The future of Joao

If he plays 35/40 odd games in a central position not season, under this manager,  there's no reason why he can't get 20 goals. 

Probably less in a wider role. But suspect he'd still get 10/15 if used wide.

Runs at players. A rare weapon in our armoury these last 18 months.

• Like 1

Fighting against the tide looking at previous comments but imo Joao will never get 20 in the Championship. His best return in a season was 12 in the Portuguese 3rd division, he is a 1 in 4 striker throughout his career and less than 1 in 5 in the Championship. He is no longer a 'young prospect' at 24 and although he has the odd moment he is far too inconsistent despite his pace. I would love him to prove me wrong under Jos but just can't see it happening....

If we can recoup our outlay plus a bit of profit then we should do it.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Fighting against the tide looking at previous comments but imo Joao will never get 20 in the Championship. His best return in a season was 12 in the Portuguese 3rd division, he is a 1 in 4 striker throughout his career and less than 1 in 5 in the Championship. He is no longer a 'young prospect' at 24 and although he has the odd moment he is far too inconsistent despite his pace. I would love him to prove me wrong under Jos but just can't see it happening....

Maybe, as you say, history suggests he isn’t a prolific goal scorer He can though, get you a goal out of nothing and his other assets add to the teams attacking capabilities A more prolific scorer, perhaps someone like Rhodes, or Rhodes of old, because they have limited ability, add little to the team 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Maybe, as you say, history suggests he isn’t a prolific goal scorer He can though, get you a goal out of nothing and his other assets add to the teams attacking capabilities A more prolific scorer, perhaps someone like Rhodes, or Rhodes of old, because they have limited ability, add little to the team 

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

always thought he was a bit rubbish but since he got back into the team he's certainly won me over ......how he gets into the side next season if hooper is fit I don't know but it's a good problem for jos to have .

I think you could always see he had a lot of potential, but some players have potential that they never realise. Hopefully playing regularly under the right coach can show him to be the player he has the potential to be.

Has to be aiming for 16+ goals next season and we need to extend his contract rather than seeing him go on a free at some point.

Joao’s game isn’t just about goals he brings more to the side then that, as people have said it’s his unpredictability that gets defenders on the back foot and his pace behind creates space for other players. he might not score 20 goals next season but he’ll certianly help hooper get close to that if he stays fit 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, torryowl said:

the problem with leaving it til January is that if he does perform well then he'll know he'll be in demand and can walk away for free and pocket himself and his agent a huge signing on fee....players in the last few months of there contracts don't usually go for large sums as Barnsley found out with winall & hourihane  ......for me the good players who's contracts expire next year should be offered extensions now ......of course he may revert to being crap if we do offer him  new deal now but that's the gamble you take . 

You are probably right.

I think from what I saw at the end of the season he had toughened up a bit and he does score goals of he can carry that into next season they will be singing his name next season.

to be honest I have never been a big admirer because he was shy of getting stuck in he appears to have overcome that

Talented lad with a good end to the season, his all round game is far more than goals agreed however does he get into our squad when all are fit? I would argue the shirt is his to lose but it is a brave man who drops Hooper or at present Nuhiu for him when both are fit. The partnership he has with big Adthe is fantastic, but he is far less productive alongside others although a front 3 of Hooper, Joao and Forestieri could work and there is plenty of movement in those 3. Jos however appears to like a big physical presence up there which if he was able to hold the ball up and bring others into play as effectively as a Nuhiu or Fletcher he would be a shoe in to start for me.  

Would I be sad to see him leave, yes actually as it would sum up the CC era at Wednesday Unfulfilled potential and at this moment in this is still what it is as IMO a decent second half of the season does not excuse 2 seasons of relatively very little . He needs games to get himself up to speed and he was guaranteed that under Jos in the second half of last season when all injured players are fit again he is not, the shirt is his to lose however if he doesn't start like a house on fire he will not be afforded the same luxury of playing his way into form as he was this year. Would do wonders at someone like Bolton where he is the main man and plays week in week out alongside a Le Fondre type.  Will be an interesting summer in his case.  

6 hours ago, handworth52 said:

joao will be a regular starter next season with nuhiu and forestieri so needs a longer deal ,also will score a lot more than 9 now that he has a manager who plays him. fletcher,hooper will play very little if they don't leave this summer due to there injury records .

I think these 3 will start the season as they finished the season on great form. They seem to compliment each other nicely each having different attributes.

Having said that I think we will see a big improvement from Fletcher under Jos.

Hooper suited Carlos,s style and was by far our best forward in his system. Not sure he will have the same impact under Jos.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Out of interest, if people are acknowledging the fact he isn't a goal scorer but 'adds to the team in other areas', what areas are these as a forward? Assists? Hold up play? Winning headers? Passes? Crosses? tackling back?

Joao was brought in as one for the future his spell at Blackburn did him good and he came back looking like he had something to prove ,

Would be criminal not to tie him down with a two year contract now and instead of knocking out the flair and unpredictable game he showed at the beginning and told to stick to basics he could flourish under Jos .....

14 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I think these 3 will start the season as they finished the season on great form. They seem to compliment each other nicely each having different attributes.

Having said that I think we will see a big improvement from Fletcher under Jos.

Hooper suited Carlos,s style and was by far our best forward in his system. Not sure he will have the same impact under Jos.

I agree I would start the season with the 3 that ended it. There’s a nice blend with those 3 all really different players that I think works well. For me it’s Hooper or Nuhiu with the other 2. Playing Nuhiu and Hooper together leaves us lacking pace and mobility.

15 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

Against the popular vote here but.....Id cash in on him if we could. Probably the most saleable asset we have right now outside of Fessi, Bannan, Lees, Hooper and Westwood. 

If he could be sold for say 7 or 8 mill (not unreasonable in current market) his sale would massively ease FFP worries whilst not making us sell the crown jewels as it were. Like the lad and think hes decent enough, but hes one of many good forwards we have. He wont be missed anywhere near as much as  any one of the other players ive named above.

He's our only forward with any real pace. His return to scoring form coincided with new coaches arriving at the club and circumstances dictating he had more game time. For me he should start along with Atdhe.

Defenders struggled greatly at the latter end of the season with that combination of skill, height, strength and pace and goals flowed. A new contract should be in order for joao.

Any two from Rhodes, Matias, Winnall and Fletcher would not really be missed and would still leave a good strike force.

44 minutes ago, Blatter said:

He's our only forward with any real pace. His return to scoring form coincided with new coaches arriving at the club and circumstances dictating he had more game time. For me he should start along with Atdhe.

Defenders struggled greatly at the latter end of the season with that combination of skill, height, strength and pace and goals flowed. A new contract should be in order for joao.

Any two from Rhodes, Matias, Winnall and Fletcher would not really be missed and would still leave a good strike force.

Gotta feeling Jos is going long ball lots with Atty supplied by Reach.

Like at Blackburn, that may even bring out best in Rhodes (can't get shut anyway). 

6 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

But up until 3 months ago Nuihu was a 1 in 8 striker and this last few months he has been 1 in 2 striker when given a run in the team, no reason why Joao cannot also improve his stats.

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But up until 3 months ago Nuihu was a 1 in 8 striker and this last few months he has been 1 in 2 striker when given a run in the team, no reason why Joao cannot also improve his stats.

I'd wager that Atdhe won't score 20 in the Championship either...however, he does offer more to the team than goals, Joao however, adds very little.

16 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

I'd wager that Atdhe won't score 20 in the Championship either...however, he does offer more to the team than goals, Joao however, adds very little.

At 24 he is the future of our club, I would be extending his contract as in 18 months or so if still with us we will be getting a lot of money if we choose to sell him.