Random pre-season games you were at

22 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

That was the one where we were attacked before and after the game. Same at Go Ahead Eagles on the same tour.

Luckily about 50 of us there on a 40th otherwise it could have been really nasty.

Best by far was USA 2005 closely followed by Copa Ibiza !

Huh. I went with friends, one Dutch, and my girlfriend, I remember overhearing some guy talking on a phone saying he smelt trouble, I didn't see anything

Just now, MalagaOwl said:

Huh. I went with friends, one Dutch, and my girlfriend, I remember overhearing some guy talking on a phone saying he smelt trouble, I didn't see anything

We had trouble waiting for us at The railway station at 11am and sporadically all through the afternoon and night, even next morning when we caught the train back to Amsterdam!

Dunfermline away...probably 2001 maybe?  We lost, but I remember I'd just told all of the Scot's around me (went with a Dunfermline mate) that Sibon was one to watch out for, cue hium scoring a screamer from 25 yards.  I couldn't help but stand up and applaud, which didn't go down too well.

Ended up in some disgusting dive nightclub with the stickiest carpets...then at 1am in walked in a bride and groom, in full wedding attire.  

• Haha 1

I was at the Dunfermline game. The sibon goals was one of the greats. Bully up front for Dunfermline and was like drogba ! Bullied us the whole game.

the Everton game mentioned was a classic, massive storm on drive up, and the game was mental. I am sure ‘ dave’ ndumbu was unplayable for us, and kilbane screamed one in from about 30 yards for them.

the worst I ever went to was Kilmarnock away . Nil nil , absolutely awful.

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

Kuqi scoring a hat trick at Macclesfield

Losing 4-0 at Mansfield on a Monday night

Beating the Nigeria national team 3-1 at Hillsborough

Losing 6-3 at home to Everton - my mate left the game with a few minutes to go when we were losing 3-1 and missed a late goalfest

Winning 4-0 at Stocksbridge Park Steels - nothing special as a game but it was my boy's first ever Wednesday match.

tbh now I'm older and wiser I realise that pre season friendlies are usually as dull as ditchwater so I only bother going to them now if it's a big name at home or an away ground that I haven't been to before. Ticked off quite a few new grounds that way like York, Grimsby, Mansfield, Worksop

What year was that Nigeria match?  Often thought I dreamt it, no one seems to remember it, think there was only about 3000 there.

Guest Jack the Hat

Bromby back in the 80s . They were danish champions at the time I think. Strolled to a 5-0 victory. I scored the third. Only joking. It was the second. Think it was the chapman era.

44 minutes ago, Watson said:

What year was that Nigeria match?  Often thought I dreamt it, no one seems to remember it, think there was only about 3000 there.

82/83ish.  The same season Bannister and Gary Megson signed.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Watson said:

Can remember the game , they were all built like brick s hit houses and kicked lumps out of Mel Sterland who scored a freekick.

Think it was when they was no 1981 African Cup Of Nations and for  World Cup Qualifiers came to England for some friendlies 1981-82 season.

• Thanks 1

1982 - Hearts v Sheff Utd !! ... Bear with me...

We were  on “holiday” (mom , dad , me and brother) for the week in Edinburgh (money was tight then :tango:) ...

My dad was Swfc thru and thru, hence my obsession . He noticed that the Pigs were playing Hearts in a pre season friendly whilst we were there , mainly because it was Terry Currans SUFC debut ... :duntmatter:

My dad loved TC , needless to say was devastated when he crossed the divide so couldn’t wait to “give him abuse” at this game. Anyhow, the game started - We were sat in the Hearts end / stand .... TC was on the wing in front of us , it was all set up for my dad to give him hell but no ... he stands up and starts singing Weds song... TC turns round and gives him thumbs up !! Dad sits down and says he’s forgiven ...:ghoulguy:

Hearts won 1-0 (i think it was) - Can recall my dad telling all the Hearts fans we were Owls , cheering on Hearts against the “Pigs”.  Random , but this thread has stirred the memory bank - isn’t football ace !!! 

• Like 2

Lawrie Madden testimonial 1990, we had just been relegated from old first division and them lot across town had won promotion previous season and this game was arranged just before following season. 

Smashed em 3-0 in front of 15,000. 

Newcastle at home around 2003, won 4-3 after trailing 3-1, brilliant pre season friendly in front of around 13,000. 

From many years ago, pre season 79-80, we had signed Jim Holton from Man United who we thought was going to be our big center half and leader we was crying out for at time, broke his leg in pre season friendly against Middlesborough and never played again, thankfully soon after we paid Southampton £100k for Mick Pickering who turned out to be a great signing.

Edited by bradowl

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

Bromby back in the 80s . They were danish champions at the time I think. Strolled to a 5-0 victory. I scored the third. Only joking. It was the second. Think it was the chapman era.

That match was arranged for Ron to have a look at their 20 year old keeper ...... he had a mare, we didn’t take up our option..... Peter Schmiecal.

• Like 1

Didn't we play benfica or one of the Spanish teams after they had won the European cup the season before. Seem to remember it being a bit tasty for a pre-season game with a few challenges flying in.

23 minutes ago, bradowl said:

From many years ago, pre season 79-80, we had signed Jim Holton from Man United who we thought was going to be our big center half and leader we was crying out for at time, broke his leg in pre season friendly against Middlesborough and never played again, thankfully soon after we paid Southampton £100k for Mick Pickering who turned out to be a great signing.

Pretty sure Jim Holton signed in either 81 or 82. I remember him signing and I didn't start going / following until early 81.