What price would you pay?

Not about ticket prices, more Would we go up at any price in terms of football style?

Reflecting on the strong negative reactions to Carlos even in season 2, watching Derby last night and this (Grealish apart) rubbishy rustic second semi, I’m actually not sure whether getting to the Prem at any price is where folk are at any more. 

As a Megson Cult member until recently I used to think “let’s get there and then worry about it..” but now I’m not so sure - I must be getting old / or wise /or daft - maybe there’s more to footy than winning....

So I’ll ask the question, how many of us would take a Warnock - Pulis style of footy  if it guaranteed us promotion? 

1 minute ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Not about ticket prices, more Would we go up at any price in terms of football style?

Reflecting on the strong negative reactions to Carlos even in season 2, watching Derby last night and this (Grealish apart) rubbishy rustic second semi, I’m actually not sure whether getting to the Prem at any price is where folk are at any more. 

As a Megson Cult member until recently I used to think “let’s get there and then worry about it..” but now I’m not so sure - I must be getting old / or wise /or daft - maybe there’s more to footy than winning....

So I’ll ask the question, how many of us would take a Warnock - Pulis style of footy  if it guaranteed us promotion? 

I think there would have been less moaning about the poo  football last season if it had been winning poo football- we only made the playoffs with that late run but looked like we were going to miss out for a long time.

If we had been serious contenders for the automatic spots no one would have really complained at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just been bored out of my brains watching Middlesborough

They're playing one up front and need a goal

So with 25 minutes to go, they put a striker on......................and take off their main striker Asombalonga

So no thanks, you can keep your Tony Pullis

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

The problem with Pulis, Warnock and to an extent Carlos post first season is when you play terrible football and don't get instant success then things go sour very quickly. If you're someone who follows on your phone or by watching GSS then of course you don't care about style but if you're in the stands every week then you want to see progressive football. I'd rather finish 21st with Jokanovic football than 7th with Pulis football.

22 minutes ago, torryowl said:

winning  is everything how you achieve it doesn't really matter . 

If you are a player, maybe that is so. If you are a fan paying +£40 a game then maybe some want a bit of style. Rotherham the other year, we won with a last minute penalty. Did I enjoy it? Nope I'd lost all interest as it was dogshit, at that point I couldn't care less about winning, losing or drawing. I'd honestly stop going if we won every game 1-0 playing like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

We would all accept it. The thing is we all love winning football. I don't recollect there being many, if any, dissenters during the Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson eras. In fact it was a badge of honour that Wednesdayites wore with pride. We loved the likes of Kenny Dalglish bemoaning the fact that our style of football didn't just let them win. We all loved it. We loved Ron Atkinson more though because we played the beautiful game.

Edited by mark1948
  • Like 1

Negative, dour, attritional football is tolerable as long as you get the results. 

Once results start to slide then the fans will turn very quickly. 

Whether it's right or wrong, I do think those managers who play more attacking football tend to get more leniency when results aren't going so well. 

If Boro had lost but created 4,5 or 6 decent opportunities, then they wouldn't be getting so much criticism tonight. 

Edited by SiJ

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Negative, dour, attritional football is tolerable as long as you get the results. 

Once results start to slide then the fans will turn very quickly. 

Whether it's right or wrong, I do think those managers who play more attacking football tend to get more leniency when results aren't going so well. 

If Boro had lost tonight but created 4,5 or 6 decent opportunities, then they wouldn't be getting so much criticism tonight. 

Whilst Jack & Howard had well organised solid defences it was nevertheless attacking football playing,what former Liverpool Manager Bill Shankly called the early ball. Its what its detractors called the long ball or kick and rush. It wasn't pretty but it could be very exciting. This style got us two promotions. It took Wimbledon from the fourth Division to the top division in successive seasons.

Nobody moaned.

Edited by mark1948
Added the Wimbledon bit

But the Wilkinson and Charlton sides were still good sides. Yes they didn’t have the style of BFR but they were still great to watch.  I loved watching Gary Shelton, and in my memory he was a better footballer than Carlton. Mel Sterland is widely recognised as the second best right back in modern times behind Roland Nilsson. Possibly not as good a footballer but my god he had the heart of a lion and scored a lot more goals. Different styles but no lesser players or achievements. The style argument only comes up when Darren Potter is passing sideways and can’t land a corner.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Plonk said:

But the Wilkinson and Charlton sides were still good sides. Yes they didn’t have the style of BFR but they were still great to watch.  I loved watching Gary Shelton, and in my memory he was a better footballer than Carlton. Mel Sterland is widely recognised as the second best right back in modern times behind Roland Nilsson. Possibly not as good a footballer but my god he had the heart of a lion and scored a lot more goals. Different styles but no lesser players or achievements. The style argument only comes up when Darren Potter is passing sideways and can’t land a corner.  

Agree. I wonder if the X factor that made Jack and Wilko teams exciting was their speed and original  “Gegen press” - the likes of  Curran and  Varadi in front of marauding midfielders who never gave the opposites a rest. Boro tonight didn’t do anything to get their fans going. 

I couldn't care less about the prem these days .  Udders stayed up after losing more than they won and drew put together and scored far less than a goal a match . They have got a couple of hundred million though for being awful . I'd rather have decent affordable ( obviously that's relative ) seasons in the championship rather than being butchered in the prem most weeks and paying shed loads to watch it just so we can see a full away end while being hammered by the Scousers , cockneys and mancs . We have teams we love to hate and some with big followings to look forward to next year so bring them on lol

If your not competing at the highest level then what's the point competing at all.

Many on here will say Warnock, Pulls, Bruce, McCarthy and Megson are footballing throw back that belong to yesterday's game, I don't agree, they are proven at taking teams up.

I do believe we now have a manager who has this quality, yes it's all been done abroad but the principal is the same and I genuinely feel good times are coming.

It's worth remembering that direct football is not negative football or "hoof" ball. 

Stuff like harrying the opposition, getting balls into the box and winning second balls can be all part of attacking, entertaining football. fizz - Fergie's United teams of the 90s were partly based on this. 

The kind of football that does my head in is nothing, aimless football like what Boro served up tonight. 

Aimless hoofing, pointless sideways passing, no one taking a chance. 

There's a big difference in going for it, like Wilkinson did, his teams often had 20 attempts at goal

On the evidence of tonight, Pullis plays defensive, don't push players forward, give nothing away football, and try to steal a goal from a set piece

Winning or not, people would soon tire of negative football

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.