Parachute Payments - a simple fix

I can't understand why the F.A/Premier League cannot enforce a contract rule where any player who signs a contact in any league has to also sign a 50% reduction clause too (maybe more). This means that when a team are relegated they do not need £40m hand outs to pay off their exisiting contracts. Within the reduced terms the players will all have a price set which will allow the club to regain some money and not prevent a player moving on. 

I strongly feel this will be more of an incentive for players to fight relegation and not just give up, knowing they have a 5 year contract etc. 

Therefore parachute payments would not be needed...

Discuss? 

Parachute payments aren't needed anyway as the relegated club can sell their assetts (players) for money and buy a cheaper option. Stoke will get a decent wedge for Shaquiri, Shawcross et all, Let some of the older ones go and be quids in, rely on a few kids sprinkled with a bit of experience here and there and bobs your uncle. The problem comes if you spaff loads on expensive players and can't sell them if you go down or if they are out of contract, although the wages are off your bill of course in the case of the latter.

I’m sure relegation clauses are included already with some players .  The  obscene amounts players are paid is the issue and money is the reason there is a divide in the Premiership. It’s clear teams need financial help when relegated though . I would like to think that winning games is the reason any player tries and not just for the pay cheque . 

10 minutes ago, Lee Davies said:

I can't understand why the F.A/Premier League cannot enforce a contract rule where any player who signs a contact in any league has to also sign a 50% reduction clause too (maybe more). This means that when a team are relegated they do not need £40m hand outs to pay off their exisiting contracts. Within the reduced terms the players will all have a price set which will allow the club to regain some money and not prevent a player moving on. 

I strongly feel this will be more of an incentive for players to fight relegation and not just give up, knowing they have a 5 year contract etc. 

Therefore parachute payments would not be needed...

Discuss? 

The trouble with that is players won’t want to sign for relegation candidates anymore? 

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

The trouble with that is players won’t want to sign for relegation candidates anymore? 

This is taken into consideration by most players when signing for a club , bonus clauses for staying up will be sought by agents same as the club set up a reduction in wages if relegated 

Parachute payments are a mockery

Middlesborough had a player on loan from Everton last night

Aston Villa had one on loan from Man Utd

Where is the fairness

I'd ban parachute payments, and I'd ban loans too

That would stop the big clubs stock piling the best youngsters

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

A much more sensible rule would be to ensure that parachute payments are used for their purpose and not to be spent on transfer fees and wages. 

Maybe state that wage bills cannot go up and a limit on transfer fees paid.

Parchute payments are completely unfair paired a long side ffp. If chairman could invest and spend at will then fine, but half the league kicks off with their boot laces tied together.

parachute payment  is a joke

next season you've got westbrom,Swansea,stoke,hull,Norwich,Middlesbrough,villa (if they don't go up) and some others with pp

gives teams like Ipswich no chance of competing.

yet we've got a chairman willing to spend whatever it takes to get promoted but some stupid rule prevents that from happening.

At the very least the maximum parachute payment should be a one off and equal to the size of FFP over one year.

You watch - we will manage to one day scrape our way into the prem and they will then abolish parachute payments altogether the following year....

1 hour ago, King_Monkey said:

Players have a decrease in wages written in to their contracts already, not necessarily 50% but at a level agreed between club, agent and player.

I read somewhere that Jack Rodwell is taking a wage cut from £70,000 to £41,000 now that Sunderland have been relegated!

7 hours ago, mike312 said:

I read somewhere that Jack Rodwell is taking a wage cut from £70,000 to £41,000 now that Sunderland have been relegated!

My heart bleeds for him. 

8 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

At the very least the maximum parachute payment should be a one off and equal to the size of FFP over one year.

You watch - we will manage to one day scrape our way into the prem and they will then abolish parachute payments altogether the following year....

That could happen, but it won't affect us cos we'll be staying there :Chansiri::CEO::luhukay: with this team in place.

FFS

• Haha 1