The future of Joao

Scoring only nine goals in a season is clearly not the dream of any striker. Especially for a player who’s not at a top-flight club.

But it’s nice to see stories where the newspaper doesn’t ignore the bad things, and the interviewee has no problems talking about it. This is the case of Sheffield Wednesday attacker Lucas João today.

Even though Portuguese newspapers normally only praise the local players, they had a frank chat with the 24-year-old this time, with the headline saying ‘I still want and can score much more than nine goals’.

Lucas João has spoken about Portuguese and English football, in an interview which turned out to be a mix of the past season, his future at Sheffield Wednesday, the World Cup and his former clubs in Portugal.

Taking the quotes which will be of Owls’ interest, the player has claimed he still doesn’t know if he’s staying at the club for next season. And he won’t talk about offers anytime soon.

“I scored nine goals, but the second part [of the season] went well, we had 16 players injured at the beginning of the season. I hope that in 2018/19 Sheffield Wednesday will return to the play-offs. I have another year of contract, let’s see if I stay,” Lucas João told A Bola.

“About proposals I know nothing: only that I go on holiday and I suffer for Portugal in the World Cup. Fernando Santos didn’t think of me, but I will always support Portugal, whether in the squad or not. It’s not easy, but hope is the last thing to die. And who has Cristiano Ronaldo, has everything, can always dream.”

• Thanks 1

If we can’t get him to sign a new contract I wonder if we’ll try and get some money for him. Just a thought.

Clearly an ambitious lad but he’s going to have to show much more consistency if he wants to make it to the big time. Hopefully he’ll show it next season.

always thought he was a bit rubbish but since he got back into the team he's certainly won me over ......how he gets into the side next season if hooper is fit I don't know but it's a good problem for jos to have .

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

always thought he was a bit rubbish but since he got back into the team he's certainly won me over ......how he gets into the side next season if hooper is fit I don't know but it's a good problem for jos to have .

Me too. He was good when he first came, he looked to have the potential to be a top players at this level, then it all went pear shaped, he seemed to get above himself and lost his way. The second half of this season he looked dangerous, good close control and a definite eye for goal. I'd given up hope of him ever coming good but he's proved me wrong. If he keeps it up he could be a star next season.

Very different to what we have and for me it’s important to tie him down. He’s got some pace which is unusual for our forwards and he’s also unpredictable and he’s got some nice skills. You can see opposition defenders backing off him as they are not sure what he’s going to do.

i think he will start the season in the team and can make one of those attacking positions his own. If he is Doyen though that concerns me.

Guest Theboylangers

He's our Paolo Wanchope, he will create from nothing, he will frustrate but he will always have that something that can turn a game. 

I spoke to a Blackburn season ticket holder at the weekend. We talked about Joao and Rhodes.

He said Rhodes offered nothing but consistent finishing - thriving off Conway, Marshall and Gestede. He said it was just perfect timing they came together when they did.

He rated Joao way higher. Said he was capable of everything and probably just lacked in decision making at times. He said he would only want Joao to return!

I imagine most Wednesday fans would agree. But Joao needs games in my opinion, won't do him any good to sit on the bench for most of another year.

Was not a fan of his prior to the season just gone, lacked any fight. But this season something seemed to click, like he’d matured. He looks a very good prospect now, at least when he has space to run with the ball. I think he could still improve in certain ways as some games he doesn’t fancy it and doesn’t get across his man/waits for a ball to find him/hides behind the defender (Boro away a case in point). Would be good to offer him an extension though based on what he has shown recently 

Against the popular vote here but.....Id cash in on him if we could. Probably the most saleable asset we have right now outside of Fessi, Bannan, Lees, Hooper and Westwood. 

If he could be sold for say 7 or 8 mill (not unreasonable in current market) his sale would massively ease FFP worries whilst not making us sell the crown jewels as it were. Like the lad and think hes decent enough, but hes one of many good forwards we have. He wont be missed anywhere near as much as  any one of the other players ive named above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1