Barry just flicked it over the lad's head and the crowd went wild.

"Even then he was a kid with no fear. He had been brought up playing on the street and nothing fazed him. You could play him against Barcelona in the Nou Camp or against the Boys Brigade on an ash pitch and you'd get the same performance from him."

A couple of years ago I had a chat with a guy I know who works for one of the big life insurers in Scotland. When I mentioned that I was a Wednesday fan he immediately asked my opinion of Bannan. It turns out they both played together for Scotland U19s. I asked him how good Bannan was in those days and he mentioned that He was a different class and that nobody could take the ball off him.  His only surprise was that Bannan hadn’t made an even bigger impact as a pro. 

Have to say I really like Bannan as a player. He’s constantly looking to make us tick and I love the way he retains possession.