Starting XI

Very difficult to name a team and system as we are still a bit unbalanced.

With the 3-4-3, Id go with;

Westwood

Lees

Hutch

Pudil

Hunt

Lee

Bannan

Reach

Joao

Hooper

FF

Still powder puff in the middle of the park - great footballers but lightweight. 

The key to making this current formation work is the quality of the two wing backs and the holding midfielder. We will score a hell of a lot of goals next season with a front 2 and FF and Bannan playing in behind

What i would like to see us try is this...

Westwood

Vanacio - Lees - V Aken

Hunt                                                Reach

Lee - Bannan

Matias                                 Fessi

Hooper/Nuihu

With Matias and Fessi being used as wider forwards  but also able to provide width and cover defensively out wide when needed. We were far too open down the flanks last year due to us playing 3 men centrally in the midfield. When one our midfielders then did chase down the opposition into these wide areas, we just left massive holes in the middle instead. 

Edited by OwlinOldham

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

surprised anyone is  picking van aken........from what ive seen hutch, pudil & thorniley have far less mistakes in them .what do people see in him that they think he's the one for a spot ?

Has to be his ability on the ball one would assume. Maybe his Bannan style Hollywood balls. :ph34r:

However Pudil just as capable at coming out of defence with the ball in my opinion and more steady at the back.

That said there is definite potential there so let's let Jos work with him for a bit see what he can get out of him. Turned Nuhiu into one of the best strikers in the divison on current form. so you never know.

Edited by pazowl55

If we bought nobody and everyone was fit:-

Westwood - best we have. Easy.

Hutch Lees Pudil - Hutch is better than Fred and Pudil is better than JVA from all current evidence. 

Hunt Lee Bannan Reach - Lee and Bannan are our best central pairing by a country mile. The choice of wing-backs is easy.

Joao Nuhiu FF - Here I’m leaving my favourite Hooper on the bench. I expect Hooper to force his way in and keep his place as the season develops, but only a fool would split up the Joao-Nuhiu-FF starting trio based on their late season success. 

Very strong side. An investment here and there and I would be very confident. A stronger CB especially would be ideal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Hutch Lees Pudil - Hutch is better than Fred and Pudil is better than JVA from all current evidence. 

Hunt Lee Bannan Reach - Lee and Bannan are our best central pairing by a country mile. The choice of wing-backs is easy.

Joao Nuhiu FF - Here I’m leaving my favourite Hooper on the bench. I expect Hooper to force his way in and keep his place as the season develops, but only a fool would split up the Joao-Nuhiu-FF starting trio based on their late season success. 

Very strong side. An investment here and there and I would be very confident. A stronger CB especially would be ideal. 

i often wonder if we are twins that got  separated at birth ……..I've even started quoting bloody stats lately lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Based on what we’ve got in the building now. 

Westwood 

Hutchinson   Lees    Pudil  

Hunt            Lee           Bannan    Reach

Forestieri 

Hooper        Joao 

Maybe Van aken for Pudil 

and maybe Pelupessy for Lee 

depending on how they improve over the summer getting more used to English football etc. 

Nuhiu and Hooper to battle for partnering Joao

Agree with this, although Nuhiu did very well I think some may forget how good Hooper is when fully fit 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
35 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Agree with this, although Nuhiu did very well I think some may forget how good Hooper is when fully fit 

Hooper is good but Nuhiu is a must start for me. Skilful, strong, improved aerially, good fitness record and now scoring goals. Also brings out the best in Joao. Those two along with FF have proved to be our best attacking lineup for ages.

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

surprised anyone is  picking van aken........from what ive seen hutch, pudil & thorniley have far less mistakes in them .what do people see in him that they think he's the one for a spot ?

Its fashionable to be able to ping the ball 40 yards. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why not Hutch and Fred

21 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We still need one regardless of if reach plays there or not imo.

Then the question would be if reach is at wing back who plays in the middle?

Bannan & Joey 

On 22/05/2018 at 09:29, 1867Heaven said:

Dawson

Fred.            Lees.               Pudil

lee                                                            Reach

Pelupessy.   Bannan

Hooper.                                 Foresteri

Dave

This would be my preferred starting XI if the season started tomorrow and all players were fit. Perhaps a controversial opinion (I've yet to read the whole thread and the general responses to this team), but I genuinely would expect the above team to be flirting with the playoffs, providing that team could start 35ish games in a season. Yes you could argue that it perhaps lacks a couple of "stars", with only about 4 of those with a reputation as top-end Championship players, but what it does offer is a lot of energy in a balanced and complementary setup... something that in the last couple of years has been shown to be more important in this league than anything else. 3CB's + energy = difficult to beat, and players with the forward propensity and workrate of Lee and Reach would mean a strong second phase of attack. 

IMO this all but proves we've already got a squad that could finish around the end of the table we want to finish in this particular setup... so any recruitment this summer should be aimed towards fielding an equally good side in a 4-2-3-1 shape (or whatever, I'm saying this as it's what Jos traditionally plays) than those players, along with others in the existing setup. Then they can plug the gaps in a 5-3-2. If we can add 2/3 players that help with the above, and can shift 3/4 of those currently contracted on... I think we'll have had a ruddy good summer

Dawson

Lees   Venancio   Van Aken

Hunt   Lee   Pelupessy   Bannan   Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Just because I think Westwood will go and we will re-sign Venancio. Other positions ‘may’ be updated during the Summer.

Given the chance in a back three I think Van Aken will flourish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Why not Hutch and Fred

Because I think Pudil did better than Fred, and he is left footed.

I think Fred is the 4th best CB we have...

Lees

Hutch

Pudil

Fred

JVA

Happy with any of the first 4. Bit worried JVA is not very good, but still early days 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Because I think Pudil did better than Fred, and he is left footed.

I think Fred is the 4th best CB we have...

Lees

Hutch

Pudil

Fred

JVA

Happy with any of the first 4. Bit worried JVA is not very good, but still early days 

I hope he can come good him and Fred same age 24 so plenty of time in front of em and both good on Ball. Was hoping JVA could play a little bit more with Loovens to gain that experience just like Lees did. But not to be, One thing JVA has that non of our other CBs have is height. he's about 6 foot 4