The future of Joao

14 minutes ago, dnhc said:

every fan in the land wants their team to score plenty and win, BUT management has to have a professional (using your head) approach, so it's a tad likely that you'll not see us winning 5-4, but WILL see more 1-0's.

we'd all like to score 5 and win every week, so would jos, but he'll temper that with 'proper football knowledge' that says scoring a hatfull and winning all the time just isn't going to happen.

You may have misunderstood what I was trying to say, I basically meant I hope he sets us up to play as he did at the end of the season. Norwich, Preston and reading all had plenty of chances to score goals against us. But instead of us settling for 1-0, or , 2-1 victories Jos let the players keep going for goals and not making them sit back and defend.  The Norwich game could easily have ended 5-4 was my point.

BUT, you could be right that he scraps that approach and makes us more defensive minded when we are a team trying to go for promotion. And I feel that would be a shame when we saw at the end of the season that when we go for goals, we had the ability to outscore most teams we played.

and my own philosophy on football is you should have a team that can outscore your opponent, not outdefend them. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

10 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

You may have misunderstood what I was trying to say, I basically meant I hope he sets us up to play as he did at the end of the season. Norwich, Preston and reading all had plenty of chances to score goals against us. But instead of us settling for 1-0, or , 2-1 victories Jos let the players keep going for goals and not making them sit back and defend.  The Norwich game could easily have ended 5-4 was my point.

BUT, you could be right that he scraps that approach and makes us more defensive minded when we are a team trying to go for promotion. And I feel that would be a shame when we saw at the end of the season that when we go for goals, we had the ability to outscore most teams we played.

and my own philosophy on football is you should have a team that can outscore your opponent, not outdefend them. 

I agree with you, it was one of Carlos’ faults that we had 7 decent strikers yet weren’t a team that scored lots of goals. This became our final nail in the coffin when we could only score once in two playoff games against Huddersfield. 

I also hope Jos keeps the same attacking approach as you say, especially at home, we need to have a stronger centre back to help keep the opposition chances down to a minimum as much as possible

Edited by Owls-Fan

11 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

i fully imagine each and every game once judged upon the opposition merits will have their own set up, so whilst toytown level sides must be respected as fellow championship clubs but set up against in a more aggressive manner, villa away 0-1 will do quite nicely even if they're knocking on our door most of the shift.

18 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

i very much doubt i misunderstood anything about championing keegan's management techniques, and i want us to not only outscore the opposition, but outdefend them too, i think jos and most professional managers will be nearer my point, however keegan wasn't, and that's why he's managing where he is today.

5 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i very much doubt i misunderstood anything about championing keegan's management techniques, and i want us to not only outscore the opposition, but outdefend them too, i think jos and most professional managers will be nearer my point, however keegan wasn't, and that's why he's managing where he is today.

Fair enough its all about opinions isn’t it, I would also say Klopp is in the same mould as Keegans old style of management, a team that is more focused on attacking and creating chances. But I appreciate that defending is also important. During that Keegan promotion season they had a few 0-0 or 1-0 games, but that’s how football goes sometimes. Even the best attacking team in the world can fail to score somedays, but it’s about having a team that is set up to create chances in every game

I would say that another team will come along someday and score 108 goals in a season like Man City did, but i know that’s very unlikely to be us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Fair enough its all about opinions isn’t it, I would also say Klopp is in the same mould as Keegans old style of management, a team that is more focused on attacking and creating chances. But I appreciate that defending is also important. During that Keegan promotion season they had a few 0-0 or 1-0 games, but that’s how football goes sometimes. Even the best attacking team in the world can fail to score somedays, but it’s about having a team that is set up to create chances in every game

I would say that another team will come along someday and score 108 goals in a season like Man City did, but i know that’s very unlikely to be us. 

i think klopp's cat could have more overall knowledge than keegan, he is passionate yes, but has so very much more in his locker.

has anyone looked back at our actual scoring records over our successful periods to see if bfr outscored wilko, or francis or big jack did in what was his division 2 {and now the championship} years?