25 years ago tonight !

End of a bizarre week. Saturday's final was great then the realisation that we had a reply really took the gloss off the day. Took a day's holiday at work at short notice to queue for the reply tickets on the Monday, although we didn't sell out partly due to extra allocation.

The day of the Thursday game was crap - all my mates had made their own way there due to their various commitments and we ended up meeting up in the ground - no beers, no singing, no excitement. The game was half hour delayed due to thousands of Wednesdayites stuck on the M1 - what in rush hour traffic? The media seemed to think this was poor as all the Arsenal fans were in the ground by 730 pm, and they had had five tube stops to contest with!

The game repeated the tactical and attritional style of the first game, and extra time and penalties was probably the outome everyone was expecting, but then stepped up Woods with his collapsing legs act.

Fans were great - outsung the posh cockneys all second half.

Remember the journey home - managed to cag a lift and we set off from London about 1130 pm - total science all way home. The realisation that a great season had ended in achieving nothing.

I alway regret us not playing Tottenham in that final instead - would have been a far better game.

59 minutes ago, Animis said:

Remember the journey home - managed to cag a lift and we set off from London about 1130 pm - total science all way home. The realisation that a great season had ended in achieving nothing.

I alway regret us not playing Tottenham in that final instead - would have been a far better game.

Did you cadge a lift off Sheldon Cooper :duntmatter:  least he could have told you the dynamics of the lesser seen foldy leg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Headers and late goals seemed to bite us that season for some reason. Even despite chucking away the Finals that season, I still can't believe our luck in not being able to win at least one of them. It was one of the most exciting seasons of football I can remember in my living memory. The football we played that season at times was thrilling to watch. Along with the two previous seasons and the following season we were spoilt around time. I know we could have achieved more but I look back on it and genuinely think we were lucky to have had quality players with genuine pedigree like Waddle and Nilsson for instance and real classy exciting players. We were unfortunate with injuries back then and squads were smaller but what a time to be a Wednesday fan that was. It still hurts mind but that was a brilliant team to watch.

Gutted was an overstatement. It was my first trip to wembley.

Took my dad to his first football match aged 56 

Got there right early because i wasn't coming down the M1 and dead excited and then the ultimate failure of losing at the last minute.

there was total science between me and dad on the way home, think he tried talking but at that point understood the roller coaster of football in one game.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

End of a bizarre week. Saturday's final was great then the realisation that we had a reply really took the gloss off the day. Took a day's holiday at work at short notice to queue for the reply tickets on the Monday, although we didn't sell out partly due to extra allocation.

The day of the Thursday game was crap - all my mates had made their own way there due to their various commitments and we ended up meeting up in the ground - no beers, no singing, no excitement. The game was half hour delayed due to thousands of Wednesdayites stuck on the M1 - what in rush hour traffic? The media seemed to think this was poor as all the Arsenal fans were in the ground by 730 pm, and they had had five tube stops to contest with!

The game repeated the tactical and attritional style of the first game, and extra time and penalties was probably the outome everyone was expecting, but then stepped up Woods with his collapsing legs act.

Fans were great - outsung the posh cockneys all second half.

1 hour ago, cross owl said:

Did you cadge a lift off Sheldon Cooper :duntmatter:  least he could have told you the dynamics of the lesser seen foldy leg 

It was total maths for me, agonising over the potential cost of Woods blunder. :picnic:

Remember some years ago a programme on SKY. 

Graham and Francis were talking about it.

Francis said Arsenal didn't really allow us to get Waddle in the games

Graham view was totally different, he opined that he set his team up to stop John Sheridan being able to get the ball to get the ball going.  

King, Pearson and Shirtliff were huge misses for us. 

13 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Don't think we have recovered from it that moment was the start of the decline which you could argue are still in 

Inclined to agree. 

If only they'd not swapped the white sock tops for black.

What might have been.

66.png.85a75ac2d26cef50d98b183cc11766ab.png

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remember some years ago a programme on SKY. 

Graham and Francis were talking about it.

Francis said Arsenal didn't really allow us to get Waddle in the games

Graham view was totally different, he opined that he set his team up to stop John Sheridan being able to get the ball to get the ball going.  

King, Pearson and Shirtliff were huge misses for us. 

That would make sense. Whenever I look back at the highlights of that time, Sheridan linked up really well with Waddle but was often the one that got us ticking. Especially in the Cup runs, Sheridan's link up play with Waddle, really got us going and created the space for the likes of Warhurst to run into. Some of the goals in our Cup runs perfectly highlighted that especially Warhurst's beauty against Derby and the Semi Finals in both Cups. 

And yeah the defensive losses were key too, it was a long hard season, which eventually caught up to us and back in those days squads weren't as big as now. But regardless of all that it was a thrilling team to watch and a great time to be a fan.

18 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Don't think we have recovered from it that moment was the start of the decline which you could argue are still in 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

And yeah the defensive losses were key too, it was a long hard season, which eventually caught up to us and back in those days squads weren't as big as now. But regardless of all that it was a thrilling team to watch and a great time to be a fan.

I'm trying to think of any other occasions since then ( in any area of my life) when I have cried. 

And I can't.  

It wasn't just the nothing to show for the season hurt.

It was more. I think it was because I knew that the seed of something special planted by Ron was never going to flower. That it was over. Not just that season. But the chance.  The game was changing and we had leapt from the quayside and just missed the boat , our hands grasping as we hit the side and plunged into the water. 

We splashed about for a while. Before sinking to the murky depths.

6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Woods letting that header slip through his fingers will haunt me for the rest of my life.

And Bright hitting the post from 8 yards at 1-1 when Arsenal were visibly rattled. That was THE moment for me to witness the Owls lift the cup in my lifetime.

6 hours ago, cross owl said:

lolFFS

Full recital of the periodic table until Trowell Services.

• Haha 1

The Saturday game was my first ever game, it was absolutely amazing.  Then the replay we couldn't go.  I watched it up until full time and then my dad (not a football fan at the time) made me go to bed as I had school the next day.  I remember sitting at the top of the stairs listening as hard as I could, only to hear what I dreaded the most.  I went to bed and cried myself to sleep.  Some 20 years later my dad apologised for not letting me stop up and listen (I was only 7 like).  He's a huge Wednesday fan now too and I think he's since realised what it all means.  As a 7 year old I was captivated on that Saturday at Wembley.  It was love at first site.  

• Like 2

Just not bothered...