Top 6 The Maximum Expectation or the Minimum

I think next season should be considered as a rebuilding and consolidation season with FFP being a major factor. I will be reasonably happy to finish mid table with anything better being a bonus.

• Like 1

Expect top half, anywhere near play offs would be great, in play-offs magnificent. I think with Wednesday we fear the teams coming down, give them far too much respect. If we can avoid those 3 for the first 7/8 games and realise they're all fairly poor and we can beat them, we'll do well.

Far too much respect for Sunderland last season and went a goal down after a few minutes, thought we'd get a hammering only to find after half an hour that they were shockingly poor. 

Guest Manwithastick
19 hours ago, folger said:

No expectations were in unchartered waters next season.

:unsure:

uncharted.

We really should be aiming high. Put a string of results together and get momentum and bang average sides can challenge near to top. Obvious to say but it’s all about consistency.

Again last season showed that anyone can beat anyone. There isn’t a huge gap in terms in quality between the best and worst sides.

I think West Brom & Stoke will be strong next season, but both with lose players from an again squad. Swansea bang average and will also lose their better players. Only problem is they have parachute payments, depends how wisely they spend it.

Boro will be strong and boring under Pulis. Loser of the playoff final I expect to challenge for autos. Derby will do their usual and be there or there abouts. 

I really don’t think there’s much to fear. Playoffs should be minimum aim! 

As for expectations, anything less than top 10 I would view as very poor if we have the majority of players fit most the season. 

As a fan base we have often settled and seemed content with mediocrity.

Sensible brain says I would take a season of rebuilding, providing we do bring in youth player's in a meaningful way and play some decent football. I think Jos has plans and I'm excited for us, the end of this season  showed some real green shoots, but there is still a way to go for us I fear.

In my heart though, we've got to go up! 

As always it's a case of ifs and buts.

If we can get them fit and keep them fit and offload 3 or 4 who don't bring much value, then bring in 2 or 3 solid if unspectacular signings, I see no reason why we can't challenge for top six, maybe even top two. 

I trust the new manager and the chairman, it went wrong season just gone but really look forward to what the next one brings. We have some damn good players, Bannan the most important to keep a hold of if we are to fight for promotion.

Too early to say for sure yet. Depends on a few ins and outs.

I like how we finished the season so on that basis I’d say top 6 should be the aim. Everybody aims for too 2 at the start of the season but realistically there should be an aim to hit the playoffs with our squad. Not every team that comes down from the PL will be firing straight away so we need to start fast.

£20 a game stay in league, £28 a game top half, £35 a game top 6, our prices - fighting for promotion.

With increased costs to fans comes expectation - no more wasting of the money, no more excuses with shirt, team performance, injuries, preseason etc.

Next season i expect to be challenging for promotion.

Given how we finished the season, top6 minimum.

This season has been bizarre. An anomaly.

Next season we'll be back to form and pushing for promotion once again.

Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham leaving the league is better than Swansea, Stoke and West Brom coming down. So imo the league will be weaker next season.

Swansea's first team is going to be absolutely gutted.

Stoke's squad is already a disaster.
West Brom will probably be decent. Moore seems a good manager and most of the squad will stay, forwards aside.

So we lose 3 good teams and gain 1.

Us, Villa, West Brom and Boro for the top 4.

Should be fun.

20 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Disagree mate. Everyone was available though.

You are right. But this squad is as stale as Greggs' 3 day -old crusts.

Nor is it balanced for a top 6 finish. Lacks pace, power and heading presence at back.  

On 20/05/2018 at 15:27, Quist said:

Needto see who arrives and who leaves before making any comments.

Surley we should be making signings to make us finish top 6 rather than signing players and hope they improve us!

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

Given how we finished the season, top6 minimum.

This season has been bizarre. An anomaly.

Next season we'll be back to form and pushing for promotion once again.

Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham leaving the league is better than Swansea, Stoke and West Brom coming down. So imo the league will be weaker next season.

Swansea's first team is going to be absolutely gutted.

Stoke's squad is already a disaster.
West Brom will probably be decent. Moore seems a good manager and most of the squad will stay, forwards aside.

So we lose 3 good teams and gain 1.

Us, Villa, West Brom and Boro for the top 4.

Should be fun.

This, although I'm not convinced about West Brom being a threat as they've got serious financial problems.

I think both Stoke and Swansea will struggle (particularly the latter if they appoint De Boer, which looks like a flawed appointment to me) and are more likely to flirt with relegation than promotion.

I'm reasonably to confident about our chances of certainly being in the top 6. I think of the teams that just missed, preston will be there or there abouts, Brentford possibly as well. I think those from S2 will finish below halfway, even if Tufty stays....they need a completely new forward line as Sharp is past it and Clarke is reverting to the player that we know he really is and their squad is paper thin as evidenced when Coutts-Iniesta got injured (#onemanteam lol). Derby will be in the mix as I rate Rowett as a manager, Birmingham as a possible dark horse.

Edited by Bramhall Owl

Worrying that a fair few believe minimum expectation is top 6. There were a number of teams far better than us this season and the 3 relegated teams will all be stronger so it will be tough. So no doubt lots of moans and groans when we're not top at Xmas.

I hope we challenge for top 6 but a lot will depend on recruitment. However my expectations are we'll be about 10th (hopefully we'll above our put my neighbours)