Alan Biggs "#SWFC needs optimism balanced by realism"

Optimism balanced by realism. That’s not a bad combination for a football club.

Too often the first is replaced by that word “expectation” and the second is forgotten completely. Not so at Sheffield Wednesday and that’s one reason why this column is more hopeful about next season than it was about the one just gone.

I thought the place was gripped by tension; the feeling that the manager HAD to win promotion at the third attempt, that much the same team HAD to succeed. Expected to make the top six if not the top two, they fell well short.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-more-realistic-expectations-can-only-be-a-good-thing-for-sheffield-wednesday-1-9168866

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Posting pithy childish comments after an article is posted from a local journalist is soooooooo 2017

Come on Owlstalk - we're better than that

To be fair, Alan (and all the others would be getting a lot less if they discussed the real issues.

Like Stripe-gate.  

Even better nail their colours to the mast and join CAMFSABS.

Twaddle..It really is ..."Optimism balanced by realism"...What in the name of f.ook does that mean.....?

"We... are... goin' up...but then again... maybe not"..

.Its hardly a f.ookin' chant is it?

How can you be optimistic and yet curb your expectations?

Unless of course yer expectations are relegation and owt better than that is an "Optimistic" outlook....Its a bloody low mark to aim at.

I'm gonna go with me "Pessimism borderin' on alcholism " again...its well thought out theory...You are unhappy as f.ook during the games...then drink to forget them.

Sunday morning is usually a f.ooker, but once you are over that..its OK

Also a mixture of "Fatalism and Optimism " is a really good one...You stand on the Eastbank singin'

"We're goin' up..we're goin' down, we're stayin put, we're goin', up... we're goin' down"..

To the bounce thingy

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be fair, Alan (and all the others would be getting a lot less if they discussed the real issues.

They really wouldn't

Some of our fanbase find trolling and hurling names at journalists a new sport sadly

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

They really wouldn't

Some of our fanbase find trolling and hurling names at journalists a new sport sadly

It's the way of things isn't it. I mean the days are gone of the local hacks tracking down stories.  Seeing their snouts in the Hen and Chickens for the latest underworld shenanigans long before the dibble.

You just don't see hard drinking men leant against the bar in the Dove and Rainbow these days chatting with the team manager who's asking him to do some finding out for him about a potential signing and his possible vices.

I mean. It's a different world isn't it.  I feel for them in a way because by the time they have finished a piece the instantaneous nature of the internet means it's already out there. Penguin has tweeted before they can go to press.

If they want to keep up they have to sit on the forums don't they. Monitoring what us clowns are on about. 

I've even seen lines in their in the past copy and pasted - complete with drunken spelling mistakes! 

It's not the profession it was.

Still. They get to watch a lot of football. Don't they.

What next, teachers complaining about snow days? "I' must get to work. I must teach the children!"

They give as good as they take.

I need more sustenance Neil. I've had nothing but jam sandwiches since Saturday night and Stubbs is away for another whole week!

I'm starting to feel funny.

wins.thumb.png.16c819e81dbd2845096d059822e28e18.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They really wouldn't

It's not sad at all.

There's no insight or new angle on the club.

It's an opinion piece...and what happens in reaction to opinion pieces is what you see here.

It would make a meh reaction if it was on this forum... rightly.

• Like 1

I'm happy we've got Biggs, he's a bit of a journo dinosaur but to be honest I like that, reminds of the days when truth and facts were important to people.......now opinion is all that matters, personal opinion at that. 

I hate to watch him on tv though, it's like pulling teeth!!!! FFS lol

5 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's not sad at all.

There's no insight or new angle on the club.

It's an opinion piece...and what happens in reaction to opinion pieces is what you see here.

It would make a meh reaction if it was on this forum... rightly.

I think it's pretty sad that people can't post opinion pieces in 2018 and get called out for it

Opinion pieces are way way way more interesting than a made up transfer rumour, some nonsense about how we're going to go bust, or how someone at the match hurled abuse at Nuhiu all through the match

Owlstalk Shop