Westwood Going

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I held the same view too, but changed thinking one of Wildsmith/Dawson would see staying here as seriously hampering their career. Sure either wouldn’t complain being behind Westwood for another season, but can’t imagine either would be happy being behind the other.

Also, what transfer fee would Westwood bring given his age, recent injury record, and final year of his contract?

The third option is to cash in on Westwood, loan one of the young lads out, keep the other as no.1, and bring in a free senior back up...

Or in line with your 3rd option bring another junior into the picture.

1 hour ago, Ronio said:

Totally understandable if Westwood goes this summer. 

I wouldn't mind it if both Dawson and Wildsmith competed for the number 1 shirt.

If you are talking about alternating them for a season like England did with Clemence and Shilton in the 70's that might not be a bad idea. Keep them both on their toes and gets them both good first team experience which including cup matches would equate to about 25 games each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acquiescefc said:

Liam Palmer as an example.

Great home grown talent but never quite became a great.  Theres no guarantee these two young keepers will be anything but good cover consistently.

I hope they do become greats but hey im not an expert unlike the ITKnowt-ers in this thread.

True, but thankfully the person making the decision is very much ITK. I'll happily leave it to Jos's judgement.

28 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Wildsmith deserves his shot now. 

I think Dawson is the better keeper out of the two of them but I'd still take Westwood over them at this moment in time.

One of Dawson or Wildsmith to go on a season long loan and the other to be back up to the first team and play in cup games.

Dawson and Wildsmith will have there day at this club but today still belongs to Westwood.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
51 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Wildsmith deserves his shot now. 

You mean Dawson.  He is far better than Joe.

8 hours ago, sage owl said:

Butterfields wages were double winalls.

that's correct ,he is 1 of highest earners at derby, but surely there is no way we were paying 35k a week for butterfield while derby were paying the 16-18k a week what winnall is on .I'm sure it was a straight loan swap . its upto the clubs regards wages loan fees etc. 

Don't get why people can't find it remotely possible that this could be true. Shouting back at the OP with comments like "utter bolox" is just that. I for one will be extremely surprised if Westwood is still at S6 in August. He's just had a bad season. He's not played under Jos. He's on a inflated salary. It's the last chance to make some money on him. We have two capable replacements. We need to reshuffle, and have some spare cash to help Jos rebuild. No brainer. 

If you want promotion you don't sell your best players and Westwood when fit is one of those. Unfortunately due to a complete fizz up in the transfer market by Chansiri and Carlos, it looks like we may have to. Wildsmith and Dawson are not the same class as Westwood so we are already weakening our position. Out of the two, Dawson for me looks the better keeper.

Westwood is an important part of the 'spine' and if possible we should do all we can to keep him. I would have made him captain next season tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Don't get why people can't find it remotely possible that this could be true. Shouting back at the OP with comments like "utter bolox" is just that. I for one will be extremely surprised if Westwood is still at S6 in August. He's just had a bad season. He's not played under Jos. He's on a inflated salary. It's the last chance to make some money on him. We have two capable replacements. We need to reshuffle, and have some spare cash to help Jos rebuild. No brainer. 

Absolutely bang on the money, Westwood has been a top top keeper for us, but in our current financial predicament cashing in seems like a certainty.

Edited by swfc1983
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll stick my oar in here. 

I love both our young keepers.

Both have huge potential. 

Both have done well. 

Dawson has looked slightly better all round to me, but that's just little things.

Of Westwood....I'd only say that while I can understand the faith in the kids. Whilst I can understand how we might free up a few bob on the wage bill. And whilst I know he's had some injuries.  I'm from the school that thinks that at some stages of a season you want experience in there. A couple of old heads. And for me the net is often on of those positions. 

There will be thing he'll know in games simply by the situation having happened before.  

Ah. Keegan said it so much more simplified 

kevin-keegan-goalkeepers-arent-born-toda

In the late 60's Leicester City sold the best goalkeeper in the country and replaced him with a relatively unknown teenager.

That didn't turn out too badly did it?

There is often a right time to make difficult decisions about players. We have two very promising and competent young goalkeepers, neither of which will be satisfied with being third choice next season.

Perhaps now is the right time to say thanks for the last few seasons,  goodbye and good luck to Westwood.

5 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

In the late 60's Leicester City sold the best goalkeeper in the country and replaced him with a relatively unknown teenager.

That didn't turn out too badly did it?

There is often a right time to make difficult decisions about players. We have two very promising and competent young goalkeepers, neither of which will be satisfied with being third choice next season.

Perhaps now is the right time to say thanks for the last few seasons,  goodbye and good luck to Westwood.

If Westwood is the better keeper then wouldn't it be better for our promotion hopes to play him, despite whatever age he maybe?  

I would hope that next season we play the best players available. 

• Like 1