Westwood Going

6 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

A fully fit Westwood is worth 10 points over the young lads over a full championship season imho.

The stuff I cannot comment on is Westwood going to be fully fit again or is he going to be struggling with injuries again this year? Do we need to get more high earners off the book due to FFP rules?

if we don’t need to offload and he’s gonna be fit then keep him and let’s push for promotion with him in our team because he’s the best we’ve got. 

Never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Very injury prone.The lack of respect for Westwood and appreciation that he is head and shoulders above Dawson and Wildsmith is staggering.

If Westwood leave people seem to miss that may then trigger someone like FF leaving too,

Its a massive sign we are not aiming for promotion if we allow westwood to leave.

It's football, you don't get sentimental over these things. He missed 3/4 of last season. If we keep him another year and he misses most of it again, what then?

• Like 1

I'd hate to see him go, however from a business point of view it makes sense as we are lucky to have two great prospects, pushing each other. 

Only time will tell, but fantastic servant, great keeper and ill certainly wish him well should he move on. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Absolutely correct. But all due respect to the lad, hes been great for us!

I don't doubt that for a moment. Best keeper we've had since Pressman by a country mile.

If it weren't for last season's injuries I'd be all in favour of extending his contract, but I've seen us hold on to players longer than we should have far too many times over the years, especially those that are injured and we wait for them to come back only it never quite happens.

Same applies to others in the squad too, but let's leave it to Jos as he knows far more about the real situation than any of us on here.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

It's football, you don't get sentimental over these things. He missed 3/4 of last season. If we keep him another year and he misses most of it again, what then?

16 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I don't doubt that for a moment. Best keeper we've had since Pressman by a country mile.

If it weren't for last season's injuries I'd be all in favour of extending his contract, but I've seen us hold on to players longer than we should have far too many times over the years, especially those that are injured and we wait for them to come back only it never quite happens.

Same applies to others in the squad too, but let's leave it to Jos as he knows far more about the real situation than any of us on here.

I believe people are focusing on Westwoods injury way too much.

By your thinking we should also be getting rid of Forestieri,Tom Lees,Kieren Lee,Gary Hooper,Barry Bannan,Steven Fletcher,Sam Hutchinson e.t.c,e.t.c. in fact practically all of the first team plus second string players.

There is little reason to think all of these players will have another season like this one,though I don't doubt some could especially Matias and Abdi.

FFS.

Ballsy decision to part ways with the best GK in the division, even if he has had some injury concerns the last 3 years.

Never been a fan of having two young guns battle it out for the #1 spot, experience is essential in that backline especially later on in the season, we are already going to struggle to replace Loovens leadership abilities KW going makes it even harder. 

Only positive i see from this is keeping Dawson & Wildsmith at the club and for now content with battling each other for the starting spot. KW staying makes it highly likely one or both of those will want to go elsewhere and 5 years from now we might find ourselves wishing we'd kept them happy...

I'd keep him and sell either Dawson/Wildsmith, you don't win the league by getting rid of your best players, that philosophy will never change. 

5 hours ago, Hawkowl said:

I believe people are focusing on Westwoods injury way too much.

By your thinking we should also be getting rid of Forestieri,Tom Lees,Kieren Lee,Gary Hooper,Barry Bannan,Steven Fletcher,Sam Hutchinson e.t.c,e.t.c. in fact practically all of the first team plus second string players.

There is little reason to think all of these players will have another season like this one,though I don't doubt some could especially Matias and Abdi.

FFS.

Yes that is exactly what I am thinking. If the players can't prove their fitness or at least being a significant way towards it then we need to get them off the books, otherwise, Lee, Hoope, Fletcher, Hutch et al end up being the next Mattias or Abdi.

I'd hate to lose any of them, but they are of no use whatsoever unless they are actually physically capable of playing, not just one game here or there but 30 plus games per season. At least with Westwood we do have sufficient cover.

Hooper and FLetcher? Well again we're not exactly short of strikers, but Lee and Hutch are a big problem and the others may have to go to fund their replacement.

Edited by Utah Owl

2 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Ballsy decision to part ways with the best GK in the division, even if he has had some injury concerns the last 3 years.

Never been a fan of having two young guns battle it out for the #1 spot, experience is essential in that backline especially later on in the season, we are already going to struggle to replace Loovens leadership abilities KW going makes it even harder. 

Only positive i see from this is keeping Dawson & Wildsmith at the club and for now content with battling each other for the starting spot. KW staying makes it highly likely one or both of those will want to go elsewhere and 5 years from now we might find ourselves wishing we'd kept them happy...

I'd keep him and sell either Dawson/Wildsmith, you don't win the league by getting rid of your best players, that philosophy will never change. 

Pressman managed it without problem, having said that it's still a gamble.

A great signing, but in simple terms despite how challenging last season was, we didn’t really miss him.

Let Dawson/Wildsmith compete and bring in acheap but experienced back up to help their development further.

14 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

So using your idea we will be also selling Hooper as not played more than 30 games in a season since we signed him, Lee missed all but a dozen games last year so he has to go, Hutch injury prone lets get rid, hunt never fit needs to go. Boyd injured first half of season has to go, Fessi out for 3/4 of the season let's get rid, Bannan injured for half the season he too must go.

you don't get rid of your best players because of one bad season, you definitely done sell them when they have just return from injury you sell then when you can get most for them.

why do people think Wildsmith and Dawson have improved so much...... Because they have a top quality keeper to learn from. Getting rid of Westwood would be a massive mistake not to mention with only a year left on his contract we won't get that much any way. Better to sell one of Wildsmith or Dawson would command a bigger fee and we have Wallis coming through in 18 months. They can't both play.

17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So using your idea we will be also selling Hooper as not played more than 30 games in a season since we signed him, Lee missed all but a dozen games last year so he has to go, Hutch injury prone lets get rid, hunt never fit needs to go. Boyd injured first half of season has to go, Fessi out for 3/4 of the season let's get rid, Bannan injured for half the season he too must go.

you don't get rid of your best players because of one bad season, you definitely done sell them when they have just return from injury you sell then when you can get most for them.

why do people think Wildsmith and Dawson have improved so much...... Because they have a top quality keeper to learn from. Getting rid of Westwood would be a massive mistake not to mention with only a year left on his contract we won't get that much any way. Better to sell one of Wildsmith or Dawson would command a bigger fee and we have Wallis coming through in 18 months. They can't both play.

Yep hooper should go , he’s unable to stay fit . Lee should go as he unfortunately is knackered and Hutchinson , well not only is he finished he’s also massively overrated. I’d love him to go. 

These players are not only massively injury prone , they are ageing and past their best. It’s time to re build the squad sensibly 

Guest Arcadianrocket

Without Westwood Chansiri and this new era may not eve have started.

Kept us up first season keeping a clean sheet record.

Second season equals record and playoffs, where his performance away at Brighton was inspirational.

Third Season - Playoffs.

One bad season and Owlstalks armchair professors have deemed him surplus to requirements.

Why does Westwood not get the support and some of the other players on here? Some who haven't performed for more then two seasons.

Before selling all our players who have had bad injury records over the last 18 months, shall we trust Jos to get them all fit by a proper training and conditioning regime. We may just see all our players fit for the start of the season and for the most part stay fit. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Yep hooper should go , he’s unable to stay fit . Lee should go as he unfortunately is knackered and Hutchinson , well not only is he finished he’s also massively overrated. I’d love him to go. 

These players are not only massively injury prone , they are ageing and past their best. It’s time to re build the squad sensibly 

I half heartedly agree with you. Hooper, lee, Hutchinson are players of the past, and unlikely to hit the heights they previously did 

time to shake it up and build the squad again. We need something new