The future of Joao

For me, he is the only strikers we have, who has genuine pace, and is willing to run at defenders. The latter part of the season, I personally think he came of age. Yes, there are still times when his decision making is a bit suspect, but look at the goal against Forest away. Who else in our side, FF aside, do you think would have had the pace to get away from the defenders and score.

A decent, prolonged spell in the side did wonders for him. Playing regularly, increased his match fitness and awareness, and he provided the perfect foil for Big Dave. I hope Jos recognises his attributes, and the club recognise that he does possess a great deal of talent and ability, which the manager and coaching staff need to coax and encourage. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

He will be vital to us next season.  See how he starts the season.  If we’ll, offer a good deal in January.  If not, sell to the highest bidder.  Can’t afford to lose him for free.

8 hours ago, Neal M said:

Isn’t he a Doyen player?

My feeling is we won’t have much say in what happens to him.

It seems everybody's doyen this and everybody's doyen that at the moment.. Its a wonder anybody knows what they are doyen at all. 

I just hope things get sorted out before the start of the season so that we all finally know what we're actually doing! 

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

He will be vital to us next season.  See how he starts the season.  If we’ll, offer a good deal in January.  If not, sell to the highest bidder.  Can’t afford to lose him for free.

the problem with leaving it til January is that if he does perform well then he'll know he'll be in demand and can walk away for free and pocket himself and his agent a huge signing on fee....players in the last few months of there contracts don't usually go for large sums as Barnsley found out with winall & hourihane  ......for me the good players who's contracts expire next year should be offered extensions now ......of course he may revert to being crap if we do offer him  new deal now but that's the gamble you take . 

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the problem with leaving it til January is that if he does perform well then he'll know he'll be in demand and can walk away for free and pocket himself and his agent a huge signing on fee....players in the last few months of there contracts don't usually go for large sums as Barnsley found out with winall & hourihane  ......for me the good players who's contracts expire next year should be offered extensions now ......of course he may revert to being crap if we do offer him  new deal now but that's the gamble you take . 

I agree. A young player like João, whose value could soar if he hits a purple patch (£6m for Gary Madine, anyone?), would be a massive loss to our club if he walked away on a free transfer.

He's shown the potential to be a real threat at this level, looked to be finding good form under Luhukay, and I hope the club will be tying him down to a new contract over the summer.

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

It's common sense isn't it ?

Wednesday will do that won't they ?

That's what the C.E.O will do ?

You would like to think so ......

12 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

It's common sense isn't it ?

Wednesday will do that won't they ?

That's what the C.E.O will do ?

You would like to think so ......

You'd like to think so. We should and hopefully will be in the driving seat from now on. That doesn't mean you always get what you want it just means you drive the agenda. We'll have a better handle on the KM/DC partnership and what she brings to the table after the next couple of windows. Fingers crossed she operates like a "woman scorned...." lol Classic good cop/bad cop partnership!!! 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 2

joao will be a regular starter next season with nuhiu and forestieri so needs a longer deal ,also will score a lot more than 9 now that he has a manager who plays him. fletcher,hooper will play very little if they don't leave this summer due to there injury records .

8 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

He needs to step up to the plate next season ,as his contract runs out next summer. 

See what you did there. I didn't think he seemed the same player after he had his tooth knocked out. Seems Jos has rebuilt his confidence hope he repays him next season.

Really should be offered a new deal now. Can’t afford to let an asset like him go on a free. If not unfortunately cash in on him.

Always banged on about his obvious talent, it was just lacking any kind of consistency. 

Age still on his side. He could end up going for daft money.

He offers a different dimension and if you combine that with Nuhiu and Fessi, it is asks alot of Championship defenses to keep them all contained. 

He is also improving. I hope we don't just run his contract down. 

All the credentials are there, it’s only a matter of time before he hits 20+goals 

Let’s hope we sign him down long term. But this is Wednesday and you know what’ll happen. Stormer of a season next year followed by months of contract negotiations = Joao leaving on a free 

HE like quite a few others that are in last year need to be offered new contracts or moved on. We must have 4-5 key players approaching their last year and I’d rather lose 1 or 2 for cash than let any leave free at end of season.