Westwood Going

10 hours ago, HubristicClapper said:

In all honesty if Westwood goes, I can see it being on a free.

It's a gamble for any side to take him on.   We would be happy with the wage off the books, and no team would want to spunk a load of cash on both wages and transfer fee on a gamble.

Unless he is offered a three year contract somewhere else on at least £15-20k a week, which lets face it, at 34 next with a poor injury record last season, is unlikely. I'd presume he'll see out his £25k a week contract at SWFC and keep his powder dry until next summer.

I would be very surprised if we could get anything substantial for Westwood to make it worthwhile selling him. Surely if we are on the mire as much as people believe it will be someone worth far more that is sacrificed to avoid aFFP penalty. After a season injured I doubt we would get more than £1m for him and to me that makes no sense. I don't buy season tickets to see the team weakened and losing our best keeper is just that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Off to Rangers. Part of the Gerrard revolution.

imo.

If he has any sense he will go to Celtic.

Play Euro Football, win the league and a cup, several times, and retire with some thing to show for a good career.

And here is another thought to chuck into the mix........

Jos is aware he has an international class keeper on his books, that he has not yet had chance to assess properly, and without the benefit of that assessment, is happy to say to Westwood “I am letting you go son, even though I haven’t seen enough of you to form a view on your abilities”?

Unless he’s been told by Mr C that Westwood is going and that is it? However, Jos isn’t a yes man we’re told. Also quoted earlier on, after joining Wednesday, that he needed to wait until all his players were fit to make a judgement on our squad, and that all would be given a chance under his management. He’s been fair with every other player so far.

I know it’s sometimes hard, but engaging brains is a useful trait to have.

Unless Westwood has requested to leave of course. We’d only know that though if he has told someone’s Mum’s, working colleague’s cousin, who bumped into Westwood in Tescos

• Like 2

If hes on decent money here I honestly cant see another side coming in with a big offer, hes not young anymore and has a shakey injury record, would it be just a case of getting him of the wage bill? 

On a positive note we do have two very promising young goal keepers so its not all bad.

Its Fernando we should be worried about going imo.

I don't think there's much between the three keepers - Westwood has experience and games under his belt, but also has a recent injury record which may influence the club's decision. 

I think one of the three will leave; either permanently or on a season loan. If we need to trim the wage bill and fetch in a £1m or so, Westwood is likely to be the favourite. His thoughts will be important as he'll want to get at least what's he's on here, or the deal must give him a three/four year deal which he could demand if he saw his contract out till June 19.

10 hours ago, wilyfox said:

We've produced sod all young talent in recent years. Palmer has been the best of our youth team dross. Now we're lucky enough to have two really promising young keepers, and people are looking for a negative? I don't understand it.

There is always a right time to sell a player. This is Westwood's time, in my opinion. Wildsmith and Dawson look ready to step up. 

Not being negative, it’s a great position to be in. Just can’t imagine one of the young lads being behind the other in the pecking order will 1. keep said player happy and 2. best financially for the club when the ‘keeper in the no.2 position could be sold for decent money.

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Or in line with your 3rd option bring another junior into the picture.

Would be a bold move asking a set of inexperienced goalkeepers to produce for a promotion challenging team, but guess Wildsmith and Dawson have delivered so far when called upon. Just think being the no.1 comes with more pressure than filling in for injuries/cup games.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, just visiting said:

Unless he is offered a three year contract somewhere else on at least £15-20k a week, which lets face it, at 34 next with a poor injury record last season, is unlikely. I'd presume he'll see out his £25k a week contract at SWFC and keep his powder dry until next summer.

Win win for us really. Best GK in the league stays with us for another season or he goes elsewhere and saves us a good wage knowing we have 2 excellent young GK’s to choose from.

10 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I remember in the early nineties when we had two of the best young centre halves in the country in our reserves

They couldn't break into the side because our two regular centre halves were excellent, even though age was catching up on them

A manager like Jos would have sold the two aging centre halves and kept the youngsters

Our manager at the time was Ron Atkinson, in my opinion the best manager we have had in my 59 years of watching Wednesday, he decided to stick with experience, the two young centre halves left and joined Leeds

Leeds were champions of England the following season with the two young centre halves playing regularly

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Westwood is a brilliant keeper, probably the best in the division when fit

But Wildesmith and Dawson are the future, I hope we don't make the same mistake

And I don't think Jos will

A good, well argued point. I don't agree but your post is very persuasive.

I think the truth is that we are well sorted in the GK department, it's just a matter of whether this year or next year is the right time for the 2 young keepers to take over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Win win for us really. Best GK in the league stays with us for another season or he goes elsewhere and saves us a good wage knowing we have 2 excellent young GK’s to choose from.

Two seasons ago maybe.

I can't see how £25k per week sat on your bench is a win win. Unavoidable due to his contract but hardly a win win for the club.

10 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I remember in the early nineties when we had two of the best young centre halves in the country in our reserves

They couldn't break into the side because our two regular centre halves were excellent, even though age was catching up on them

A manager like Jos would have sold the two aging centre halves and kept the youngsters

Our manager at the time was Ron Atkinson, in my opinion the best manager we have had in my 59 years of watching Wednesday, he decided to stick with experience, the two young centre halves left and joined Leeds

Leeds were champions of England the following season with the two young centre halves playing regularly

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Westwood is a brilliant keeper, probably the best in the division when fit

But Wildesmith and Dawson are the future, I hope we don't make the same mistake

And I don't think Jos will

Think, due to injuries to Fairclough and Whyte, the players you're referring to played about seven times between them.

Wilko saw potential obviously, particularly in Wetherall but they were never going to replace our first choice older centre halves that season.

13 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

My comment that Westwood might go to Rangers was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. That said, and I know nothing of Rangers and their financial situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit (and I stress the "bit") of Souness in Gerrard's appointment, I.e. players crossing the divide (sectarian and border).

That's true yea. I was just taking the wee wee as everyone Gerrard has played with or against seems to be now linked to rangers. 

14 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

Apparently being moved on in the summer and has already said his goodbyes to the playing staff. 

Heard from a friend who has who knows someone in the first team squad.

Before anyone has a pop about it being made up - I’m just sharing what I’ve heard from what has previously been a pretty reliable source, and secondly I don’t benefit from making stuff up!

thoughts if true? 

Hahaha nice try

11 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Teams are built from the back first, then have a solid spine of keeper, domineering central midfielder, and top striker.

Experience at the back is key. Westwood is key.

A fully fit Westwood is worth 10 points over the young lads over a full championship season imho.

The stuff I cannot comment on is Westwood going to be fully fit again or is he going to be struggling with injuries again this year? Do we need to get more high earners off the book due to FFP rules?

if we don’t need to offload and he’s gonna be fit then keep him and let’s push for promotion with him in our team because he’s the best we’ve got. 

• Like 1