SWFC V BARCA PHOTOS

22 minutes ago, alan48 said:

Brilliant - I was there for the home games and we played really well . Little did we know that Barca would go on to achieve what they have . Why cant we do that ?

Dave_Richards_3528408b.jpg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Did we only use the 'West Brom' shirts for European games?

17 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

'Sheffield'....meh.

Interesting  shirt variation...

:ph34r:

Don't know why we used that shirt for the home game, here's a shot from the game at Camp Nou were we're playing in our classic strip. Really weird. 

IMG_2362.PNG

Great pictures. Long before my time but a truly fascinating part of Wednesday's history. What was the atmosphere like during that European campaign? I remember the atmosphere against Kaiserslautern in the early 90s being incredible.

Also to add about the contrasting histories of the two clubs, Barcelona have a former Wednesday player Patrick O'Connell who also played for Manchester United and Hull City, to thank for saving their club from nearly going out of existence during the Spanish Civil War. Whilst he was their manager in the 1930s he took them on a North American tour during the Spanish Civil War, which ultimately prevented them from folding long before we played them and long before they became the historic European giant club we all know them as.  

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

The white sleeves were good in my opinion but we didn't use them for the full season.

Yes- it was very cold in Sheffield the week before the home game.  I was hoping there would still be snow on the pitch for the game but it had melted.  I had it in my mind that their players would never have seen snow before.  I didn't realize that Barcelona is very close to the mountain snow resorts of the Pyrenees.

All I remember of the game is a crunching tackle by Benitez on Alan Finney which should have been a straight red.

The headline reads 'The snow and the cold helped Sheffield but they didn't decide the tie'.   Magnifying it, it says they gave us a good football lesson in the first 45 minutes.  I don't recall that!  Cheeky sods.

If you put the printed pages online, I can translate for you.   It's in Castilian Spanish.  Franco banned Catalan.     The photo from the 2nd Barca magazine is from the Nou Camp game of course.  You can see the balcony wall of the 2nd tier.