Who's your top 3 opponents (players) you saw against us at Hillsborough?

1 hour ago, rawowl said:

Gazza 1990 spurs won 4-2 Lineker hatrick. Gazza was unplayable that afternoon.

GAZZA - I third this - best individual performance by an English player I’ve seen at Hillsboro. I mean - Shez and Palmer couldn’t get near him - World Cup year 1990 - superb. 

GINOLA - His 1st season at Newcastle - I’ve never seen anyone beat people so easily - culminated in a perfect goal curled inside the post at the Kop end - Just Another Wednesday celebrated it with a cartoon of his shirt “#14 Texpiss”

PELE - Gave John Holsgrove the run around during the 3 Day week....

Remember Barmby and Windass destroying us for Hull in League 1 I think, 04-05 time or season before. And Brookes this for them lot, superb performance, had to stop myself from applauding him off the pitch if I’m honest

Tony Coleman in the Manchester City relegation match in 1970.

A packed crowd against an indifferent Man City squad until Coleman got involved and he not only beat us single handedly that soaking wet night but he also sent us into the doldrums for the next decade and a half.

Never have so many been destroyed by so few, etc.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 14/05/2018 at 20:06, GEE said:

Micheal Owen back in the day, more recently Rhodes & knockaert

Knockaert is a great shout. 

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Peter Beardsley one time also. Him and Ginola murdering us. 

peter Beardsley without doubt and geogie kinkladze when he was at man city . remember ginola having a stinker once and Worthington and king kept him in there pockets when he played for spurs.

1. Ruud Gullit
  2. Jurgen Klinsmann
  3. Marcel Witeczek

All had incredible games against us. Gullit could have been playing in carpet slippers and would still have ran the show in midfield. Klinsmann was just the complete striker in his day and was sensational in the game at Hillsborough. Witeczek was the attacking midfielder who tore us a new one in the UEFA cup but that night still sends shivers down my spine for the atmosphere.

Davor Šuker was the best player I have seen at Hillsborough not against us, He was class in the Euro96 game and the goal he scored against the best keeper in the world at the time was sublime.

Michael Owen with his first hat trick for Liverpool February 1998, I went home and told the wife that England might just have the best player in the world. 

Shearer playing for Southampton in 1991/92, you could tell how good he was going to be 

Those two were easy picks, the third was more difficult, so let me throw in that pain in the Wednesday backside, Neville Southall.Best keeper in the country imo in the late 1980's

Other notable footballers who obviously were a class above, Lineker, Gazza and Guillet (probably spelt wrong) but the Dutch lad playing for Chelsea February 1997. 

Best team Manchester United 99/00 at old Trafford 4-0. 

Kenny Dalglish, we never could beat Liverpool at Hillsborough in the mid 80's and whenever they scored he created most of it.

Paul Canoville - Our nemesis v Chelsea, you could feel the wave of fear whenever his name was announced

Ian Wright 

Too many goalies who had blinders and too many refs who were blind!

Random but I remember watching us at home to Watford maybe 4/5 seasons ago, the year they went up to the PL and we got stuffed 3-0 - this was when we were a fairly decent side at home and under Stuart Gray very solid defensively.

We were completely played off the park, couldn't believe how good Watford looked when they attacked, the pass and move, the ball movement it was al exceptional. If I remember FF & Abdi both played for Watford and Igahlo? was phenomenal as were our two future players.

Trevor Benjamin - Cambridge United (0-1) - We put out a team that included the likes of Di Canio, Carbone, Jonk and Des Walker expecting a walkover, yet this fella ran the show up top. 

Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Town (4-4) - Every time he got the ball in and around our box, he looked like he was gonna score. Also had a turn of pace that we've seldom seen since. 

Michael Owen - Liverpool - (3-3) - I remember not even being bothered that we'd ended up drawing after seeing a performance like that. Amazing pace with the ball!